Wood walls and ceiling or carpet?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TexasTuff

Reaction score
I'm not ready to start a build thread yet, I'm just making decisions on how to proceed. Your opinions in this matter are appreciated.
I bought an old Class B+/C (not sure which it is) that has a fiberglass shell. Just explaining the construction of the shell so you might understand my question more fully.
The shell has an outer layer of fiberglass about 1/8" thick, an inner core of honeycomb material about 1" thick and an inner fiberglass layer about 1/8" thick. In its original state, the inside was lined with carpet. The carpet might add some insulation properties and might help stop condensation from forming during cold weather on the inner shell. The carpet has now been pulled out and decision time is here, Go back in with carpet or wood.
I presently live in a tiny house and the ceiling is made of 1x6 tongue and groove white pine. I like the looks of the natural wood finish and have been thinking of putting this in the RV. Either choice would be for the walls and ceiling. The carpet would be glued on and the wood would be glued and screwed on. 
The wood might not have the same condensation control as the carpet. What do you think? The price is about the same either way. I'll be starting the refurbish build will start by the end of the week. All the mechanical work should be finished by Monday It now has 6 new tires (still need one more), new brakes, new master cylinder, brake booster, carburetor, intake manifold, etc, etc, etc.

you are correct about the carpet vs. wood. the carpet does add a little insulation and helps a lot with condensation. however it holds odors and dust to the point were it's a pain. on the other hand wood is easy to clean and doesn't hold odors or dust. highdesertranger

Unless you're living in a veritable rainforest, condensation is highly overrated.

Good ventilation more than anything else, will control any moisture. A roof vent, open windows and human/animal traffic requiring the door to be opened numerous times per day usually is more than sufficient.

Carpet of any kind will retain smells and dirt much more than a finished wood surface will.

What can I say, I like carpet and/or vinyl in a small camper.

I bought the outdoor/marine rated stuff and it's a short pile and easy to take care of.

I vacuum it now and then with a little dust buster vac, and its 'human friendly'...not normally cold or hot to the touch, and forgiving if you brush against it while sleeping or if you accidentally jab it with something that would make a nasty gouge in a wood surface. Not that your going to be swinging an axe in there, but stuff happens.

Plus it helps quiet down the interior.

It just comes down to personal preference.

What do YOU want in there?

^^

Since there are so many personal likes and dislikes, and the two materials are completely different, its your taste so to speak. There's some on the forum that favor all wood, natural, warm, homey, doesn't offgas (much). Others like the simplicity of carpet, but have to deal with the chemicals offgassing. Color choices vary, the amount of work to install each one is different... Look on UTube and see what dwellers have done on their own vans, more go with wood that I've seen.

Do you have something similar to this ? Trans Van.

CC-212-034-925.jpg

Interior looking back:

149778-tn.jpg

Bathroom to the right, kitchenette to the left.

In my area the roads were once full of them and they were upholstered in "Shag Carpet".  The Truckers would refer to them on the CB Radio as "Shag Shakers".    Where you see the porthole was a tiny bathroom/shower
that a person of reasonable size and weight could use.  (30"X40" maybe)

Over the years these have been retro fitted even though Shag Carpet isn't as common as it once was.

My view of covering the interior with a deep pile carpet would be seeing it as sound deadening,  light adjusting (darker for dimmer environment)  or using a medium tone carpet on the lower walls and very light tone on the upper sides and ceiling to reflect light down into the living area. 

There are 12 volt vacuum cleaners available but running the vacuum over the interior may help to control the dust that may get in.  Some of the plastic fiber carpets will in time generate a static charge which will attract air born dust and pollen to it.  So clean up could be easily accomplished.  If the carpet was soiled for some reason, it can be cleaned with any number of carpet cleaners.

As for odor(s) this may be a greater issue especially with women.  (who have keener senses of smell than most men)  You may want to do your cooking outdoors as much as possible.  If you are a smoker,  it's going to smell of smoke.  

If the floor now shows metal like the floor of a cargo van,  I'd suggest covering it with plywood and fastening it securely. Then place a foam backed carpet down if you can find any.  (the old indoor/outdoor)  Great sound deadening.

eDJ_ said:
As for odor(s) this may be a greater issue especially with women.  (who have keener senses of smell than most men)  You may want to do your cooking outdoors as much as possible.  If you are a smoker,  it's going to smell of smoke.  

BTW, un-treated, or un-painted, woods, especially soft or porous woods, will absorb strong odors and return them for days...

Its not a bad thing, just something to be aware of.

Thanks for the advice. I like the looks of wood but like the easy install of the carpet.
With carpet, I don't have to drill a lot of holes in the inner fiberglass skin.
I've got until Wednesday to decide.
Another concern is interior head room. It is only 6'1.5" inside. I am 6'. For that reason, I don't think I can install any insulation.

