Window AC Leaking

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Longteam

Reaction score
Hello, and thank  you for allowing me to join.  My husband and I are new to this and need some help.  We purchased a 1991 Ford Van Conversion with the high top with the ac in the back.  We had to replace the ac, (window unit).  The problem we are having is that it leaks inside the vehicle when it is running.  The mfr says not to drill a hole in the bottom of the unit, however, we cannot get enough of an angle to drain the water any other way.  Any suggestions?

Thank you

they are meant to lean back and there should be drain holes in the rear. this is what you want to do. even if you were to drill holes in the pan you won't be able to drain all the water. there will be a pool in front of the drain holes. just curious why can't you tilt it back? highdesertranger

I read somewhere that you can attach small drain tubes that protrude out the wall to the existing drain holes. Have this same problem myself but haven't yet addressed it.

Let us know what you do!

Hi! And welcome to the best RV forum around!

How much water are you seeing? A few drops or a glass full?

Most the rear door ac units, I have seen or watched videos about show the unit with a radical drop to the back for this reason. They suggest that as the door closes, the ac unit actually levels but because the upper part of the window tilts usually to the front of the van. So they add additional back drop to compensate.

Is it not possible to add extra tilt in?

And I heard the newer models of window ac units actual "burn off the moisture" as they work?
Is your replacement unit one of the newer energy star saver ones?

I don't have an ac unit yet, but it's on my project list for next year...
So I'm very interested in this whole concept!!
Thx!

Longteam said:
Hello, and thank  you for allowing me to join.  My husband and I are new to this and need some help.  We purchased a 1991 Ford Van Conversion with the high top with the ac in the back.  We had to replace the ac, (window unit).  The problem we are having is that it leaks inside the vehicle when it is running.  The mfr says not to drill a hole in the bottom of the unit, however, we cannot get enough of an angle to drain the water any other way.  Any suggestions?

Thank you

I have drilled additional holes in this kind of unit, but you must be careful to not penetrate anything but the pan.

highdesertranger said:
they are meant to lean back and there should be drain holes in the rear.  this is what you want to do.  even if you were to drill holes in the pan you won't be able to drain all the water.  there will be a pool in front of the drain holes.  just curious why can't you tilt it back?  highdesertranger

Hi there, sorry about the unreal amount of time that has passed, but life happened.  It can only be tilted so far back because of a metal cage it sits in. It installed in the back fiberglass above the back doors.

got any pics? I am having a hard time understanding why you can't tilt it. is it a custom made cage? the factory ones allow for tilt. highdesertranger

Somewhere there is a thread on the same subject. I think it was a trailer build out. As I recall the guy fashioned a drip pan with a hole for drainage.

ok one more time. the AC unit is meant to be tilted towards the rear of the unit. it's like 1-2° it says so in the instructions. factory mounting brackets have this adjustment built in. if this unit cannot be tilted back it was not installed correctly. it's much better to fix the issue the right way then to try to Mickey Mouse it. my 2 cents. highdesertranger

Newer window AC units use the water to cool the unit. it's an energy efficiency designed into newer units.

The unit picks the water up and splashes it on itself for lack of a better explanation.

With the unit tilted too far you could lose too much water and that would be bad for the machine.

it's hard to offer much help without a better visual of what's going on.

It happens when the drip pan gets blocked from dirt in the air. When such blockage happens, the water that would normally drip out will be trapped and water will leak from the front of the AC unit or both sides of the unit.

Latest posts