Women Only: Washing

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hausmutti

Reaction score
I can easily use a wet cloth or wet wipes for everyplace but the pubic area.  Does anybody just sort of step out of the van in the dark of the night and use a container of water to give a good wash/rinse?

I totally do all of my showering outside of my van. I use two gallons of water a day for a shower.Sometimes if it's super hot I rinse off throughout the day in addition to the shower. I wash my hair separately using three 16.9 liters of water in the plastic bottles. I don't do this everyday. It is just a habit. No reason I do it except using the one gallon jugs is inconvenient on my head.
I get up early when the risk of a drive by is less but I use a wash cloth and tropical scent dawn. I wet my body first with a small amount of water. I pour water on the wash cloth and liberally saturate the wash cloth with the shampoo
Then I soap up. I then rinse good with the water. I use coconut oil on my body while I'm still wet. This not only moisturizes it helps to keep you from itching because you didn't get all the soap off. I then dry off with a towel.
I use the dawn because i am very allergic to poison ivy and it removes the oil. It's probably harsh on my skin but it's the only thing I have found to keep me itch free.

Three times 16.9. For me the small bottles are easier to handle then trying to pour a gallon jug over my head.

Gypsy Clipper said:
Three times 16.9. For me the small bottles are easier to handle then trying to pour a gallon jug over my head.

I think you mean ounces. Otherwise, you're using over 13 gallons to wash your hair.

I have some really baggy shorts. Before I rinse, I slather with some diluted Dr.Bronners (gotta get my ya-yas somewhere). Then, when I'm rinsing with the solar shower, I put the handle down my shorts and give a couple of swishes. I haven't been arrested yet. In general, I apply diluted soap and shampoo sparingly to mostly dry skin and damp hair. Then it's pretty quick and easy to rinse off. You need almost no shampoo. The human body wasn't created with the need for caustic soaps and detergents.

Though if I have my druthers, I soap as above and jump in a body of water to rinse-even in the winter. It can be very refreshing, to say the least.
Ted

I mean liters. Three 16.9 liter bottles of water just like the original post said.

You can do all your bathing in the vehicle.

Just mix a tablespoon of regular baking soda in a small bucket of warm water, and wash all over with a washcloth or sponge. It's safe for your entire body except in your eyes. It cuts body oil, cleans, deodorizes, and you don't have to rinse.

Outside the van, you can also use it to wash your hair, finishing with a simple rinse (with or w/o a spoonful of vinegar, which doesn't smell after it dries). This does take more water than a simple bath, but not as much as with shampoo.

Try it before you leave home -- you'll see.

I use a weed sprayer with a converted kitchen sprayer attached. Awesome! Found it on youtube. Easy to make and use.

Gypsy Clipper said:
I mean liters. Three 16.9 liter bottles of water just like the original post said.

I don't mean to belabor the point (but I guess I'm going to anyway  :)), but this is 2 liters:

[img=75x100]https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/31Bjg8HTRsL._SY450_.jpg[/img]

And this is a 16.9 ounces:

[img=100x100]http://www.berkeleyside.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/dasani.jpg[/img]

So 16.9 liters would be a whole lot harder to lift over your head than a gallon jug. It'd be bigger than a 3 gallon jug.   :)

I use a porcelain clad pan I've used for years for bathing.
I spread out a towel and put the pan on the towel. 
I put warm water in the pan.
I wash my face, neck,  and hair (it's very short), then arms, torso, vulva and butt crack   :blush:   then use a squeeze bottle of clean water while squatting over my pan to rinse my parts.
Then I continue my "bath" by washing my legs and feet.

If I REALLY feel like it, I can sit in my pan.
Have done my 'bath" so many years camping, it's second nature.

I have NOT done this in my van...only in a tent, so I'm exploring other options.

I did buy a battery shower and a shower tent to try out this year, but probably will save that for a once or twice a week treat! :p