reflectix on rooftop/shade during summer?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bkwithlove

Reaction score
Has anyone attached a sheet of reflectixs to the top/outside of their vehicle? I'm in a minivan and looking for ways to create faux shade/heat deflection without setting up a shelter, for times that I can't find shade to park in. I do have roof rails and racks, so I could also maybe attach a tarp for shade up there. This would be in addition to windows being covered by reflectix, as from what I understand most heat comes in through the windows. So anyways I had the thought that I could attach a sheet of reflectix on top of the roof instead of tying a tarp on. Has to be something I can either drive while on or take off easily/compacts to small size. Maybe it won't make much of a difference, and just the windows matter? Not sure if this would work as well as shade from a tree or building anyway. thoughts or experience welcome!

Anything deflecting direct sunlight will help. Anything dark absorbs heat. If you want something super compact, consider trying out a super cheap reflective blanket. It wouldn't take up the space that a roll of reflectix does, but would offer most of the same relief. I assume this is for when you're parked and not moving.

I don't think it would be that hard to clamp it down to the tank with cheap finger clamps. Depending on the thickness of your rack, possibly potato chip bag clamps you can get at the dollar store. And you can carry a few of them in a very small space. Just a quick cheap thought.

Anything deflecting direct sunlight will help. Anything dark absorbs heat. If you want something super compact, consider trying out a super cheap reflective blanket. It wouldn't take up the space that a roll of reflectix does, but would offer most of the same relief. I assume this is for when you're parked and not moving.

I don't think it would be that hard to clamp it down to the tank with cheap finger clamps. Depending on the thickness of your rack, possibly potato chip bag clamps you can get at the dollar store. And you can carry a few of them in a very small space. Just a quick cheap thought.
Love this response- thanks Happy Camper. The idea to use a much more compact reflective blanket I think would be really compatible with the minivan space I have. And I'm thinking of my trusty block magnets! I'll try this out soon and report back on results!