Women Only: Need advice on vehicle please

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Linda

Reaction score
Hello, this is my first post, besides the introduction. After months of deliberating, I finally figured out the RV for me to live in full time. The Safari Trek. All I had to do was figure out if I wanted the Safari or the Monaco years. So I went on Trek Tracks and was enlightened that even a small Class A like the Trek would not be prudent with an income of $800 a month.

So now I start all over again, though I would like to find a reason to stay with the Trek. I've been watching the videos and I'm sorry, I don't want to live in a car. I've thought of a class B, but they are so expensive. Trailer? Class C? Is anybody out there living on $800 a month. I am disabled but still mobile. It would be difficult for me to climb into an over the cab bed or be on my hands and knees trying to level something. I am a crafter and sell my crafts so need room to do that work.

Any words of wisdom will be appreciated.

Class Cs are the most economical. You don't have to sleep in the cabover; in fact many people use that space for storage of off-season clothes, craft supplies, etc. Depending on the size of the unit, there will either be an existing permanent bed in the rear, or you can make one. The dinette of course makes into a nice bed, but you probably don't want to have to be making the table into a bed every night. You can get a really decent Class C for under $30k and one that drives for under $20k. Are you planning to tow a car?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Moxadox said:
Are you planning to tow a car?

Not this first year. I thought I would see how I do without and then maybe carry a moped. I've not really seen too many video's about that so perhaps it's unrealistic.

In your opinion, why is a class C more economical than a 26 ft Safari Trek? (Can you tell that I don't want to give up my Trek dream? ::) Do you feel a C is a better option than a trailer? I really don't want a trailer, but I really want to be able to live on the road and not go in debt.

Well, it's really just a matter of economics and personal preference. If the Safari gives you the hots and you have the means to afford it, you should follow your dream! The only reason I brought up the Class C is that they are both affordable and dependable, as most come on a Ford or Chevy truck chassis, which you can get serviced anywhere.

I've seen lots of people who tote a moped! There are some cool motorized lifts for them. So many new motorized bikes, too. I haven't towed or carried anything in the 3 years I've been on the road, mostly because I can't bear to give up the utter simplicity of being able to get out of bed and get behind the wheel and not worry about anything else. But I do miss the spontaneity of being able to drive to the store or to just explore an area without having to pack up the RV if I'm camped for a few days somewhere. For that reason, I'm looking into switching to truck/trailer combo.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I DO have the hots for a Trek however, those in the know say it can't be done for $800 a month. I am trying to figure out ways to make it work unless I can find an equal 'hot' for something more affordable. I just want to understand how both vehicles, both having American made engines, but one being a Class A, why would it cost more than the Class C? If I could figure that out, then maybe I could figure out how to have my Trek, or else at least be more excited about going to a Class C.

What are your thoughts on trailers?

The Treks are really neat but expensive. Recently friend’s bed came down, think on its own, and ended up on furniture, missed the dog, and at 40 degree angle. The local RV repair places would not touch it so she had to travel couple days to another state to get fixed. Don’t know the cost to repair but hourly rates are probably $150+.

Another gal with a Class A had the roof peel back on the highway from rot. It looked great, pretty on the inside but leaks were unseen.

IMO You want simple stuff. An engine that can be fixed anywhere. Ford, Chevy, GMC, Dodge but not the sprinter stuff. Simple toilet setup, and stove. Class C can be great except they are known to leak at windows and seams and then the rotting starts. Have to inspect carefully to find a good used one. 

The smartest thing again IMO for low cost, reliable service is a solid running van. Read and reread what people have done to live in them for years.
But don’t know how you plan to live in this vehicle. How much travel and climate. 
Last I heard gas for a class A like the Trek was 5-6mpg. Class C 8-10mpg. A van will be anywhere from 12-20mpg depending on year. They normally get better mileage as they get newer. Manufacturers improved. ‘80s are 12-14, 2000+ 15-20. Don’t think gas prices are going back down but up to closer to $4+ a gallon. Got to sell lots of stuff to pay for the gas.

Know space is an issue but on a limited income I’d start the least expensive but most reliable transportation and make it fit.

You might also want to post this question in the general area for more opinions.

The heavier and larger the vehicle the less gas mileage you're likely to get. Of course, driving habits and engine size also play a part in it but for simplicity sake, let's just stick with size and weight.

A Class C is going to weigh more than a B which is going to weigh more than a cargo van even with a high top. The reason is that the RV manufacturers cram all the features of a Class A in to the smaller space, based on an assumption that that's what the buying public wants.

Personally, I like the comforts of home but without all the frills so I chose a cargo van with a 24" high top. It gives me standing height, lots or storage (more than a B and most C's because of the design of mine), room enough to comfortably live even on bad weather days and still gives me decent gas mileage (16 mpg highway).

It's all a compromise - would I like a full bath with shower of a C - yes but not at the loss of gas mileage, ease of driving and parking and maintenance costs which include things like sani-dump fees. Would I like to have a full stove with oven and 3 or more burners - sometimes, but my portable Coleman oven and learning to rotate things on a one burner stove is completely doable.

The trick is to figure out what's most important to you and then make the choice.

