Woman's Forum: Potty Issues

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wishing you best of luck with them!  I cannot use either of the ones I bought, they work for me about 75% of the time, but I'm not willing to risk pee filled socks the other 25% so they will now lay in a drawer until I pitch them at some point.

I bought one as an add on to an order to get free shipping, it was cheap and I have little hope that it will be very useful. I bought the p-style and that is the one I want to try, it is at least "hefty" compared to the other. I'm going to try it outside, but the snowbirds are in the park and I don't want to expose them to, well, anything that might end up exposed by the time I finish my test run. Some people have no sense of humor!

The p-bella was the best of anything I tried, it felt the most normal and comfortable, but it still leaked. I honestly think they work better for the skinnier gals.

Well, I thought I would report back on the Piddle Pail.
Works GREAT......no leaks/spills....completely contained.....very happy with the purchase .... highly recommend.

abcfdeecaec117b6c4e620165499718f.jpg

99991c6f407274679a67c555e01a558d.jpg

Van Lady said:
Well, I thought I would report back on the Piddle Pail.

Does your husband know you bought a new lunch box????  I can just imagine the poor guy opening that up at work looking for his sandwich!! Hope U R both retired! -Crofter

LOL.....we are retired so no fears now....I did laugh when I got it as it brought back 44 yo memories of when he did carry a lunchbox that was the same style/color as this one [emoji6].

NomadicNotions said:
how do you handle it?  :huh:

I just built the perfect seat!!

Bemis round toilet seat SKU 634037 at Home Depot for $19
3.5 gal bucket from Super Wal Mart $5
Gamma Seal Lid from grocery store $7
old hassock if desired for out of sight storage, plastic liner bags etc., kitty litter if desired
Total cost $31 and it works great!!

To modify the bemis seat to fit secure on the gamma lid, cut tabs back to 1.75 inches from the inner edge. (flip the toilet seat over to see the 4 tabs) The plastic is easy to form using woodworking tools. I cut the tabs to size using a wood chisel. Be careful cause the chips do fly!! When you are done, the bemis seat should fit securely on the gamma lid. If not, look for a high spot on one of your tabs and remove some more plastic.

Total height 12 inches with the gamma lid sealed. It sets down in there some with the gamma lid removed making a secure fit for sitting. I also removed the seat back since mine is in a hassock. The seat back prob adds a half inch in height if left on. This is way more sturdy than a Luggable Loo, although I also have one of those.

Bags detail - I cut off paper grocery sacks to 10 inches in height. Then I put the paper sack between the two tall kitchen bags for a free standing liner. I also use kitty litter in mine so there is no wet waste. My "cat box" can be cleaned just like a cat box. :idea:  - Crofter

I've been wanting to try the women's "redirectors" but the issue of a wet funnel has held me back.

NomadicNotions Wrote: said:
how do you handle it?  
huh.gif

I just built the perfect seat!!  Here's the pics you requested -

Bemis round toilet seat SKU 634037 at Home Depot for $19
3.5 gal bucket from Super Wal Mart $5
Gamma Seal Lid from grocery store $7
old hassock if desired for out of sight storage, plastic liner bags etc., kitty litter if desired
Total cost $31 and it works great!!

To modify the bemis seat to fit secure on the gamma lid, cut tabs back to 1.75 inches from the inner edge. (flip the toilet seat over to see the 4 tabs) The plastic is easy to form using woodworking tools. I cut the tabs to size using a wood chisel. Be careful cause the chips do fly!! When you are done, the bemis seat should fit securely on the gamma lid. If not, look for a high spot on one of your tabs and remove some more plastic.

Total height 12 inches with the gamma lid sealed. It sets down in there some with the gamma lid removed making a secure fit for sitting. I also removed the seat back since mine is in a hassock. The seat back prob adds a half inch in height if left on. This is way more sturdy than a Luggable Loo, although I also have one of those.
- Crofterail PM Find
Reply Quote Report

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]#129
04-13-2017, 06:33 PM   [size=x-small]GIRLS' ROOM: Potty Issues 
 [/font][/size]

I have a tiny 1998 Mercury Tracer & had a time trying to figure out how to rig up a potty.  The buckets were to big, even the 2 or 3 gal. ones, so I finally found an old time cooking pot from the 30's or 40's & it fits on top of the back seat with a hospital bed pad under it.  I fixed up a curtain rod & draped a black out curtain panel across it, cut out black poster board for the side windows & use a small sun shield for the back window, put the larger back seat back down, put a 1" yoga mat down on with a thicker cotton yoga mat down with sheets & etc. and I now have my bed.  I have a med. size ice chest that fits behind the drivers seat on the floor.  I still need to get a small camping stove & I'll be ready to try car camping out.  Looking forward to some fun.  I need to get some window screens made & a battery run fan, yet.  I am 70 so if I am going to do this I need to get started soon!  My dream machine would be a high top van, though I am only 4' 11" I might fit in a regular van.  Which ever one, I want as few windows as I can get.

Crofter, nice job! And it sure looks more stable than just a bucket.

gypsyvioleta said:
I finally found an old time cooking pot from the 30's or 40's & it fits on top of the back seat with a hospital bed pad 

Wow you are travelling lite!! I can remember my grandmother's chamber pot under the bed was something like that. Where do you get the bed pads? Are they disposable or washable? - Crofter

Crofter, you can buy both disposable 'mattress' pads or the washable kind in the pharmacy section of W/M.

I used both for my mom, the washable kind went on her bed under the sheet to protect the mattress and the disposable ones were used on her easy chair in the living room.

For ease of use, I'd recommend the disposable kind for use in the car...you only need to toss it if you miss.... :D 

The washable kind have a plastic backing on them that can't go in the dryer so you'd have to find some place to line dry them, probably a PITA.

crofter said:
Wow you are travelling lite!! I can remember my grandmother's chamber pot under the bed was something like that. Where do you get the bed pads? Are they disposable or washable? - Crofter

The last ones came from $ Tree & they were called pet pads but they are the same as the bed pads, which I believe Walmart has or can be ordered on their .com site. Disposable, but I also found some all cotton real thick bath mats that I can use if I run out of the others.

I live in pismo beach area so plenty of campgrounds bathrooms here. Only problem is they somtimes lock them at night. Then i have to drive to chevron

I will be camping in my truck with a topper on it. I have the 5 gallon bucket with the toilet seat and plan to put some heavy duty trashbags and kitty litter in it then seal the bag with twist ties after use to cut down on smell. If I poop then I do the same thing but then I put the sealed trash bag into a extra large ziplock bag then transfer that to the inside of the truck via my pass thru window until I can dispose of it.

Why all of the concern about separating the pee from the poop? Also if you are using one of those lady pee devices how would you clean that on the road with a limited water supply? Are you using the pee device when you are driving? If you are out in the middle of nowhere (west Texas) on an interstate and there are no facilities nearby I would just pull over to the shoulder of the highway, get in the back of my truck bed (that has a topper with a lot of headroom) and do my business then drop off the waste at the next available trash can.

Wow!  I just got my converted bus about 3 weeks ago.  It's a short bus with no bathroom.  So far, I like Crofter's solution.  I have had surgery done on my intestinal track so I can have anything from watery stools to hard ones (sorry for the TMI, but someone will relate to this).  Anyway, bags + kitty litter (I like the wheat litter) and the hassock will be my project.  Besides, I can park my hassock right next to my kitties' litter box.  I will probably build a 3-4" platform box to raise the hassock's height as I am on the tall side.

-Ginny