window covering in van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tulsatraveler

Reaction score
I think last night i ran across some discussion about the best way to cover windows in a van.  there was some mention of windows being "hot spots' and how best to cover them.  i just bought a Ford E350 15 passenger today, and of course it has windows wrapped all around it.   I have wondered about using kitchen shelf paper as the initial layer because it is sticky on one side, then a cut to fit piece of that poly sci stuff (i know that's not right cousin bob, but i can't remember what it's name is)  Then start the random 1/2 inch wooden strips then plastic then  reflextex tacked to the wooden strips and finally the poly sci stuff again.  Is there a better way to cover the windows.

do you want to permanently cover the windows? or do you want to be able to uncover them? highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
do you want to permanently cover the windows?  or do you want to be able to uncover them?  highdesertranger

I plan to cover them permanently.  maybe leave one or two, toward the front, clear.  i just thought- I might explore only partially covering the front ones.   have to think about that.

Tulsatraveler said:
I plan to cover them permanently.  maybe leave one or two, toward the front, clear.  i just thought- I might explore only partially covering the front ones.   have to think about that.

You might want to think about tinting them darker rather than covering them permanently. The only windows you might want to cover permanently would be any that you want to have full height cabinets in front of that would be blocking them anyways.

Lack of being able to see what is outside your vehicle, both for safety and because you intend to have great views (you do intend to have great views don't you... :angel: ) mean not blocking all those windows.

There are some quite attractive MacTac window products out there that would work a whole lot better than shelf paper and look nice from the outside while blocking the view.

Once you've decided on the attractive stuff then cover the window(s) with the same technique that you end up using to insulate etc the rest of the van. No need to treat the windows as anything special ie. if you're doing a radiant heat barrier on the rest of the van, do the same for the window area. If you're skipping that and doing polyiso, cut it to fit the whole section of the wall.

Almost There said:
You might want to think about tinting them darker rather than covering them permanently. The only windows you might want to cover permanently would be any that you want to have full height cabinets in front of that would be blocking them anyways.

Lack of being able to see what is outside your vehicle, both for safety and because you intend to have great views (you do intend to have great views don't you... :angel: ) mean not blocking all those windows.

There are some quite attractive MacTac window products out there that would work a whole lot better than shelf paper and look nice from the outside while blocking the view.

Once you've decided on the attractive stuff then cover the window(s) with the same technique that you end up using to insulate etc the rest of the van. No need to treat the windows as anything special ie. if you're doing a radiant heat barrier on the rest of the van, do the same for the window area. If you're skipping that and doing polyiso, cut it to fit the whole section of the wall.
MacTac - - MacTac,  I remember him.  Stared in that movie - -   Where do I get it.  Wally world?  home Depot?  Rv store?

Seeking some tips and advice on how to permanently cover a window or half of a window. 
I am pretty much ignoring the windows as I am planning my layout, but I am concerned about condensation and its consequences when permanently covered and not being able to see that something ugly might have started growing behind the cover.

Does my game plan sound OK?
  1. Cover window with a ceramic tint film, probably very dark (5%)
  2. Spray black plastidip from the inside over entire window - if Reflectix can still be seen from outside.
  3. Put a layer of Reflectix from the inside over window.
  4. Put a layer of Polyiso from the inside over Reflectix.
  5. Seal window with a vapor barrier from the inside (and how do you seal only 'half a window'?)
  6. Add a panel over it or build a cabinet over it.
Any opinions appreciated.