Would it be possible to install truck-to-camper pass-through?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squid

Reaction score
3RBcNh.png
Like this patented one?  I've never seen a picture of anyone doing it.  You see a lot of females like the idea of 4WD with camper so as not to get stuck offroad.  It's difficult to find other 4WD RV-s.  They like a hard shell, and the idea of being able to jump into the driver's seat and taking off if need be without going outside like in a Class C...but it's difficult to find a small class C that has 4WD.
So if you had a say 3/4 ton 4wd truck, could this be fabricated like in this patent?

Yes it could be fabricated.

Some reasons it is not seen much could be,

- that no one has wanted to pay licensing to the owner of the patent.

- it lowers the strength of the cabin / truck bed, as they are typically designed.
This can however be compensated for, if one were to implement the system by cutting into existing truck cabins / truck beds. 

So in my opinion it is very much possible to create a bigger passage, than the small square windows that are typically otherwise being used. 

See for instance: 

I wouldn't cut the cab out but I would take the rear window out and install an accordion boot.  that's what I have done on my truck.  it gives you a pass through as big as the rear window,

037.JPG

highdesertranger

Attachments

• 037.JPG
    037.JPG
    112 KB · Views: 61
I've done it. I bought a boot from a local RV stealership to seal the bed/camper to the cab back. I helped the guy take a Mazda B2600 and turn it into an SUV with second-row seats and storage behind in the aft bed section. We sealed it up tight and use auto insulation to keep it warm or cold. The front AC and Heat kept the entire vehicle warm or cool once we were finished.

highdesertranger said:
I wouldn't cut the cab out but I would take the rear window out and install an accordion boot.  that's what I have done on my truck.  it gives you a pass through as big as the rear window,

highdesertranger

Can you provide possibly more pictures of this and a link to where you get the accordion boot?  I saw it once before some where and can't seem to find it anymore.  I'd like to do this to my Dodge Ram 4x4.  Thanks!  Johnny

well I really don't have any more pics at this time because the trucks in AZ and I am in CA. here's a breakdown on what you need to do,

the cut out in the cap/camper must fit the back window exactly. not close, but exactly.

the lip the accordion boot attaches to should be appox. 1/8 inch. thick. this gives the boot something to bite on.

if your cap/camper is already cutout in the front and it doesn't match the window exactly. you must make it match. I find the easiest way to do this is to add 1/8 inch aluminum bar or sheet to the cap. then cut to match your window opening.

to match the opening the cap must be fully installed on the truck. then scribe the opening. to cut I find it easiest to remove the cap.

once you have both openings matching reinstall the cap. start installing the boot in the middle of the bottom of the opening. working your way around. I find that on the corners(especially on a 4x4) is to glue the corners on the cab and cap. this keeps the boot in place when the body flexes. I use black 3M weather-strip adhesive. make sure the boot gets a good bite on both surfaces.

go all the way around. when you get to the end don't just butt the 2 ends together. cut a splice from left over boot and glue the 2 pieces together. I like a 4 inch splice on each end so 8 inches overall. this makes for basically an air/watertight seal.

I also like to use a protector on the bottom of the boot. I use Cordura with a foam insert. this protects the boot from abrasion whenmoving stuff in and out. this step requires sewing.

any questions and I will try my best to help.

oh yeah, links to boots,

http://uni-grip.com/products/accordion-seals
https://www.all-rite.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=accordian
http://www.fixmyambulance.com/product-p/uni-ed5389.htm

many more just search

highdesertranger