hello world :)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unicutie

Reaction score
Hi :) my name is Bren and I just bought a van so I am joining the forum. My van is a 1995 GMC rally wagon 3500 extended. It's green :) My friend who went with me to pick it up has already named it, haha - she called it the tank ;)

about myself, i'm a trans female, 6'3, computer nerd type (linux) but also like to just generally build stuff :) My dog's name is Napoleon. I got a van big enough for the both of us :) My plan is to travel and find seasonal work, i have a few connections and am looking for more ::) I also like to make music and am currently obsessed with synthesizers. I'm a guitar/bass player preferring bass. I want to learn how to use my computer skills to make money remotely. I also want to learn new skills like carpentry and welding. In my dream fantasy I am a bowyer and I build classy bows and knives :) I do have the bowyer's bible! And I have a bow that's half finished, i just don't have a work bench yet! someday :) Also I'm on the internet a lot and chat on freenode.  

about my van, It has 60k miles on it and used to be a catering van. The windows are already tinted pretty dark. It's a craigslist van haha but I feel good about it. the engine is a 350 and it's a 4speed auto. I keep reaching for the shifter! haha my car is manual trans. It's a little beat up but my budget is low and I think it's in good shape for the age and price. The paint is okay-ish but the restaurant put some kind of paint stickers along the top and it looks like a$$ now haha.  it's all peeling and some of it won't even come off at all. it just looks ugly lol. I'm probably going to sand it all down and paint the whole roof white. also those mesh sticker things were on the back windows and they peeled them off leaving behind a residue that seems to be on there pretty good, not sure what to do about that. maybe just get a new mesh thingy in a nicer color like black ;)

the interior is a mess, they already pulled the fabric off the ceiling and the rotting insulation just went everywhere. I'm considering what to do with the cabin area, if i should leave it as is since it's set up as a passenger van - or tearing it out and doing it custom. I'm thinking about doing only the carpet and the roof and just leaving the side panels with the original interior. Mainly because my budget is low ; ) But also idk it's in okay shape still. If I do more to it, it will be down the road awhile. If the van holds up and proves itself then I will spend time making it look nice. Otherwise I won't waste the money and just save up for the tank mark 2 :) The only thing is I want to be able to build stuff into the walls. *ponder*

I'm still thinking about it, but i'm kinda winging this so I'll probably just start with a cot in the back or something lol and then do more as I have time.

anyway that's my intro :) nice to meet you all.
-bren

Welcome to the CRVL Forums   :) 

Not too bad for a first Van.   I like the idea of painting the roof white and think you'll be glad you did.   In time you may even want to paint it all white.  (LOL one side white and the other side green....when it's cold and sunny leave the green side facing the sun, and if it's hot the white side facing the sun)   But it's what ever you want to do.  It's going to be your home to serve you. 

I'll invite you to take a look at my sites below.  It will give you some ideas to get your Van built "basic" to get on the road simply and quickly.  (it won't be a Cold Weather outfit but if you are wanting to move with warmer weather or build through this winter  to be ready for the spring season in about 4 months from now this could
work)  Then you could insulate for bad weather and build more elaborately.

The other site is for planning trips and to sustain you once you're on the road. 

My first Van had me fixing 3/8" Masonite to the floor and then laying indoor outdoor carpeting over that as a first project.  Then rigging a bed and building a cabinet with a cook top and sink.  You could look for a used
kitchen floor cabinet that has double doors and only have to build a top for a your cooking and sink.  A five gallon plastic jerry jug for water and an ice chest would be your basics.   Flea markets and yard sales will make
outfitting the rest affordable. 

Good luck !

Welcome to the CRVL forums Bren! Sounds like you have a bought a good van to build out as your traveling home. Don't forget to post pictures when you get it cleaned up a bit!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Hi,
Welcome to the fourm! Sounds like you're well on your way. You have a van and a plan, what more could anyone ask for?! Post pictures as you go, maybe one of Napoleon too.

Welcome to the forum!

And heck, don't wait to clean it up before you post pics... :D

I posted pics of the absolute mess that mine was in when I got to working on it. It gives some of the others a sense of relief that they didn't have to start out that way, if nothing else!

There are product to remove that goo, some work better than others though!

well here's some pics :) you can see the stuff on the roof and windows ... I'll probably paint black over the weather stripping around the windows since that stuff is seriously on there. The window glass itself has adhesive residue all over it. But the other side window looks clean so idk haha.

me with the Tank X)
KRgVJ8w.jpg

my attempt at photographing the residue on the window glass from the decal. not sure how to go about this problem.
La0ygRW.jpg

the $h*tty looking roof :
JKwamau.jpg

the interior:
18Y3pqg.jpg

and Napoleon! X)
EbajyXw.png

Looks like a good start to the life. Do try to make it to RTR if you can.

Hi Bren,
By the time I got here to read your intro, the pics of your van roof and the interior have a message saying the images are no longer available. But at least I get to see the most important shots.. you and Napolean. Don't let that doubtful look on his face in the pic slow you down from your conversion dreams.

You'll often see many of us saying that it is good to start out with the basics and then live in the van (or camp for a few weekends) to see what you really need and what you don't.

Keep us posted!

Hello and welcome Bren, looks like you are off to a good start. Maybe see you at RTR..

An auto detailer can tell you what they use to get decal residue off, I can't remember the name of the product but it was not expensive. Rob

Hi Bren,

Welcome to the forum! I am sure you will find it very helpful here. Hope to see you at the RYR.

Caryn

ok weird about the images. I did something weird haha. anyway here is another try.
the roof:
cpqfCpv.jpg

the interior:

tflQ0TD.jpg

Bren, welcome to the forum.

I hope to see you at the RTR even though I doubt my rig will be complete by then.

Every Road Leads Home said:
Hi,
  Welcome to the fourm!  Sounds like you're well on your way.  You have a van and a plan, what more could anyone ask for?!  Post pictures as you go, maybe one of Napoleon too.

A van and a plan, love it!!!!! You sound like you have a lot of good life skills to take on the road. And please, yes, pics....we are pondering our what's and hows ourselves! Blessings abound!

cool, thanks for the advice everybody :) it didn't honestly occur to me that people might be looking to me for inspiration! I'll try to document everything. I'm still lurking all the relevant forums and reading through all the past posts, getting caught up. I have so much to learn still! but i'm pretty quick. And yea my plan is to start with the bare essentials and add on as I go.

I'd love to make it to rtr if i can this year, it sounds like an awesome meetup. :)

rvpopeye said:
Try WD40 on that goo.

First, although I think the world of popeye and hope to meet him someday, I must warn you, listening to him COULD cause you to start chugging spinach.  Just want to warn you.

Second, welcome aboard.  Some of us are very nutz.  But will give you the shirts off of our backs!  :)