Will dog crates support a person?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lab_nomad

Reaction score
I didn’t know whether to post this in the pets area or the van area. I just got my minivan the other day, and for the time being, I’ll just be using it for sleeping to avoid motel costs when I’m going to a job that takes more than one day to get there, and to carry all my stuff around. I have a dog with me, and I’m trying to figure out the best way to have her with me. I thought about a crate, but it would take up valuable real estate. I already swapped out a full air mattress for a twin when I saw that the full one took up the entire van floor. But then I thought, would a crate (or 2) support me if I put plywood on top and used that for my bed? 

Penelope is about 24 lbs, and it looks like a crate for medium dogs would be about 21 inches. I don’t think that would be too high would it? 

Any thoughts? Am I off my nut?

Can she sleep in the front passenger seat?. My dog who's close to 100 pounds curls up there when I put the seat back , bring the footwell level to it with packed stuff, then throw his big sleep pad on top.

Cheers!

It’s not sleeping that’s a problem, it’s keeping her from going all over the van. I want her in the passenger seat, and she’s fairly content, but she sometimes wanders around and today she got muddy paw prints on the driver’s seat, my sleeping bag, etc. I was playing ball with her at a rest area, and the ground was muddy. I have the passenger seat covered with a blanket, but by the time I walked around to the driver’s side, she had gotten paw prints everywhere. I think they make things that attach to their harness and keep ‘em strapped in the seat. Maybe that would work?

You can make a bed frame that includes a hinged door in it. It can have open weaved mesh panels on the door and other areas of the bed front and sides. No need to do it with an actual dog crate. The heavy duty vinyl coated mesh is sold by the yard.

lab_nomad said:
It’s not sleeping that’s a problem, it’s keeping her from going all over the van. I want her in the passenger seat, and she’s fairly content, but she sometimes wanders around and today she got muddy paw prints on the driver’s seat, my sleeping bag, etc. I was playing ball with her at a rest area, and the ground was muddy. I have the passenger seat covered with a blanket, but by the time I walked around to the driver’s side, she had gotten paw prints everywhere. I think they make things that attach to their harness and keep ‘em strapped in the seat. Maybe that would work?

Oh yeah... been there... A way to contain Fido is always a good thing when traveling. Your dog is on the small side.Have you considered a collapsible cage/crate or soft sided carrier that would fit on the front seat? That would eliminate the need for space, complicated modifications or expense. Mine is too big for a standing crate so I have a collapsible cage w a plastic tub type bottom for him when needed.

Cheers!

Let me know how it works... my dog always takes MY spot! I wouldn’t want her locking me in her crate! Haha!
As far as dirty dogs... especially now I have to keep old towels around and I cover my seat as she gets in. Dogs can be a pain in the butt... but she says the same thing about me!
I’d build the bed so the crate would fit just under. It might support you fine. But incorporating it into the structure may limit potentials and cause other concerns.

lab_nomad said:
It’s not sleeping that’s a problem, it’s keeping her from going all over the van . . . I think they make things that attach to their harness and keep ‘em strapped in the seat. Maybe that would work?

It is my belief that all occupants of a vehicle should be restrained.  You wear seat belts for obvious reasons, so should your dog:
 - minimize injury in case of an accident or panic stop.
 - keep your dog from jumping on you and causing an accident.
 - keep your dog from tracking dirt and/or damaging your vehicle.
There are harnesses made for dogs to specifically to tie into your vehicles seat belts.

I went further and built a platform for my beagle; its his space.  A larger space to move around on vs. the seat.  It has his stuff: a fixed water bowl, blanket and toys.  He is tied directly to the seat anchor.  He can touch me but not jump on me while I am driving:

nest.jpg

Attachments

• nest.jpg
    nest.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 9
Spaceman Spiff,
I've done exactly the same as you. Works wonderfully. Highly recomend.
dcb ib Vt

JDub said:
Oh yeah... been there... A way to contain Fido is always a good thing when traveling. Your dog is on the small side.Have you considered a collapsible cage/crate or soft sided carrier that would fit on the front seat? That would eliminate the need for space, complicated modifications or expense. Mine is too big for a standing crate so I have a collapsible cage w a plastic tub type bottom for him when needed.

Cheers!

A collapsible crate might be a good idea for the front seat, thanks!

NctryBen said:
Let me know how it works... my dog always takes MY spot! I wouldn’t want her locking me in her crate! Haha!
As far as dirty dogs... especially now I have to keep old towels around and I cover my seat as she gets in. Dogs can be a pain in the butt... but she says the same thing about me!
I’d build the bed so the crate would fit just under. It might support you fine. But incorporating it into the structure may limit potentials and cause other concerns.

