Why even use Solar Panels?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sonnyblu42

Reaction score
When you can charge your batteries off your vehicle so much faster.
Why not invest that Solar Panel money in buying another battery?

I want to power a Fridge a couple of fans, my phone and laptop. That's it... All 12 volt, no inverter, no AC.

Everyone must consider the pros and cons of different charging and storage options as they relate to their own particular needs and situation. For some, simply storing energy in batteries is plenty. If you drive every day, long enough for your alternator to fully charge your storage battery system, and your needs are small, great! If you like to find a lovely spot in the wilderness and stay for days or weeks, you will need some alternative means of getting energy into your batteries, whether by means of a generator or, if you want to be more free of fossil fuels with their noise, smell, expense, etc, solar is a good option.

I've been using solar energy for 4 years. I changed rigs a few months ago, and the new one has a great big ol' generator, so I thought I would be fine. Four months into that, and I just had 900 watts of solar installed! Ahhhh, freedom from noise, stench, vibration, and the constant need to replenish fuel!

Hope this helps.

The Dire Wolfess

because you CAN NOT charge them any faster off an vehicle alternator. it takes 5-8 hours of driving at highway speed to fully recharge a deep cycle battery. if someone told you different they gave you bad advice. however it is beneficial to use the alternator as another source of charging. why not get some power since you are driving anyways. highdesertranger

The cost in gasoline to run your engine will cost more, over time, than the solar panels. And, it is very damaging to your engine to idle for long periods of time. Now, if you do a lot of driving anyway then that isn't such a big deal.

Finally a car alternator will NOT charge deep cycle batteries to 100%. Only to about 80%. You need a proper charger to trickle charger the rest, which takes a long time

A combination of both engine and a small solar setup would do just fine

If you only spend one night sitting, and then driving the next, that might work. But ideling the motor is hard on engines, especially gasoline engines; to idle, warm up or charge a battery.

The engine piston isn't a tight fit in the motor. They have a few metal rings around it to fill in the gap. They don't get enough lubrication at idle and will wear down the cylinder walls over time. It costs more than fuel to idle. Diesel engines do better with this because they burn fuel oil. Keyword "oil".

Solar is cheaper in the long run.

It's a pay now or pay later type of deal.

Very great information... My thinking (and ignorance) is only due to various things I have read and seen online.
Yours answers are why I am asking... I am learning the facts! And now I understand very important things.
So... Thank you... :)

remember it still doesn't hurt to use the alternator as an added charge source on top of the solar. highdesertranger

Charging from my van alternator is not an option for me because I don't drive often enough for it to work. (It takes a long time to charge lead-acid batteries, especially the last few percent, because of the chemistry involved.)

So, although my actual power needs are pretty low, it's solar for me.

There are some nomads who live happily without things that require a lot of electricity. They get by with just plugging their phone or tablet or whatever into the vehicle's electrical system. No solar, no house batteries.

I have four charging sources, shore, generator, solar and alternator. Can't have too many charging options. They all have their place. The alternator and generator are great to get a depleted bank back to about 80% charged but suck for the last 20%. Don't idle your engine to use the alternator charging, it needs airflow to cool the alternator, i.e. driving. Shore power speaks for itself. The solar (if enough installed) will handle all charging needs but it really shines on getting that last 20% into the batteries.

The start of a charge cycle uses the most power, the end the least. If you are only using solar you’ll have excess power for much of the day.

I use that excess, but if you don’t alternator or generator charging for a short period in the morning can be a big help.

Also, you don’t need to get to 100% every day.

Automotive electrical systems are designed to provide for SLI, starting, lighting, and ignition.  Those are what the vehicle requires.  

I don't remember the actual quote.  I think it was from Henry Ford.  He said that if you cut a penny of cost out of a car, after a million units it adds up to a lot of money.  

Most people overestimate how much electricity you can take from a vehicle.

Ford Transit cargo vans come with an optional dual battery system. I have been trying to find an explanation or description of how the system works and what is was designed for and am having no luck whatsoever - not even from Ford’s website pr the official Ford Youtube channel. I am assuming that the dual system is designed to support a commercial build out and some limited electrical needs but can’t find anything more than articles/videos on how to replace the batteries. Can anybody help me with some information or direct me to a source of information?