As a crafter, you might be more inclined to separate craft show storage from living quarters. I travelled for years with a van camper and a small cargo trailer - van was living space, the trailer held all my craft show stuff including show canopy, stock supplies and materials. In a lot of cases, I could drop the trailer directly at the back of my booth and have access to it during show hours.

You might want to take a look at a lot of the videos Bob has up of women living on the road and take a serious look at what they are living in and how it would work for you.

Hi, Linda.  I'm also a crafter and went through a LOT of analysis paralysis.  I finally settled on a small (6x8) trailer that I could stand up in.  It's a Weeroll and I purchased it with windows, barn door, insulation, electric, ceiling vent, RV door, etc.  I have a Suburban that I tow it with which is my "basement" so I have room for the craft supplies.  The trailer was $4195 when I bought it.  I've put maybe another $2k into it.  I will be on a fixed income that's a bit more generous than yours but I hope to keep my spending under $800/mo.  My biggest expense by far will be gas but that just means I have to deeply explore an area before moving on.  

The reasons I chose a trailer:  (1) It will last me forever.  It is built way better than any RV and will be able to handle the back roads without having seams come apart.  (2) It's small enough and high enough that I can get further into the back country.  I'm not an established campground kinda gal.  (3)  I was able to set it up the way I wanted it and not have to deal with someone else's configuration or style sense.  (4) I can unhook it and go exploring or make trips to town for necessities.  (5) I have room to store craft supplies and space enough inside to craft if the weather is bad.  

I'm sure you'll find what works for you.  Trust yourself.

Thank you all for sharing your wisdom. It is much appreciated! I have decided on a Class C.

Linda said:
Thank you all for sharing your wisdom. It is much appreciated! I have decided on a Class C.
Good for you Linda! Coming to a decision is tough and with all the options out there it almost like standing in the shampoo aisle :) I have had an Airstream, vintage TT, 36' fiver and 34' DP, and I too am at the which-way-do-I-go-Gina? spot myself. My next RV will most likely be a Class C as well because I want to do a Yucatan caravan for the solar eclipse in 2020.

This is a great topic as I too am in the market for a small RV.  I retire from my FT job in January (but will keep my PT job which I can do from anywhere that I have Internet) and am seriously considering a Class B or a small Class C.

I like the convenience of the trailer w/ a tow vehicle....but I’ve never towed before and am on the small size so would there be any lifting required to get it hitched?  I also like the idea of being able to leave quickly if that need should ever arise without having to go outside.

Decisions, decisions.... :dodgy:

DebC said:
I like the convenience of the trailer w/ a tow vehicle....but I’ve never towed before and am on the small size so would there be any lifting required to get it hitched?  I also like the idea of being able to leave quickly if that need should ever arise without having to go outside.

You might want to read the Blog of RVSueandcrew.net Maybe not the way you would like to live but other than the cost of her vehicles (trailer was new) she seemed to live quite frugally. Reason I mention is she talks about backing up, turning a trailer. IMO Some get it right off, some can learn and others are hopeless. Figure you out before writing a check. Sue doesn’t seem to be a big woman and she learned ways to not make the hitch, unhitch require strength. Recall she had to do some digging a time or two. She has an easy way of writing

One of best parts of a van, class B/C is the ability to move forward and get in that driver’s seat and go. Doesn’t have to be from danger but rain, snow, wind. It is nice not to have to go out.

Look at the Coachman Leprechaun 240FS. There are walk thru videos on you tube. It’s a25 or 26 foot C with a large tv and a fireplace plus a full walk in closet in the rear. Relatively good storage and it’s either Ford or Chevy last time I looked. When the year changes you can get a new one around $60-80,000. Small enough you can delay getting car if you choose. Unfortunately the engines are both like the little A’s so gas mileage sucks. And like the A’s the roof will need regular maintenance or it’ll leak eventually. It was my first choice for awhile but I decided on a B in the end. I had a 35foot A for years before deciding to downsize. In the end, couldn’t bring myself to do the TPO roof again but I’m a great grandma so climbing around up high stopped being something I wanted to spend my time doing. Besides, I promised my kids I wouldn’t do that anymore.

I love my class B plus. At 55 mph I can get up to 16 miles per gallon. It’s only 23 feet long. I have large closets and lots of inside storage. It’s perfect and has an extra large wet bath that gives me plenty of room to shower. I’ve had many RVs and didn’t have this much shower space with any of them. Some showers are so small you can’t bend over to wash your feet.

Everyone that sees it thinks it’s a perfect full timers layout. I bought it about a year and a half ago for about $15,000. It’s a 2003. I’ve had several people try to buy it from me (not happening)

My largest closet:

331e7a46a8b4631bfd5060d43792e41c.jpg

d5933a53c99a41c6bfe80e81f08f24c2.jpg

800c6154dcbfa7774cde1229b44c95b7.jpg

200d9d597785b2a6f67a348a76bdc395.jpg

bdd9941f859c7de2b77a440ff04f8a47.jpg

Very large kitchen counter space when I was painting
6f119b81fec361fa501cf46e6ca5b99a.jpg

e9032a4d8e96646a96bdadd02fe081b0.jpg