Building while Living in the Van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fraz627

Reaction score
I have been living in my Van for about 8 weeks, I'm currently stuck in Mid Michigan. Once winter is over I plan on starting my conversion. However finding a place to do this is going to be a challenge. I was thinking of camping a BLM land pitching a tent to live in while the big parts of the build are in progress. for power a generator will be used.
I have no real friends here, and checked in to storage units, but they wont allow it.
Any of other suggestion ?
Thanks

Maybe you could plan to do it in stages and be able to live in it as you progress. In the past I've done some remodeling on vans in the lesser used areas of city or county parks. In some areas there are very few people in the parks during the week. I did run a generator at times but to minimize the need for that you could invest in battery powered saws,drills,etc.

The far corner of a parking lot at Home Depot or Lowe's where you buy the materials might work. Keep large panel/lumber cutting to a minimum by having them cut to size ahead of time. They will do this for free.

Or maybe parking lots in abandoned or lightly used malls. Either way, just have a polite spiel ready to explain that you're just there temporarily. And don't make a mess.

Camping on BLM and forest land works great for doing a build. Make sure that you are far enough away from other people so that you are not disturbing them.

We have done inside work in Home Depot parking lots. Try to keep any outside mess to a minimum. Home Depot is good because you always need pieces and parts when you're in the middle of a job. It's usually okay to spend the night. We always end up with a bunch of stuff piled in the front seats and is nice to not have to put everything away and drive somewhere else just to sleep.

I have seen people doing buildouts in the Lowes/Home Depot/Menards lots as long as they are getting supplies there...not a place to overnight, but a good open space that you could set up a generator, and work table.

Do a no build build until you get out to Quartzsite LTVA or the west in good weather, put up a cheap tent and post up what you need. Lots of resources in the area during winter. Talk to Homes On Wheels Alliance and possibly search this forum for resources. You could also just get a full hookup space for a month.

My van is a conversion Van, and has one rear bench seat which Is my bed for now. The day I started this life, found a dresser, on side of the road, which worked out great for storage.
I been thinking that I could do the interior rip out and insulation in a day, with out affecting livability , from there just do it in stages.
I have already planned on having the plywood ruff cuts done a the store, and then doing the cutting to the exact size.
I figure I can do the ceiling, walls and floor, in two to three days.

If it's a conversion van it might have pretty good insulation already and you would just need to do the windows. I have a '93 Econoline with a mid-high top and I found that it has quite a bit of fiberglass insulation installed in the doors, walls and top.

I guess my main concern with doing it while living in it while building out, is the vapors emitted while staining the wood, Guess I could do it outside and allow it to dry, and then install. With careful planning I figure I can accomplish it , in small stages at the stores and move on.