Why would you NOT insulate your van?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A furnace vents the propane combustion to the outside so it is a dry heat like a stick and bricks. The wave heater does not vent to the outside so the propane combustion is inside and a byproduct of the combustion (beside carbon monoxide) is water.

Using the wave was the main reason for the condensation, the atwood would not have done that.

jacqueg said:
I spent a snowy winter living in an insulated Airstream, which had about 3/4" of some kind of foam insulation, covered with what I think is some kind of vinyl.

It has both an Atwood furnace and an Olympian wave heater. If I wanted heat at night, I'd usually use the Wave, since it is close to the front bed where I slept. Using either one at night to maintain a minimum temperature, I'd wake up in the morning with condensation on the walls and windows.

My conclusion is that there may be good reasons to insulate your van, but preventing condensation does not appear to be one of them. In fact, I worry that improperly applied diy insulation could result in condensation between the insulation and the van walls. I'd rather sleep chilly at night than run that risk.

Comments welcome, as I'm trying to decide whether or not to insulate my van.
I am sure if there was no insulation in your Airstream it would have been a lot more uncomfortable both in the cold and in the heat, imagine 1/16 of an inch of highly conductive alluminium, in sub freezing temparatures then you with a heater that is a bit short of a boiling kettle, never mind condensation you would have icicles, alternatively, behind that alluminium with a hot sun glaring down on it, it would be like being in a nylon tent in the sun.  If you were using the wave, a non vented propane heater, at any time you were manufacturing water. I can’t speak for anyone else and everyone’s experience is different, I am a bit surprised by those that are saying that there is no reason to insulate there is a reason we have been insulating our caves for centuries.  My own experience in temperature in the low 20’s f or -8 c I had no condensation on my insulated walls or my single glazed Windows when running my vented propane dickenson heater, a bit of condensation on my windows in the morning because I don’ t sleep with the heater on, but a quick wipe and whithin an hour of lighting it all was dried up. I had insulation in my ceiling, and was getting a bit of condensation on the ceiling inside one of my cupboards, I installed another  inch of foam insulation with 1/4 tung and grove boards over the entire ceiling including inside the cupboards and that disappeared. Is there condensation between my insulation and my outside wall I don’t know, I did take a section apart after a few years and did not see any mould which was a concern of mine. so if there is some water that forms there it must dry out but I don’t know about everywhere. 
I guess if you are worried about a bit of water in between your walls and like being Uncomfortable then don’t insulate, or perhaps undercoat them first to prevent any rusting. I guess it all comes down to what level of discomfort you enjoy.

B and C said:
A furnace vents the propane combustion to the outside so it is a dry heat like a stick and bricks.  The wave heater does not vent to the outside so the propane combustion is inside and a byproduct of the combustion (beside carbon monoxide) is water.

Using the wave was the main reason for the condensation, the atwood would not have done that.
I don't remember it that way, but it's been a while, I could be mistaken.

It wasn't a huge problem, though, turn up the heat in the morning, and within a couple hours, all was dry.

flying kurbmaster said:
I am sure if there was no insulation in your Airstream it would have been a lot more uncomfortable both in the cold and in the heat, imagine 1/16 of an inch of highly conductive alluminium, in sub freezing temparatures then you with a heater that is a bit short of a boiling kettle, never mind condensation you would have icicles, alternatively, behind that alluminium with a hot sun glaring down on it, it would be like being in a nylon tent in the sun.  If you were using the wave, a non vented propane heater, at any time you were manufacturing water. I can’t speak for anyone else and everyone’s experience is different, I am a bit surprised by those that are saying that there is no reason to insulate there is a reason we have been insulating our caves for centuries.  My own experience in temperature in the low 20’s f or -8 c I had no condensation on my insulated walls or my single glazed Windows when running my vented propane dickenson heater, a bit of condensation on my windows in the morning because I don’ t sleep with the heater on, but a quick wipe and whithin an hour of lighting it all was dried up. I had insulation in my ceiling, and was getting a bit of condensation on the ceiling inside one of my cupboards, I installed another  inch of foam insulation with 1/4 tung and grove boards over the entire ceiling including inside the cupboards and that disappeared. Is there condensation between my insulation and my outside wall I don’t know, I did take a section apart after a few years and did not see any mould which was a concern of mine. so if there is some water that forms there it must dry out but I don’t know about everywhere. 
I guess if you are worried about a bit of water in between your walls and like being Uncomfortable then don’t insulate, or perhaps undercoat them first to prevent any rusting. I guess it all comes down to what level of discomfort you enjoy.
I wasn't uncomfortable, I like to sleep in a cool "room" anyway. Hop out of bed in the morning, turn up the heat, and snuggle back in until things have warmed up. Or stay up and wear several layers until things have warmed up. 

I'm worried about moisture trapped where I can't see it. Quite a bit of my adult life has been spent in old houses with minimal or no insulation and no central heating, and I actually prefer it to a house that's kept at 70 over night. Just don't wanna rust out my van! Also, I can't help wondering how hard it would be to remove the insulation if I should decide I didn't want it.

And I'd refer you to your own signature - " If everyone is doing it, then why the Hell should I "

I tried my catalytic heater during a wet snow cold evening. Before finishing supper, I was damp and chilled, with water on every cold surface. I spent three days installing a Suburban RV heater with a thermostat. Now I am warm, dry, and can sleep with heat. Very nice when getting up for the necessary.

I still use a catalytic heater but it requires a lot of venting/circulation to prevent condensation which requires a fan. Using a small electric fan with the Wave 3 heater has allowed me to boondock longer periods of time than with other types of heaters, although if pluged in to shore power I just use ceramic heaters and the stock Suburban heater with enough solar and batteries following the weather would work as well.

jacqueg said:
I wasn't uncomfortable, I like to sleep in a cool "room" anyway. Hop out of bed in the morning, turn up the heat, and snuggle back in until things have warmed up. Or stay up and wear several layers until things have warmed up. 

I'm worried about moisture trapped where I can't see it. Quite a bit of my adult life has been spent in old houses with minimal or no insulation and no central heating, and I actually prefer it to a house that's kept at 70 over night. Just don't wanna rust out my van! Also, I can't help wondering how hard it would be to remove the insulation if I should decide I didn't want it.

And I'd refer you to your own signature - " If everyone is doing it, then why the Hell should I "

Then don’t insulate,,,, however there will still be plenty of places that you will not be able to wipe off moisture. The flat wall area or ceiling is not the areas that usually rust anyways. It is in the nooks and crannies, Bottom of the doors, base of the support beams, roof line, floor. In my thinking the more condensation you create the more likely these places will get moist and stay moist. In an ideal environment you don’t need insulation, never too cold, never too hot, plenty of available shade, good ventilation. The only advantage of insulating then is noise, and that alone is a good enough reason in my mind. People walking by don’t have to hear me snore or fart.