Window coverings dilemma

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 30781

Reaction score
So my minivan is like, ALL windows.  I've watched countless videos to make coverings and made note of what other people have done.  I can't seem to come up with a good, workable idea.

The very back windows are quite large too, rough is 38x18 and the hatch is roughly 50x20.  And the back windows curve.

I'm not ready to make Reflectix coverings because I am only dabbling so far and I'll be on the road where it's quite temperate. Luckily the tint on everything behind the front seats is quite dark.  Speaking of front seats, I'm having issues coming up with hanging a privacy curtain too.  All I have to work with is the seat belt contraption.  I tried a tension rod and couldn't get it to work.  Does anyone have some ideas for me?

I feel so needy. lol  Thank you!

Here's a pic of my made out of windows minivan.

I just cut open larger cardboard boxes, got the $1 spray paint cans (big mistake, they spit and stink, so get the regular flat black not the cheap ones) and gave both sides a couple or three coats.

If you have clear 3" packing tape (cheap thin stuff) then tape all edges so that when you squish them into the window frame they help keep the edges ok. Double/triple tape any folds in the cardboard so that it is stiffer.

Cut with scissors, box cutter or whatever.

I stopped by Hobby Lobby today and looked at every possible large black paper-like things they had, from thickish foam board to poster paper and everything in between. I got a couple things to experiment with but nothing they had was going to be as big as that back hatch window. The only thing that was going to be long enough for the back side windows was some black matting for framing pix at $11/sheet.

Sitting in the van today and said screw it, I'm just going to run parachute cord ALL THE WAY AROUND and put up some kind of black material with binder clips. lol

I'll see if I can find some cardboard big enough and try that out. Thanks!

I do the binder clips with a black plastic tablecloth folded lengthwise from the dollar tree on windows with no ventilation. I did paracord along both sides for the forward windows and clip a more pourous fabric there (some screen held in place with painter's tape along the few inches of open windows under the rain deflectors). The front and hatch windows get a sun shield.

i used bungiecord so i can get a snugfit.
I ran the cord through just like a curtain rod. Some of the cord/curtains i made semi permanent by screwing the ends to the van. The front bungie curtain i just wrap around the front and hook the bungie ends to whatever is available.

GypsyJan said:
I do the binder clips with a black plastic tablecloth folded lengthwise from the dollar tree on windows with no ventilation. I did paracord along both sides for the forward windows and clip a more pourous fabric there (some screen held in place with painter's tape along the few inches of open windows under the rain deflectors). The front and hatch windows get a sun shield.

Reminds me, I need to get rain deflectors.  And a sunshield.  I'll look in Dollar Tree for the tablecloth tomorrow, thanks!

desert_sailing said:
i used bungiecord so i  can get a snugfit.
I ran the cord through just like a curtain rod. Some of the cord/curtains i made semi permanent by screwing the ends to the van. The front bungie curtain i just wrap around the front and hook the bungie ends to whatever is available.

I like the idea of using bungies.  This van though, for some reason it doesn't have a lot of things to attach to.  Or it will have something on one side but not on the other.  She's weird. lol

Reflects are worth their weight in gold! They are a pain to cut, more so if you have a short attention span. My minivan (odyssey) I only had to fit one side and then traced and reversed it since the other windows was the same window shape but reversed. I cut and glued fabric onto them dark gray fleece and then tapped them on with gorilla tape after a few months of wear. They are not perfect some cracks let light in but they really keep a lot of heat out and Keep everything more cool massive difference when I’m in town shopping my car is on fire it’s so hot but I could still park directly in the sun with my window coverings and be perfectly comfortable.

They work for a reason. Just do one at a time it’s worth doing them than messing with anything else also the rear window is still a mystery. Oh I also put on strips of Velcro on all the windows to help them stick. Plus in the back windows since it’s more of a sun roof than a window I drilled in 4 holes (8 actually) and put in u hook nails (should of used screw of some sort) and that helped keep it from falling down plus I used a 3m big hook on the bottom windows silll to also keep it in place around the notch for the backup light indent. I do need to flip the coverings every week since they are also curved enough to also make the the sides fall out of place.

I’m sure your more discouraged than ever to try them but for every window ya make it for there is going to be an major improvement! Also the driver side rear side windows is worthless when driving so permanently placing in a reflect covering is gonna be an easy step since ya can tape that bad boy in and get out that frustration!!!!! I used duck tape the first time then upgraded to the roll of gorilla tape.

I did buy the picture 3m Velcro piece that’s my next project to help keep that back windows sides in place.

