wiring question?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

When hooking up your CD solenoid the hot wire that tells it to turn, is there a required voltage, I attached to a hot wire but I don't think it is the correct voltage 4.51v does the hot wire require 12 volts after ignition, I ordered the solenoid in the mail it it had no instructions.<br>

I am not sure what you mean by CD solenoid? <br>If you are talking about a constant use mechanical/magnetic solenoid for isolating your house battery(s) from your engine battery then yes, you need a constant switched supply of 12v power to engage the solenoid while the engine is running and the alternator is charging the batteries. It really needs to be a "constant use" solenoid for it to last more than a few hours of use....if that....<br>The trouble is that they are not marked that way...you need to know from the parts supplier that is what you are getting.<br>The ones I have bought are indistinguishable from a standard starter momentary solenoid. <br>In my '87 Astro van, I mounted the solenoid on the engine side of the firewall and spliced into a switched supply wire on the windshield wiper motor....it works very well and comes on with the key.<br>Good luck,<br>Bri<br><br>

yes it is a continuous use Thank you for your help I think I got it worked out <br>

Many people tap into the wire that goes into the car radio. it will be 12 volt and will almost always go off when you turn off the ignition, which is what you want. Bob<br>

Newer radios tend to have both switched and unswitched power.&nbsp; (unswitched to save settings, run the clock, etc.)<br>