Window Screens

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DonaldG

Reaction score
I'm new to the whole camper vans.My wife has been wanting to do it for a while so I finally decided to give it ago..  I'm wanting some kind of screen for the front windows. something that will allow fresh air in the van while sleeping in the back.Im not interested in magnetic becouse I feel thata east for someone to push in.  I thought a screen that can slide over the door would work. with the windows half open its almost impossible for someone to reach inside and open the door.  the screens will allow fresh air and keep bugs out as well. the only ones I've seen are for cars.  does anyone have a suggestion?  maybe even something I can make.?    thanks for ant suggestions.  BTW,  I have a 2011 ford e150 cargo van

Welcome to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

Hello Donald,

To my knowledge there really is not anything on the market.. not for a van..
I could be dead wrong also, I never searched for it..

That said, and I am not being rude but, your reason for not wanting the magnet is not really logical. anything you do with a screen it will be easy for someone to push in..

If you don't like the Magnet idea because you don't like the look.. that a different story.

you might find something if you do a google search.. I don't really know.

DonaldG said:
... with the windows half open its almost impossible for someone to reach inside and open the door.  the screens will allow fresh air and keep bugs out as well.

If you have a roof vent and/or fans of some sort you wouldn't need the windows to be half open while sleeping. You also might not want them half open when a thunderstorm popped up. 

On my van I have tinted vent visors that allow me to lower the windows about 1-1/2" but will keep out rain and also prevent anyone from reaching into the van. 

Screens are something that I need to add and I will probably use magnets or Velcro to attach.

I am curious as to why you think it would be impossible for someone to open the door? If your window is half open a window screen isn't going to stop someone from opening the door. At least it wouldn't stop me, it would hardly slow me down. Highdesertranger

Yes, you can make your own, using 1/8" plywood, a jigsaw, a drill, aluminum screening, hot glue, and some h-shaped -- NOT H -- aluminum (this is found at hardware stores in 3ft lengths). Please use HOT glue, not the ones that melt at lower temps.

Make a paper pattern of the window, trim off about 1/4" all around, and cut off about 4" all along the bottom (discard). Transfer to a piece of cardboard for a sturdier pattern. Fit the cardboard pattern into the top and side grooves of the window to check fit.

Make another cardboard copy, and mark a 2" border all around with curves at the 2 upper corners. Cut off the 2" border.

Place the larger cardboard pattern on the plywood, mark it, and cut it out. Then center the smaller pattern on the cut plywood, mark it, use the drill to make a hole in the center, large enough to accept the jigsaw blade, and cut the center out. You now have the window screen frame.

Mark a line about an inch from the bottom of the INSIDE of the wood frame, and cut the aluminum about 2" shorter than the frame is wide at that point. Glue securely in place with the cupped edge DOWN, so the top of the window glass will catch in the groove.

Cut the aluminum screening so the edges are about 1/2" inside the plywood edges, and clear of the h-strip. Use a wide stripe of hot glue to attach the edge near the alum strip, press into place, and let cool completely. Once secure, glue the other edges and let sit until hard.

Roll the window up about an inch, set the aluminum groove oner it, roll the window higher so the top of the screen frame fits into the groove for the glass.

Remember to flip the frame when applying the screening to the second/opposite frame.

Don't use nylon screening.

There are companies around that make screen " window socks" to fit many of the popular vans and SUVs. They slip over the top of the driver and passenger door and you then close the door which secures it in place. You can make your own of that style, I did but it is a trail and error process with sewing needed to get a snug fit. The advantage is having the window as far open as you like for confort. There are threads on this forum regarding making window screen socks.

Link to company that makes window "socks":  https://www.skreenz.com/

Pricey, but done if you don't want to make your own.  I have no personal experience with these, but some note that the double layers restricts airflow somewhat.

Here is how I made mine out of vinyl rain gutter guards,  for less than $5.00 dollars.

Lowes and other places sells these perforated vinyl sheets with screen bonded to the back side of them.  They are 3 ft long and 6 1/2 inches wide.

[img=180x65]http://djsaan.homestead.com/Rain_Gutter_1.jpg[/img]

You make a paper template of the top of your windows in the front doors. so that the bottom is just at 7 inches down from the top of the window.

Cut that out with scissors and use a pointed ink marker....like a sharpie.  It will be your template.

Lay it on the up side of the vinyl piece and trace around the outside edges adding 1/4 inch to each end.  Like so,

[img=230x115]http://djsaan.homestead.com/Rain_Gutter_Guard_2.jpg[/img]

Notice the two tiny pieces.  They will go at the ends on the bottom of the screen to fill the opening left at either end of the rolled down  window.

Now with the window rolled down, the screen will need to be bowed out some to fit the ends of the screen into the slot that the window rides in.  It will fit tight. Now push the screen up until the top slides into the upper slot the window rides in.  Then place the two small pieces in place and roll the window up onto them which will hold them in place.

[img=200x250]http://djsaan.homestead.com/Rain_Gutter_Guard_WS.jpg[/img]

The thick black band at the bottom of the screen has a slot the window will seat into.  You will notice the two small pieces in place with the window rolled up such that it holds them tight in place.

These rain gutter guards come in white and dark brown.  I've noticed the dark brown are more stealthy than the white.  In dark or low light they aren't too noticeable.

From the Outside

[img=250x250]http://djsaan.homestead.com/Rain_Gutter_Guard_WS_2.jpg[/img]

To the casual observer, this may just look like window tint.  And it does provide ventilation.

^^^^ you might need to add noseeum screens or regular window screen to that gutter guard screening depending on where you plan to camp.

I use the window sock method on my van. Yes, you have to worry about the rain and yes anyone who wants to push in can. One thing I know is that locks don't keep people out, it merely deters them. I locked my keys in my truck once and I had the windows down about 1 inch. I reached into my storage locker on the back, took out a tent pole (that kind that is made up of 5-6 parts with a cord in the middle). I was able to reach through the window push on the lock release on the opposite side of truck. Someone who wants into your house of van bad enough will get in. So you have to make your van a deterance and be prepared to keep intruders out with a second line of defense.

That’s a great window vent. Need to stash that somewhere for future reference

I needed a solution to keep the mosquitoes and horse flies out.
The rear and driver sliding doors I made screens to fit a bit larger and bought some 1" stretch elastic and sewed the ends and it stretches around the rubber seals and keeps them out... I did have to attack 2 pieces together because of the height... The one on the sliding door I do not use for entry because of the food shelves in front of it, stays on permanently...

The door screens in photo are held in by the door at the top and some 1" magnetic tape, duct taped to the bottom and around the edges ... If like me you have plastic they do sit flat against the plastic pillar on the right... Only trick is don't get them wet lol 😂

20210427_085045.jpg

I made screens for some of my windows. Like bebewanna, I used 1 inch magnetic tape. I put the magnetic tape around the perimeter of the window, then peeled of the backing from the tape and then put screen on it. Since the screen doesn't adhere well to the glue on the magnetic tape, I then used black duct tape and pressed that on the outside so the screen is sandwiched between the duct tape and the magnetic tape. Once this is all done, then I pulled the whole assembly off to trim around the edges. In this picture the screen is on the window behind the driver's window. IMG_0308.jpg