I think eventually I might get blind spot mirrors and just make most the coverings permanent.

Easy way to make them is just measure length and higher add a few inches and just try to jam in windows remove and cut and repeat. If you mess up just trace it onto another section and then cut 2 inches out to “undo” your mistake. I ended up throwing so much of my roll away since I was to scared to use it and make mistakes. I learned for next time when I buy a new roll and redo them. Until then what I have works well and maybe you will learn from my mistakes either way happy minivan life!

Yep, I was going to suggest for behind the front seats one of the clothes bars that would hook on each coat hook, driver and passenger side.

I don’t actually have hooks by my seats, more a heavy plastic tab that I can put a lightweight jacket on, and which would easily support a clothes bar with a lightweight curtain on it.

Said bar could live there permanently, if desired, the curtains pulled to the side for the day.

urbankid12 said:
Reflectix

I was to scared to use it and make mistakes. 

Alright, you got me.  lol

I couldn't fall asleep last night thinking about window coverings.  I'm  obsessed.

Cammalu said:
If you put in a coat hook on each side you will be able to put a bar up for a curtain behind the front seats.

These used to be in the back seat of every car

https://www.getoemparts.com/oem-parts/gm-coat-hook-20760387

There are many different types.

I stuck my finger in the seat belt contraption yesterday and felt around in there and found a place where the tension rod might actually seat and work.  I'll try it out today.

Here is what I had in our Sienna minivan - I sewed curtains in 2 sections from black fabric.  I sewed magnets down one side of each curtain section.  Then I strung them on a long bungee cord.  I sewed the channel tight around the ends of the bungee cord so that it wouldn't come unthreaded everytime I took it down.    When we wanted to block out light when parked, the bungee cord was strung between the ceiling mounted hand grip above the passenger seat and the flip down sunglass holder in the same place above the driver's seat.  The magnets were in the middle so that we could easily open or close them as necessary.  When traveling, we just took the whole thing down and folded it up and stored under the bed.  We had a binder clip at the headliner above the seatbelts and clipped the curtain in there and then clothespinned it to the seatbelt.  This pretty much closed up the whole area.

I like the idea of a bungee cord for the front curtains. Unfortunately, there is absolutely nowhere on the driver's side to place a hook, or tie the end of a cord for that matter. I was wondering about hooking onto the window frame since I'll have that window cracked for ventilation anyway.

My youngest daughter who is VERY handy stopped by this evening. I was out there explaining window covers to her, she looked around the back of the van and went off. " blah blah blah command hooks blah blah black material blah cord blah blah" Seems she's got it all figured out. lol

Not dabbling, just broke. I went to the dollar tree and found some black foam poster board put them over the windows and took a box cutter to shape them out. They don't require glue or tape they stay in just like the reflectix. I was pretty impressed, for $1 a piece.

For the back window I have a ice chest and a box of stuff back there behind my bed and I just put 3 of the black poster foam boards in between the boxes and the vans back door and it holds them up, but idk how ur layout is. You could glue magnets to the boards and ur window. That has worked for me in my old van. I even sews magnets into a black piece of curtain and lied magnets on my windows. That worked, alright. As for the front I usually just hang a dark sleeping bag up on the coat hanger hooks. Or if I'm lazy throw it over the 2 front seats. I've slept in many a parking lot and have never woken up to a knock on my door. Nobody really cares if you're van lifing if you park in spots like home depot or lowes especially, just don't overstay your welcome and all is well. Cabela's is great too! Hospital parking lots! Also, to minimize light from my phone I have a wool blanket that I kind of creat a bubble over myself with when I am laying down. This doubles as my heat bubble so that my fingers and nose don't freeze off while I am sleeping or on my phone. Kinda a janky system, but hey. It works. Me and my son have stayed warm this way in 22° weather. Okay I'm rambling now, good luck.

I tried some magnetic curtains around a back window. Apparently my Grand Caravan is made completely of plastic. :/

I forgot I made this thread when I post on a different chat thread yesterday. I blame it on the mild case of Covid I had in January.

I am going to try a blackout curtain strung on a bungee cord between the two front windows and for the back windows I'm going to use fabric panel wall clips to hang up some kind of black material. I think black felt when it goes on sale at Joanne's or perhaps the table cloth from the Dollar Store another member mentioned.

Whatever you decide to use for a window cover, i have found that whittling a stick and using it to hold them up is a really good way to go. Its not hard to find one and carve into into exactly the right size for your windows. Bevel the edges so that it fits right into the crease between your window and panel.