Will there ever be a cure for Dromomania ?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spaceman Spiff said:
Asian societies, particularly mega cities like Singapore, Hong Kong, Beijing, Tokyo, etc. give lie to that experiment being transferable to human behavior.

I think wanderlust is just part of growing up: the exercise of exploring our world to see where we fit in, to see if the grass is indeed greener somewhere else.  Some of us never outgrow it, some of us put our wanderlust on hold for more important goals, some of us have found where we fit and settle there, some of us find that wandering isn't for us.
Well there is a cultural difference between most Asian countries and the English speaking West.
In Asia it is extremely common for multiple generations to live under the same roof. Including adult children.
In western countries, especially the Anglo-American ones, everyone is expected to be on their own by 18 if not off to college. Parents or grandparents moving in with their kids is seen as a burden or a failure. Adult children moving back in with their family is also seen as a capitulation. It's quite the trope, the creepy middle aged guy that still lives with his mom.
More simply we expect a lot more personal space and privacy, as well as self determination without family interference.
Most of the Hong Kongers I know in NY live with and support their extended families. And these are men and women in their 30's.

But then also I would also point out that not all "van life" people are youngsters.
Quite a lot of us are middle aged or retired.
(or retired in middle age)
Did quite a lot of traveling in my own youth. My family would get in the VW camper and travel up the east coast, to Colorado or Ohio to visit relatives. When I got older I was in a series of bands which toured. In my 50's I'm just returning to what I enjoyed most, sans family or band.
Have to say. Traveling the interstate isn't what it used to be. A lot of the local color is erased by Flying J type places and the ubiquitous cluster of Taco Bell/KFC, McDonalds and Subway.
If you are lucky you run across regional chains like Waffle House or Stuckeys.
Wait, is Stuckeys still around?

Calaverasgrande said:
Quite a lot of us are middle aged or retired.
(or retired in middle age)

I'm tired and don't plan on getting re tired at 70. If I take a job then I know that I will get tired. Then I will have to go back to re tired.

Yup do you as you want, no one has to ever fall into 'labels' assigned to people and if you feel you need a 'label' then ya got issues HAHA   Do you each day as you want, nothing can ever be wrong with just that!!

Calaverasgrande said:
Well there is a cultural difference between most Asian countries and the English speaking West . . .

Must have used American rats  :p

When an experiment doesn't explain the behavior of half of the human population one cannot conclude that the results are transferable to humans (overcrowding causes anti-social behavior).  You have to look for different causes.

And you can't pick on English speaking cultures either.  Central and South American countries have cities with much higher levels of violence than we do (Mexico City, San Palo, . . .); also African cities, non-English speaking European cities.

I think the urge to be progressive, improve our selves and our surroundings is hard wired into us and this i think is what drives us to explore. A cure or when this stops is when we find our personal utopia and that utopia is rooted. Another cure would be events such as political unrest, wars, pandemics, severe weather or other dangers. All of these are not really cures only pauses which will likely resume when events are over. Movement is governed by obstacles such as rivers, mountains or dangers. For example I wouldn’t travel to Afghanistan, Russia, Iraq, USA, Iran, Belarus, Israel, Siria, Congo, because these places are unsafe and lawless so my dromomania is limited to other countries on the planet due to circumstances. Although none of this a cure they are like staying in environments with allergies with less pollen or dry places with a lung issues, avoiding these places means you will likely live longer and breath better.

flying kurbmaster said:
Movement is governed by obstacles such as rivers, mountains or dangers. For example I wouldn’t travel to Afghanistan, Russia, Iraq, USA, Iran, Belarus, Israel, Siria, Congo,  because these places are unsafe and lawless

The U.S. gets visited by about 80,000,000 international travellers each year. So there are a lot of people much braver than you.

slow2day said:
The U.S. gets visited by about 80,000,000 international travellers each year. So there are a lot of people much braver than you.

There's not many people braver than me. So I'm going down to Compton tonight naked, carrying a White Power banner.

^
Actually you'd probably be fine. Anyone that tetched would be stayed away from.

Crazier I think. Just making fun of going to places that you know won't be good for you.