Woodstove in a van?!?!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you could make it work I think something like the cubic mini would be great in a van. I'm not sure how well it would work if you frequently had to drive somewhere on a moments notice. But on cold nights in cold weather I can see how nice it would be to have on.

For me and van life I just don't like being cold. In rainy cold weather when I am in the van I don't want to be uncomfortable. Maybe when I was 20 but not anymore.

I went back and forth over what type of heater to use and ended up going with the Dickinson propane fireplace. If I need to leave I can just turn it off and drive away. Nothing to clean up and instead of searching for wood I just have to find a place to fill my propane tank. The number one reason I chose the Dickinson was because it is a completely sealed system. I didn't want to have to worry about the moisture problems of running a My Buddy in the van. Or the CO problems as well.

But the cool factor of having a real fire going like the Cubic Mini would be hard to beat. I like them. I just wasn't sure how it would work out for me.

highdesertranger said:
military tents also have the stove jacks but it takes several people to set them up.  here's mine,
you can see the wood stove in the second pic.  one of these years I need to bring it to RTR.  highdesertranger

Love your big military tent!  Yeah, wall tents are great for 2 or more.  I don't think I could put mine up by myself.  I have seen a tall canvas tent with aluminum poles that a guy told me he put it up by himself and he installed a stove jack in it.  I was like where do you buy stove jacks?  Evidently there's a couple guys selling them on ebay.  Well, you follow the directions (for safety too) and install it.

If I could find a canvas tent that one person can erect (like the vintage type that have the aluminum exterior poles) that fits the criteria, I thought I might put a stove jack in and haul the tent stove with it and see if I'd like that for some camping for an experiment.   But I'd have to find the right tent to do that.

Tent camping IS fun if you're warm and toasty inside and you're not set up in some windy desert somewhere, HDR.  LOL

I am having a small wood stove built for my 21 ft fifth wheel.  Going of the picture of the cubic mini.  My question is with the stoves being so small, you can't really use a six inch stove pipe.  Does anyone know if you can use the three or four inch pellet stove pipes.

You need a lot of fuel.
For the shop, i just use deadfall- you'd be amazed at the amount it goes through in a weekend.
The farmhouse goes through 30 ton gravity box of corn a winter just as supplemental heat.
If you're always in the middle of a forest- i don't think you could beat it-
That special 'warm' heat, dries out the dwelling, and free.

While there's always the 'upsell', average wood stove is a very simple device.

So I picked up my little wood stove today.  I have waited so long to get this, now I'm freaking out a little bit. Any extreme safety advice before I start the installation?

Attachments

• 4FD1E6A8-68D2-4954-8BF9-9A2B99BA90EC.jpg
    4FD1E6A8-68D2-4954-8BF9-9A2B99BA90EC.jpg
    445.4 KB
Yes I do as well as a smoke alarm and carbon monoxide alarm. I have always had these in my house, but for some reason it's time to put it in my camper and I'm a little bit scared. I know there is not a video out there on this subject that I have not watched.

Good advice about an outside burn.
Guess I will be burning paint instead of dinner tomorrow.

Check out Moose Henderson's "MooseVilla" group on Facebook. You will have to join the group to see posts.

He has a tiny wood stove in his minivan conversion with some good pics and info in the posts and comments. He previously built a tiny house and has some good common sense.

wasanah2 said:
I've used a tent stove in a wall tent.  If you like the ambiance of a wood stove, just pitch the correct tent with a stove jack in it.  Get a tent stove and use it safely and you'll be happy.  I plan to erect a wall tent when I have family with me and will do just that.  For one person, it just seems like too much to put up.  But for a couple staying a couple weeks somewhere, I think it would be ideal.

They aren't particularly cheap, but you can take any canvas tent of size that is tall enough to stand up in and install a stove jack if you follow the directions to do it safely.

Hey, I have an article about a 1923 car with a wood stove in it on my thread under CAR called History of Auto-Camping LIfestyle.  Go to page 2, post #16 to see a pic of it.  (Click on the thumbnail)  It looks like they take down the chimney while driving. 

https://vanlivingforum.com/Thread-The-History-of-AutoCamping-Lifestyle?page=2

I have a tent stove in my RV double walled metal floor and walls around it with open front, it will burn all night with hard wood damped down, spent a winter in Missoula MT and it was free heat you  need a fan to circulate the air or the floor will be cold, the only time it gets tricky is when the wind blows hard had to make a shield for pipe so it wouldn't down draft when the fire died down, other than that I love it. In phx now and gathered plenty of wood from bulk pick up.

I'm planning on using the Cubic Mini Cub model in my Ford extended. https://cubicminiwoodstoves.com/

They have wall mount, which reduces clearances needed (for a $ price). I'll let you know how it works out in a year-ish.

CatCaretaker said:
Saw this on Pinterest. Is that really a small woodstove on the right? Would it be safe? Practical? Anyone else have a setup like that?

NIfty, but when you want to "Turn down" the heat, well, you have to wait. I just toggle the switch on my heater.

Wanderer said:
NIfty, but when you want to "Turn down" the heat, well, you have to wait. I just toggle the switch on my heater.

No need to wait, you can just crack a door or window... that does a great job at cooling things down fast. ;)