Will there ever be a cure for Dromomania ?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is a cure but it is just over the next hill.

It all depends on a point of view as to if it actually is an illness that needs curing. Maybe it is just a perfectly normal variation of good mental health.

Why did the chicken cross the road? Maybe it just had an urge to wander.

Dromomania ?

My first thought was maybe the OP meant Dramamainia?

Which leads to "forumTards," trolls, and needy people in control.  But I'm so glad that it is a titled affliction.

It's even in the DSM-4 "Modern bioethicist Henk A. M. J. ten Have regards dromomania as equivalent to the DSM IV diagnosis of dissociative fugue and the historical diagnoses of Wandertrieb [de] (German)"

Nomads wander. So they follow the comfortable climates and sceneries. Hm? I wonder why. "Wanderlust"

Nomafic tribes wander ....for food

I wish this was original to me and I don't remember where I saw it but I wander about wondering.

maki2 said:
Nomafic tribes wander ....for food

LOL, and Nomadic smokers travel in tribes to food festivals and Big Tent gatherings.

for me I am more wanderlust.

wanderlust
[ˈwändərˌləst]
NOUN
a strong desire to travel.
"a man consumed by wanderlust"

want to travel. need change of scenery.

I luckily don't feel a psycho urge to always walk or wander, well not just yet :)

That stuff wears out too many pairs of walking shoes and socks too. Therapy is definetly needed.

then we got this: Walkabout, Aussie style

Walkabout is a rite of passage in Australian Aboriginal society, during which males undergo a journey during adolescence, typically ages 10 to 16, and live in the wilderness for a period as long as six months to make the spiritual and traditional transition into manhood.

I think so many of us truly want a wandering soul of some sort :) we got it in us, whether we act on it is so personal to each of us.

When I was on an adventure there was a small amount of risk involved. I got better and the risk became less likely to kill me. In fact it's almost rare that anyone with activities like that would get killed outright. But I'm 70 and all that is behind me. Today as many of you know I like to hit the clubs. There's risk with that too. It all started with a desire to see if it could be done.

Attachments

• club.png
    club.png
    200.2 KB · Views: 5
I've been cured of the ability not the desire

It brings to mind the rodent experiments they did back in the 50's and 60's.
Where they built elaborate cities for the rats or mice and gave them everything they needed like food and water. But kept adding more animals to the environment. They observed that after a while the rodents would start to lash out at each other and develop antisocial behaviors.
I think in some regards "wanderlust" is a reaction to our modern high density lifestyle. A feeling that we need to flee that.
Even just relocating from a sheetrock and wood dwelling to a mobile one made of steel and plywood is a statement that you aren't buying into the whole mortgage chasing rat race.

There's always something new to see over the next hill.

Calaverasgrande said:
It brings to mind the rodent experiments they did back in the 50's and 60's . . .

Asian societies, particularly mega cities like Singapore, Hong Kong, Beijing, Tokyo, etc. give lie to that experiment being transferable to human behavior.

I think wanderlust is just part of growing up: the exercise of exploring our world to see where we fit in, to see if the grass is indeed greener somewhere else.  Some of us never outgrow it, some of us put our wanderlust on hold for more important goals, some of us have found where we fit and settle there, some of us find that wandering isn't for us.

Calaverasgrande said:
It brings to mind the rodent experiments they did back in the 50's and 60's.
Where they built elaborate cities for the rats or mice and gave them everything they needed like food and water. But kept adding more animals to the environment. They observed that after a while the rodents would start to lash out at each other and develop antisocial behaviors.
I think in some regards "wanderlust" is a reaction to our modern high density lifestyle. A feeling that we need to flee that.
Even just relocating from a sheetrock and wood dwelling to a mobile one made of steel and plywood is a statement that you aren't buying into the whole mortgage chasing rat race.
Behavioral Sink...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Behavioral_sink

Kind of terrifying.