Using Reflectix insulation for window coverings

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you apply paint to the shiny surface it will no longer be reflective.

I have it in my back windows. I leave the pieces silver and pressed up against the glass. The windows are tinted and you can not tell if they are covered during the day, even if you get right up to them. It reflects the sun and things stay comfortable for me.

Tony\ said:
I have it in my back windows.  I leave the pieces silver and pressed up against the glass.  The windows are tinted and you can not tell if they are covered during the day, even if you get right up to them.  It reflects the sun and things stay comfortable for me.

It's hard to tell from this if you are referring to hot or cold weather.
But since you said "reflects the Sun", I assume you mean hot weather.

Have you used it in cold weather?
I was primarily concerned with keeping the van warm in cold weather.

It's hard to tell from this if you are referring to hot or cold weather.
But since you said "reflects the Sun", I assume you mean hot weather.

Have you used it in cold weather?
I was primarily concerned with keeping the van warm in cold weather.
Im so confused. Maybe you can help me. I just got my sun shades for my 2015 dodge caravan. But they're shiny on both sides? How will that work to keep heat out?

Hello,

I thought I'd run this question and see if anyone has first hand experience.

So I made a custom set of window coverings for my 2006 Dodge Caravan. They have 1 inch of polyester batting inside (I think IIRC) and heavy fabric on both sides.
Now I'm wondering it it's better overall to put the Reflectix inside the window covering or sew it onto the outside (facing the glass) ?

The coverings were designed to be "stealth" and I used black fabric on the side facing out. That way, behind the dark tinted windows you cannot tell there are coverings over the windows inside, it just looks pitch black inside. I like that.

If I sew the Reflectix on the outside, then if you get close to the van or shine a flashlight, you'll be able to see the silver reflectix.

Anyone have any first hand experience with this?

Would the Reflectix be just as effective inside the window covering as sewn to the outside facing the glass?

Thanks
When I started out I placed Reflectix on the inside of my van’s back door windows. It worked great at reflecting the sunshine but actually fried some stickers I had on the outside of the window.

So yes, Reflectix does a fine job reflecting the heat of the sun

When I started out I placed Reflectix on the inside of my van’s back door windows. It worked great at reflecting the sunshine but actually fried some stickers I had on the outside of the window.

So yes, Reflectix does a fine job reflecting the heat of the sun
I did the same thing BUT before that I put mirrored film on the windows and that cuts out the heat by about 10-15 degrees AND then the reflectix and it also affords a ton of privacy during the day..NONE at night but it works great!

Depends on whether the Reflectix is for keeping heat inside the vehicle or for keeping heat outside the vehicle.

Against the glass to reflect sunlight.

On the inside to reflect heat back into the vehicle.

You might need two sets, day and night.

Stealth is elusive.
Not necessary to have 2 sets. For example.. want silver side out during the day ?, put that side out...at night place on windows the oposite side of the car for shiney side in.