Matildas mate said:
Ford Transit cargo vans come with an optional dual battery system. I have been trying to find an explanation or description of how the system works and what is was designed for and am having no luck whatsoever - not even from Ford’s website pr the official Ford Youtube channel. 

Generally speaking, for gas engines, dual batteries are an option intended for colder climates. Like upgraded (or dual) alternators, cargo heaters, or snow tires.

Colder weather, and more northern lattitudes, sometimes means the standard components are not always sufficient.

Usually they are just wired in parallel. But they might have a battery disconnect switch for one or the other.

Sonnyblu42 said:
When you can charge your batteries off your vehicle so much faster.

Faster for early Bulk charging, yes.  Alternator charging is unlikely to charge at high enough voltage for a long enough duration to complete Absorption.  

Why not invest that Solar Panel money in buying another battery?

Chronic undercharging of two batteries is not necessarily preferable to chronic undercharging of just one.

The neat thing about alternator/generator + solar charging is the two sources complement each other:

1. alternator charging (early in the morning when batteries are depleted) jams a ton of current into the battery bank when the batteries most need that (bulk stage).  And it does it when solar doesn't do well (semi-darkness)
  2. solar charging will provide higher voltage and hours of charging when the bank needs that (absorption stage).  And solar will hold optimum battery voltage and help meet electrical demands while the sun is shining.  With sane loads and some solar one can still have a full battery until the sun goes down.

I want to power a Fridge a couple of fans, my phone and laptop. That's it... All 12 volt, no inverter, no AC.

In a situation like that I'd recommend alternator charging + 100-200w of panel, or regular access to shore power to get the batteries actually fully charged.

For completeness, I'll add my +1 to the warning not to idle the vehicle to charge by alternator.

If your vehicle is a hybrid, then solar will have little, if any benefit. The gas engine will kick on when needed which might be objectionable for some. The benefit is you get a very efficient electric generator as a bonus to the great mpg. I can run 1500 watts AC from my Prius if I had the need for it. I'm going to add a 300-500 watt inverter before the RTC to power an electric blanket and maybe some other small needs.

I had a person tell me the same thing ON A SOLAR FORUM. Even better, he had a 5th wheel and thought that the tiny wires used in a 7 pin was going to carry that kind of current nor was he considering many of the other things already said about RPM'S, the loads the running of the truck and the effects of heat generated by running the alternator at full power for a extended time.

There ain't no free power, period. Any time you make it mechanically something wears somewhere and your the one that pays for it. If you want the cheapest power plug into the grid. Hybrid vehicles are just generators and large battery banks that in the long run cost quite a bit of money. Maybe there are some that you can get cheaply now that they are older but they only have a limited life span before maintenance costs take them off the road and the stuff you had in your refigerator crammed in the back makes you wish you had thought a little more about solar.

Matildas mate said:
Ford Transit cargo vans come with an optional dual battery system. I have been trying to find an explanation or description of how the system works and what is was designed for and am having no luck whatsoever - not even from Ford’s website pr the official Ford Youtube channel. I am assuming that the dual system is designed to support a commercial build out and some limited electrical needs but can’t find anything more than articles/videos on how to replace the batteries. Can anybody help me with some information or direct me to a source of information?
So, my Chevy 2500HD truck has dual batteries. They are both starter batteries, so there is no intention of using one as a storage battery to run xyz. I was wondering that when I first got it, but found out that the engine on these things takes such a surge to start up that they've gone to dual starter batteries. Who knew. I had to get a jump once and there was a lot of head scratching until I broke down and RFM, and the manual explained it all.

The Dire Wolfess

Solar is not really necessary for a campervan - especially if you're on a budget. That said: a fridge, fans, laptop and phone is a lot. If you can sub the fridge for a high quality cooler you won't need solar and you'll save a lot of money.

You can charge the laptop and phones at a Starbucks or with your car's cigarette lighter. They also have little battery packs you can buy for pretty cheap that you can use when your car isn't running or when your initial battery runs low.

Solar gets expensive and complicated quick, so I would see if you can live without it first. You might be surprised.

Latest posts