Oh, that’s a good idea. Easier for me to make a bed platform than to make a crate for a dog.

lab_nomad said:
...and it looks like a crate for medium dogs would be about 21 inches. I don’t think that would be too high would it?

21 inches of crate + half inch of plywood + 4 to 6 inches of mattress + the thickness of your body = how much? How tall is the interior of your minivan?

We have two 20lb dogs in our Nissan NV2500 when we travel. Since our bed is a shortened double bed, sleeping with them is untenable, besides, our younger dog "wanders" in the van at night, so they have to be crated. Our wire van crate is small, only 24inches and they kinda sleep on top of each other, but they like it and go in there on their own during the day (together). We don't use it for anything for sleeping otherwise.

While we're driving the crate sits on the bed. When we're camping (not stealth), we put the crate on either front seat. If its cold (not lower than the low 20s), we wrap the crate with a down throw and they are toasty. We have a Wave 3 heater, but it doesn't heat the cab very well. If its lower than the 20s, they do sleep on the bed with us, but not more than a day or two, we move to warmer climes or go to a hotel. And then we enjoy the luxuries of running (hot) water and a flush toilet.

If we are stealthing, the crate goes on the floor in the middle of the van, but then we're not able to access the fridge, but that's not a problem at night.

I wouldn't feel comfortable resting a bed (with us on it) on the our crate. A dog will not likely survive if the crate fails and the bed collapses (with our 300lbs betweenthe two of us), crushing the crate and your baby. Maybe you can find a stronger crate or build a little frame around it (a few 2"x4"s should do it for you).

Ted

You will need to train your dog to stay off of beds and chairs. When your animal gets in your space this way, it is challenging your dominance. This becomes more of a problem in small spaces. Invest in some dog treats and do the daily training. Dogs learn pretty fast.
-crofter

MrNoodly said:
21 inches of crate + half inch of plywood + 4 to 6 inches of mattress + the thickness of your body = how much? How tall is the interior of your minivan?

Good point. I think that’ll be too high. I rewatched the video Bob did where he put a cot in a minivan. I think I’ll just do that (it’s 14 inches tall) and then figure out a system to restrain Penelope in the front passenger seat.

crofter said:
You will need to train your dog to stay off of beds and chairs. When your animal gets in your space this way, it is challenging your dominance. This becomes more of a problem in small spaces. Invest in some dog treats and do the daily training. Dogs learn pretty fast.
-crofter
They're our babies, much more spoiled than my kids were. We only have about a square meter of open floor and if the dogs aren't on the bed or seats, we trip over them.  There are worse things for us.
Ted

When I lived in the pickup with my German Shepherd Dog, he knew where his seat was. He had plenty of room and everything was covered with vinyl so easy to clean. I had the food & water setup between the seat and the dash. Electric windows were easy to adjust for smelling the breeze.
-crofter

I think I will order the bed frame recommended by Bob in one of his videos. It’s 14 inches high. I’ll store things underneath and then for the dog, I’ll get a contraption to belt her into the front seat while I’m driving.

Well, today I got a strap that hooks on Penelope’s harness and the other end goes into the seatbelt contraption. It’s working so far. I picked it up at Petsmart. It was under 15 bucks and it’s sturdy.

And I got my bed platform, so I will try to put that together today or tomorrow.

lab_nomad said:
I didn’t know whether to post this in the pets area or the van area. I just got my minivan the other day, and for the time being, I’ll just be using it for sleeping to avoid motel costs when I’m going to a job that takes more than one day to get there, and to carry all my stuff around. I have a dog with me, and I’m trying to figure out the best way to have her with me. I thought about a crate, but it would take up valuable real estate. I already swapped out a full air mattress for a twin when I saw that the full one took up the entire van floor. But then I thought, would a crate (or 2) support me if I put plywood on top and used that for my bed? 

Penelope is about 24 lbs, and it looks like a crate for medium dogs would be about 21 inches. I don’t think that would be too high would it? 

Any thoughts? Am I off my nut?
Sorry, but unless you have air conditioning going in that a mini-van,  that would be VERY CRUEL (not to mention illegal!) to keep a dog crated in a HOT CAR all day long.

Whatever the temperature is outside, the car will be at least 30 degrees hotter. AT LEAST.

Kids and animals die all the time in the summer. Don't kill your dog. Please. That would be a terrible, terrible way to die.

Also, if she is crated, she can't bark at people at the window and ask for help.

If you're going to keep your dog crated in a hot car all day long, without air conditioning, that is animal abuse, and I hope you'll give her up to someone who can take care of her better.

What about 8 hrs of doggie daycare? That's not that expensive. Much, much MUCH cheaper than a hotel.