Women Only: Generator recommendations

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rosiemartinez1211

Reaction score
Hey Ladies, I'm trying to decide on a generator vs solar. I know next to nothing about either. I have checked on Amazon for generators and the price ranges are like wow. I do see some are gas operated and some battery operated. I don't know how great my need will be. If I have phone/internet access I will watch either tv or youtube on my laptop. If not, I've already grabbed a few books to take.

Have any of you found something that's relatively easy to use?

Solar has so many steps it's just confusing. Once I'm at the WRTR and can see how some of you have it set up then it will make more sense to me.

Thanks and I appreciate your feedback.

I found solar, after the install, to be almost maintenance free. Never used my generator again. If I hadn't sold my moho I would have gotten rid of the generator for more storage.

Maintenance meant checking the batteries' water level and equalizing the batteries once a month

Definitely check out all the various solar systems at the RTR and be prepared to attend the seminar on solar systems as well.

Talk to people about what they like about their solar system and what they don't like.

I continue to use a combination of solar and generator because it isn't fiscally wise to increase my solar system to completely use nothing but it. I live in the PNW for 6 months of the year where solar is almost totally useless - forested, forest fires, low solar collection etc means that I could never depend on solar up there. Sooo, I have a smaller solar system and augment it with generators.

I heartily recommend the Honda generators - yes, they are more expensive but they run without a lot of maintenance and are whisper quiet. I had a fellow camper just the other day walk up to me and didn't even realize I had the Hondas running. I have two Ei1000u units because I need that much  power to handle the battery charger for the largish battery bank I have. I am not able to physically handle a larger generator so I have 2 small ones. One of the units is 14 years old now and the other 3 years old. 

Also, I think it's important never to become totally dependent on just one method of charging your battery bank. If all one has is solar and you  have a couple of cloudy days back to back you could find yourself with a seriously depleted battery bank. I can charge my batteries with solar, generator, driving or with hook up to shore power.

This was hard. I knew nothing about solar. I wound up buying a Renogy Suitcase and a Pax generator. So far, so good.

Depending on space and funds, you might look into getting a setup installed for solar. Or grab something like a GoalZero (there are cheaper brands).

Just a reminder that a unit like Goal Zero does not PRODUCE power, it only stores it. You  need either a 120 V source of power (generator or shore power) or solar to re-charge the unit.

It is a battery inside a case that has the outlets already built in for you to use, nothing more!

I have a dual set up too. It just makes sense to me to have some kind of backup.

Morefun said:
Depending on space and funds, you might look into getting a setup installed for solar. Or grab something like a GoalZero (there are cheaper brands).

I'll check it out, thanks

I have the small Honda 1000i EU generator that has the inverter function built into it. While I do have solar in the summertime I head north along the Pacific coast where you often don't get enough solar gain. I am too heat sensitive to hang out in the sun in the summer time. As I make and design things while I travel I have a need for more power than my solar and battery system can provide. So for me the small generator is enough to fill in the gap without having to find a place with hookups. Besides some of the tools I work with might make enough noise to annoy neighbors in places that do have electrical hookups as those campsites tend to be closely clustered.

I did not want the larger 2000i generator as it is too heavy for me to lift and heavier than I want to haul around with a small engine in my vehicle. So it seems a good fit for my needs, quiet, dependable, not too big, not too small, it is just right :) I did buy it as lightly used find for $400.00.

Head to youtube before you buy and look at videos showing the different models you are considering. Look for the videos showing how to do the maintenance on them as you do need to know how to troubleshoot any issues and you do need to know how to keep the generator you buy running smoothly. If what you see looks like something you want no part of dealing with then don't get a generator or else be prepared to have to drop it off at a service center someplace and possibly have to do without it for a week or so before they get it fixed. When you have an engine and spark plugs and carburetor, oil and gas you will have to do things like oil changes and tuneups. If that bothers you to learn how to DIY or hire it out then don't get a generator. Some brands are more reliable than others but none of them are maintenance free.

maki2 said:
When you have an engine and spark plugs and carburetor, oil and gas you will have to do things like oil changes and tuneups. 

Wow, eye opening! Thank you

rosiemartinez1211 said:
Wow, eye opening! Thank you
But it's actually really easy to do and fun! Gives you a sense of satisfaction and accomplishment.

The Dire Wolfess

Fortunately Honda does have their own youtube channel and on it they have all the information for keeping their 2000i generator in tip top shape.

Watching their maintenance video will show you exactly who you would need to do if you want to save money versus hiring the basic work out.
Even if you don't have plan to buy the Honda brand or the same size of a Honda generator it is still a good introduction to what maintaining a generator involves.