Screens for tilt out windows

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KaLvan

Reaction score
Looking for suggestions on how to make screens for the tilt out windows in the rear doors and side door of a Chevy Express Passenger van.  The windows in the back door have a latch at the bottom and tilt out just a couple of inches from the bottom.  The ones on the side of the van tilt out from a side of the window.  Lots of plastic on the interior, so haven't been able to come up with a way to affix them inside, plus there is the latch to deal with.  They could be attached with magnets on the outside for some of the windows.  Any other ideas?  Thanks.

Velcro to attach. Make little covers that go over the latches that are removable or hinge out of the way.

I used Gorilla Tape to tape a salvaged tent screen over the inside of my window. I wrapped the screen around the part that attaches the latch handle to the window, then stitched up the gap by hand. A trick to getting the Gorilla Tape to stick to the screen well is to fold one piece of tape over the edge of the screen and mash it together hard, to force the adhesive to stick to itself through the holes in the screen. Then use another piece of tape to tape that first piece down.

It's been holding just fine for over two years.

I wouldn't use regular duct tape.

I'd take a picture, but I also built an array of server fans over that window for ventilation, so you can barely see anything now.

We gorillas love gorilla tape.   Thanks for the tip.

If you decide to install a mosquito net with Velcro, you must follow several steps. First, you must clean the surface where you plan to place the adhesive tape. Secondly, during the tape installation, you need to be extremely careful not to violate the integrity of the sticky layer. Calculate in advance what size you need a mosquito net so as not to pull it. In addition to installing a mosquito net, I bought a baby car shade at the beginning of the summer. It turned out that most children are exposed to sunlight. Be careful. Well, good luck.

Last edited:
Looking for suggestions on how to make screens for the tilt out windows in the rear doors and side door of a Chevy Express Passenger van.
I ended up installing pre-made, full length screens with magnetic closures on the inside of the side and rear door openings. That way, I can open those tilt outs or leave doors open for good air flow. They can be a bit of a nuisance, but overall have worked well.

Still looking for a good solution for the front roll-down windows.