Propane generator wanted

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Treknik

Reaction score
Hello Friends (Jim Nantz).
So, it's been hot. Africa hot (Biloxi Blues).
Here, east of Seattle a bit it was 114 degrees. Which is ridiculously hot. The plants burnt it was so hot.
So, EVERYBODY I know is ordering an air conditioner now in an area where most people thought they would never need them. We have a couple of window units that saved our ass and took the edge off that 114 degrees. However, in eastern Washington where the Cascade mountains stop the cool air it gets even hotter. Many people do have AC. Which now, unfortunately, means rolling blackouts as electric utilities attempt to keep the power flowing. So, rolling blackouts are coming to Seattle. Yay. We want another generator. Considering a propane mid sized unit like the following. Hoping for input from some of you folks that know way more than me on these things. Thanks!

DuroMax XP4850EH shorturl.at/vILM22
Campion shorturl.at/moLMP

We can go more expensive but not like 3k expensive. (“My wife ain’t gonna make love to me if I got no money!” – Billy Ray Valentine)

Those open frame construction gennies are Noisy.

How big of an A/C will you be powering?

Thanks, 10K btu. I don't like noisy. Is their an alternative? I have a 2000 Yamaha but thinking I might want to power a couple of refrigerators, and AC unit(s).

A bit pricey but in theory you can hook yamaha/honda generators in series (parallel, whatever). Anybody done that? Thanks!

So, our AM Watt thingy (TM) coughs up 7.1 watts on the 10K btu. 6.5 when it is chugging along.
My munchikin AC (small bedroom/life saver ac unit) says 5 amps. The refrigerator/freezer says 1 ampish times 3 as I like my freezers/refrigerators.
Can my Yamaha keep up?
https://www.yamahagenerators.com/Yamaha-EF2000iSv2-p/ef2000isv2.htm

So, I can program the crap out of a computer. But, me and electronics are just pathetic... 
Thanks.

For Amazon search links, they can be truncated after the "B" (ASIN) identification string, e.g. "B00VFDJGCE", the remainder of the link is tracking info about your search.

Many off brand generators can be paralleled. Propane conversion kits can be bought for most any generator too.

For me the question is how often will it be needed. Day in and out for hours on end? Pay the money for the Honda or Yamaha. The piston sleeves last longer under constant use. Need it occasionally and most any brand will fill your needs.

My choice was a Harbor Freight Predator 3500 inverter generator that I run on gasoline. I use it 2 to 6 hours a day 6 months of the year. I couldn't afford to spend over $1,000 on a generator and this one was on sale with a 2 year warranty for under $700. Mine has had the required maintenance (including cleaning out the spark arrestor) and the only major problem I have had is the starter battery has gone bad (if it sets over a week it goes dead) but it starts easily with the pull start. They will replace the whole unit but I would rather buy a battery than go through the oil changes breaking in a new one and draining the old one to return it. Money/time wise it works out about even for me. If I were to buy a new one it would probably be a Champion as they have better reviews and cost about the same and the main reason for propane would be to not have to run the fuel out to prevent deposits in the carburetor. As I now run the gasoline completely out of the carburetor when storing it and have had no problems and propane would require about the same number or more trips for me to the store about 40 miles gasoline also works for me. Harbor Freight requires an ethanol treatment be added to the gasoline and I use Stable 360 in all of my unleaded fuel. In my opinion generators are not easy like plugging into grid power. Any of them will require maintenance. If I paid the price Honda is asking I would be out there waxing it every other day! Lol!!! Most likely in the long run (10 years or more) I will have paid more than if I had bought a Honda but I do not intend to need a generator but for 5 years or so and believe I will be money ahead when all is said and done.

Thank you sir,
So, I'm really not needing this for every day (hopefully). This may be what I'm looking for. I tend t overbuy, but maybe this time I go with the Harbor Freight.

^^^If you do I highly recommend only running it a few hours before the first oil change and do a couple extra in the first few weeks of use ( I believe it only takes a few oz. I marked a container so I don't have to remember) and do get the warranty. There are several YouTube videos about maintenance and once you get into a pattern it gets pretty easy. They are quiet for their size and work well even though they are not the quality of the higher priced units. Do watch for sales, I got mine for like less than $600 and added the warranty for like less than $200. If I remember correctly a little over $700 total two years ago.

There is also the Wen DF400I inverter generator, 4000 watt. Runs on propane and gasoline.