Women Only: No screen on windows in van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RV-Hopeful

Reaction score
I bought a roll of screening thinking I could use magnets to hold the screen to the metal on the door around the windows - must have purchased cheap magnets because they didn't hold.  Any suggestions? Thought about double sided removable clear tape but that might be pricy ... any of you ladies have any experience in this area?

Thanks in advance ...

I did the same thing. The answer is neodymium magnets (amazon has all different sizes). But be careful with them, I've gotten more than one blood blister prying them either apart or off of metal where they don't belong.

I ended up liking the the little ones. I had to use a lot more, but I was able to seal in even the tiniest of spaces. I hate to be reading at night and an insect has found his way in. Makes me crazy.
Ted

https://www.raneystruckparts.com/tr...tm_term=4579191052275492&utm_content=Big Rigs

Here's a concept I saw at the truck stop recently. Looked like a normal furnace filter that was trimmed to fit the window, specifically for big trucks.. Seemed like it would be an easy diy to trim a $4.00 filter to keep the bugs out. One filter could probably do two side windows.
It would work good to help keep the dust out too.

What kind of windows?

I'm going to do a DIY version of a commercial product I've seen. Basically, you make a "pillowcase" out of mesh fabric that fits over the top of the door and covers the windows. It results in a double layer of mesh, one on the inside, and the other on the outside. So that takes care of the passenger doors.

I also have a window that tilts out from the bottom - still cogitating over how to screen that.

jacqueg said:
What kind of windows?

I also have a window that tilts out from the bottom - still cogitating over how to screen that.
I have tilt windows but the pillow case idea would definitely work for the front windows. Thanks for the idea.

Maybe too much work, and you would need a sewing machine...but what about sewing 3/4 inch velcro strip to the screen and gluing the opposite strip around edges of window...some velcro comes already with adhesive, but it sucks to try and sew through the sticky stuff.

I buy rolls of velcro in the sewing section at walmart...look carefully, there are shanks that are only $1, as opposed to the packaged stuff which is much more expensive.

so buy adhesive coated for the window frame and non-adhesive to sew to screen/netting

For my front windows I improvised with an oversized piece of screen, open the door, insert screen material in the door opening and close carefully so that it's caught in the door jamb on 3 sides. It hangs down way past the window opening at the bottom so it's mostly draped against the door. Found out that mosquitoes fly in straight lines so the little bit of opening at the bottom doesn't prevent the screen from doing it's job.

I have stupid plastic trim on the interior of the door so magnets won't work. I also have rain guards on the outside so applying magnets out there won't work either. I spent hours removing the previous owners excessive use of sticky velcro from the interior so am loath to apply new stuff... :rolleyes: 

I also made another window screen that it permanently in place by taping gorilla tape folded over the edge of the screen to make a firm edge and then taping the taped edge to the window opening with more gorilla tape! The Gorilla Tape is far superior to any Duct Tape I have ever used!

I got a bunch of those neodymium magnets to hold up screens, to glue to small baskets etc and wouldn't you know it, I think I accidentally threw them out or put them in box of stuff I donated to charity. Gosh darn. I did so much research on magnets and what weights they would hold etc. I just went to my storage unit to get somethings and checked there in case I packed them in the wrong box, but no. Now I need to re-order and hope they get here in time. 8 days until I have to be out of the house.

Latest posts