Women Only: Travel together to RTR via I-10? [split from W-RTR]

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmm.  I expect to head down south to Texas the end of this week and then head over after Christmas (keeping my eye on the weather and giving myself plenty of time in case Juno decides to break down on the way).  So I could pick up 10 in Houston if our times correlate.  However, I will say, I'm a slow driver...so won't be the best to travel with unless you are a turtle yourself!

Shift Chick said:
Anyone coming from the Florida  or east coast to run along I-10??

Hello.  Yes, I'm in the Ocala area & would like to head out to RTR soon.  Where are you?  I am  pulling a small converted cargo trailer.

Patti S said:
Hello.  Yes, I'm in the Ocala area & would like to head out to RTR soon.  Where are you?  I am  pulling a small converted cargo trailer.

Just a thought -- I haven't checked since the hurricane but I travel 10 between Phoenix and Baton Rouge quite often. Have you checked to see just how passable 10 is from Houston to west Louisiana?

Patti

I am from the Ocala area. (Williston). I lived there for several years.
Left there for Colorado early last year.

I hope you get to quartzsite... let me know where you will camp

bobblefrog said:
Hmmm.  I expect to head down south to Texas the end of this week and then head over after Christmas (keeping my eye on the weather and giving myself plenty of time in case Juno decides to break down on the way).  So I could pick up 10 in Houston if our times correlate.  However, I will say, I'm a slow driver...so won't be the best to travel with unless you are a turtle yourself!

Hi Bobble,

Im a slow driver too.
Am coming from Quebec in the far NE down through TN and  intending to pick up #10 in New Orleans.  

Freezing up here so hope to get there before Xmas but will see how it goes.  It would be great to caravan with another turtle at least part of the way west.

VanKitten said:
Patti

I am from the Ocala area.  (Williston).  I lived there for several years.  
Left there for Colorado early last year.  

I hope you get to quartzsite...   let me know where you will camp

Hello again.  I had to go to Georgia so have changed plans.  I am now heading west from the more northern route, which will go thru Dallas instead of Houston.  I will eventually end up on route 10 & follow out to Quartzsite.  I just started out today from GA.  Hope to see you in Jan.

RamblinRogue said:
Just a thought -- I haven't checked since the hurricane but I travel 10 between Phoenix and Baton Rouge quite often. Have you checked to see just how passable 10 is from Houston to west Louisiana?

Hi there.  I'm 64 with a Toyota RAV4, V6 & a sm converted cargo trailer camper.  Are you going to the RTR, & if so when are you leaving, & which way are you going?

Patti S said:
Hi there.  I'm 64 with a Toyota RAV4, V6 & a sm converted cargo trailer camper.  Are you going to the RTR, & if so when are you leaving, & which way are you going?

I am going, Patti, but I'm starting out in Mesa, AZ. Pretty close -- like about 2.5 hours. I'm leaving here bright and early on the 10th and hoping to be in Quartzite no later than 9 AM. I'll be following I-10, no simpler way from here.

I’m in Austin right now, I’ll be setting off from here probably around the 2nd - 4th.

I’ll take it slow, 3-4 hrs a day (couple of hundred miles a day), and just taking long breaks in rest stops / truck stops along the way.

On the highway I’m a 60 / 65 mph driver as I tow a lot of weight.

Its my first time to RTR, but I’m open to meeting folks along the way.

Hi, I am leaving Arkansas by the first, heading to the RTR at a snails pace. I drive a white leisure van,(white, like a million others) class B,..I will have a sign in my window RTR or Bust...so if you're a female solo traveler and see me in a gas station, rest stop, camp ground, etc. come say hi! I am a fat, short, old woman on a cane...totally none-scary...lol. Fair warning, if you are not a FEMALE traveler, don't come say hi, I could shoot you on sight, I just don't take kindly to men approaching my rig while I am on the road...LOL

Hello! I am planning to head out to the RTR from Maryland the end of December. I’m looking at driving at least 4 hours a day. Is anyone leaving from North Carolina or Georgia between December 30th and January 2nd? Those will be my first two stops before moving on and wondered if anyone would like to caravan.?

I plan on leaving Tennesee about January 1 for RTR.  Can't drive long days so hoping to get there around beginning of RTR.  I too am an old lady with a cane........say hi if ya see me.  Hoping to caravan with another lady but she might not be able to go. So wouldn't mind caravaning with others...

Mariposa said:
Hello! I am planning to head out to the RTR from Maryland the end of December.

I am planning on leaving Massachusetts right after Christmas sometime. Heading you way then towards rtr.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kia girl said:
I am planning on leaving Massachusetts right after Christmas sometime.  Heading you way then towards rtr.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Okay, Kia Girl. I’m looking at leaving Maryland on the 29th heading toward Wilson, NC, which would be my first stop at their Walmart Supercenter where they allow overnight parking. From there I will stop and stay a night or two in Georgia on some property I have there. Then on to Alabama and stay over night at a Walmart just outside of Montgomery. I am working on an itinerary to see where to stop and stay each night. I’m deciding on whether I should take I-20 or I-40 leaving Georgia. Will you be coming down I-95? How soon did you plan on arriving in Quartzsite? I was looking at taking somewhere between 6 and 7 days to get to Arizona, well before the start of the RTR.?

ColdBrook said:
I plan on leaving Tennesee about January 1 for RTR.  Can't drive long days so hoping to get there around beginning of RTR.  I too am an old lady with a cane........say hi if ya see me.  Hoping to caravan with another lady but she might not be able to go. So wouldn't mind caravaning with others...
ColdBrook, I don’t plan on driving long days, either.  Are you taking the Interstate out of TN? I’m trying to decide whether to take I-20 or I-40 out of Georgia where I will be stopping overnight on the 30th. So, I will likely head out of Georgia on the first. I, too, am supposed to be caravaning with a friend of mine, but I have a feeling she’s not gonna make it. I would love to meet up with other ladies along the way and travel together. ?

Mariposa said:
Okay, Kia Girl. I’m looking at leaving Maryland on the 29th heading toward Wilson, NC, which would be my first stop at their Walmart Supercenter where they allow overnight parking. From there I will stop and stay a night or two in Georgia on some property I have there. Then on to Alabama and stay over night at a Walmart just outside of Montgomery. I am working on an itinerary to see where to stop and stay each night. I’m deciding on whether I should take I-20 or I-40 leaving Georgia. Will you be coming down I-95? How soon did you plan on arriving in Quartzsite? I was looking at taking somewhere between 6 and 7 days to get to Arizona, well before the start of the RTR.?

It would depend on what part of Maryland I would be meeting you in on the direction. I go around the tolls so it takes me in every direction that there is. I do know 95 is not on the routes. As long as I don’t get snowed in then I would have no problem getting there for the 29th.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, I know what you mean about bypassing tolls. It can be costly north of here. I think it would be a better if we could communicate by phone to work out the meet up details. What are your thoughts? Are you on Facebook or do you have email? I could send you my phone number on FB messenger, or email it to you. Let me know.?

I'd love to caravan with somebody. I'm a turtle too. I'm towing a small travel trailer with my van for the first time, so I'm nervous as hell.
I'll be heading to Lordsburg New Mexico on the 29th. It's right on the 10, with free overnight camping. Then heading for Tucson slowly after that, maybe with another stop. I know of a nice swimming pool in Tucson to take a shower (Edith Ball adaptive rec center $3). 
I'd like to arrive at the RTR on the 9th or 10th, so I'll have plenty of time to get there.

Lisa
Canine co-pilots Maka and Mimi
94 Dodge Ram 350 high top van
71 Yellowstone 19' travel trailer