Here is what the Coons Mfg Diamond GT XL looks like. It is 25' long. Most of the decals are now removed. What a job that has been
diamond2.jpg   diamond4.jpg

Attachments

• diamond2.jpg
    diamond2.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 9
  • diamond4.jpg
    diamond4.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 9
Rig looks good from the outside. Can't say that I have ever seen that brand.

Any inside images?

Foambacked carpeting comes to mind... Lowes or Home Depot sell it off of 6' rolls. 

Which one is it? The 23' or the 25'?

[font=Arial, Verdana, sans-serif]Select a Configuration[/font]
[font=Arial, Verdana, sans-serif]Please choose the configuration that most closely matches your vehicle[/font]
[font=Arial, Verdana, sans-serif]
Length
Weight23 MAXI MINI
23'0"
25 MAXI MINI
25'0"
21 MINI HOME
21'0"
20 GT II
20'0"
20 GT
20'0"
18 MICRO MINI
18'0"
6830[/font]

I had a vinyl floor in my Class B and I replaced it with carpet. I love being barefoot inside. The insulation is good not just in winter but also to help keep it cooler when doing long drives. I used the original vinyl as my pattern and layed down a really thin carpet first, making the pattern and marking and cutting the holes, etc. Then I used that thin carpet (the kind that comes off the rolls at Home Depot, Lowes, etc.) first as my final pattern and later it became xtra insulation as the new carpet went on top of that. Any place that was not a "perfect" fit on that thin carpet I taped paper until I got that pattern perfect. Later the paper was removed but it allowed for a very tight wall to wall fit. I use a few cute throw rugs in some areas and I can just shake those out. I did use some spray glue for the bottom thin carpet but the thicker carpet on top the fit was so tight that just the dinette on top of it and the fit keeps it in place. I used a black paint to keep it from shredding in places that I had to cut it to fit. I hope to have photos up in a couple weeks and will come back here and post a link when I do but wanted to pass on these tips for you. I also insulated the entire outside of the engine dog house and then covered that but that was hard and I could only do it because I had the orginal (uninsulated) cover to work with. Due to the curves on the doghouse there were 21 panels to make it fit.

Christine

This world isn said:
Rig looks good from the outside. Can't say that I have ever seen that brand.

Any inside images?

Foambacked carpeting comes to mind... Lowes or Home Depot sell it off of 6' rolls. 

Which one is it? The 23' or the 25'?

There is little information on the internet about the Diamond. Mine is a 25' GT XL.  I have found some information about Bud Coons and his early life but no information about the product. The company makes transport buses now. In fact, if you look at my shell it is the same shape as a transport bus, just different window placement.
I am addressing some mechanical issues before starting on the interior.  I'm hoping to get it back from the mechanic Monday. 
The interior has been gutted. The only thing left is a shower stall and couch. I'll take pictures next week.

Maybe a combination of both? Thin wood flooring and carpet on walls and ceiling, no screws or drilling that way.

bullfrog said:
Maybe a combination of both?   Thin wood flooring and carpet on walls and ceiling, no screws or drilling that way.

Yep, as much as I don't like carpet, I think that is the way I'll go. I'll start looking for some bargain priced outdoor type carpet tomorrow. It will be much faster to install. 
Next, the carpet that was in the RV was glued and held up since 1985. What glue to use now????

On glue, you'll want to avoid outgassing as possible, and be flexible. Wood (and natural fibers) offer food to mildew, so you'll be glad you avoided it, unless *totally sealed (both sides). I'm making the assumption that *everything will get wet, eventually, on my build. Outdoor carpet OR indoor fibers you can clean *aggressively: you can even bleach Olefins. If stiff-backed, might you avoid gluing floor carpet in place? Though I thought the grass carpet at Costco was fabulous (actually feels like grass), I'm sticking with vinyl for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

~7 years ago my wife and i installed Marine Hull liner/carpet on the walls/ceiling of our van. Still looks fresh as day one.

TGL_WEBslidingdoor.jpg

accrete that hull liner still looks good, what did you use for adhesive I forget? also a little off topic but I see you have a Molle seat back. how do you like it? what brand? highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
accrete that hull liner still looks good,  what did you use for adhesive I forget?  also a little off topic but I see you have a Molle seat back.  how do you like it?   what brand?  highdesertranger
Greetings and THX for the VanKudos : )

On "adhesive" ? My wife will always remember... 3M77 spray. ALWAYS suggest to your DW to wear a protective hair covering when applying. A dozen Roses, a nice dinner... and i'm forgiven (just not forgotten).

The Molle Seat Back was sold since we took out all the camo after a couple years when we had Van Specialties update the interior (with black trim). The unit you see is by Smittybilt for the Jeep. Worked fine with a bit of finagling.

Now we use a simple Molle mount on the rear of passenger seat by a firm called "Greyman Tactical" (website link) really nice item! Then you mount your own Molle items and go.

Thom