why don't more people choose the Sprinter vans?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was tempted to get one because my neighbor has one and I like the fact I can stand up in it. That being said he has had several problems with it and the parts are sky high. Throw labor in and that 20+ mpg doesn't look so good. I'm over 6ft and my stooping days are behind me so I went with the high top Nissan. Nice van but the MPG is Bad 8-10 in city and maybe 13 on the road. There is always a trade off. I traded a Ram 1500 in on it and my experience with Dodge turned me off from any of their stuff again, transmissions are garbage. Ford looks like a good alternative for a high top. Good luck with the hunt.

SternWake said:
A friend of mine bought a 2005 sprinter, and it has been a money pit with electrical/ fuel delivery issues and is mostly parked down at the mechanics for about 10 months now while they attempt to troubleshoot the issue.

You might suggest to him that he use the Sprinter forums as a resource. Just like here, there are a number of very knowledgable mechanics who post there, with the added bonus of everything being about the same vehicle. There is also an extensive searchable database. Odds are good the problems he's having are well covered ground for a 2005...

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/index.php

Goshawk said:
 While Chevy-ford get 10 plus with mpg. Thats worth something in a year. Twice the gallons to go same distance. But it's not worth a lot of you have to get a $1000 repair every six months with special sensors and components failing early.

The Chevy 5.3 can easily get 17-20 MPG. We drove my girlfriedns to Alaska and back and averaged 17 mpg for the trip. And that's not exceptional, I have several friends with the 5.3 and they all get that MPG. It's just that good. 

It's also totally rock solid and exceptionally reliable. So, like you said, that alone will make it cost less in the long run.
Bob

For the record Car and Driver just published an article comparing the 2015 Sprinter, Ford Transit and Promaster. They crucified the Promaster and gave glowing reviews to the Transit.

Am speculating that the high Millage vans with 200,000 miles might get much lower MPG? That a symptom of older engine is the mpg drops significantly below 10 mpg? Just can't believe that folks can live in a vehicle getting below 10. But guess they do.

Depends on the vehicle. I get considerably less than 10 mpg but, then again, I can still carry over 1 ton (despite all my stuff and it being camperized), use cheap propane for fuel, and have loads of room. Also dirt cheap to maintain/fix with a body that will never rust. ..Willy.

Goshawk said:
Am speculating that the high Millage vans with 200,000 miles might get much lower MPG?  That a symptom of older engine is the mpg drops significantly below 10 mpg? Just can't believe that folks can live in a vehicle getting below 10. But guess they do.

I've never heard of that, although that doesn't mean it's impossible. A small percentage drop might be common though.

I think you're reaching. The simple fact is that any American van of the same year as a Sprinter will not be far from the MPG. The smaller V8s from Ford and Chevy will routinely get 16-20 MPG depending on how you drive and load it. The Ford V10 won't but it's overkill for a van. On the Highway I'd expect any Chevy to get 18-20.

The very low MPG is for older vans but it's not at all fair or reasonable to compare a van from the 90s to a van for the late 2000s. It's apples and oranges.
Bob

here's a video on mpg
[video=youtube]

what happens is a mpg race between a 400hp bmw m3 and a prius around a track,the prius goes around as fast as it can,the bmw keeps up

the results
prius 17.2 mpg
bmw 19.4 mpg

your right foot has more to do with mpg then the vehicle you are driving,to a point

of course they race supercars first and a ferrari get 1. something mpg

When I first started shopping around for a rig I was considering a Sprinter.

I was warned off by a good friend who is a fleet mechanic. He has about every certification a mechanic can get and about 30 years experience to go with it, so I trust his opinion in all things vehicle related.

He gets to work on Sprinters daily and told me that owning one would be nothing but constant expense and frustration.

I still ended up buying a Chrysler product, though!

I haven't heard much from people whoactually OWN a sprinter.

"Seems like the perfect van with stealth, high top etc.", i totally agree.  My sprinter has more room than my first college dorm room.

"I drive a 2015 Sprinter every day for work (used to drive a 2012) and can tell you that a month doesn't go by without some warning/service light coming on, requiring a trip to the Mercedes dealer ($$$$$). "  I've driven a sprinter for 6 or 7 years.  My first one, a 2002, I bought with 310,000 miles.  It needed an egr valve and thermostat when I bought it.  I paid $7,500 for it, spent $1,800 to replace the egr valve, service the transmission, and other stuff.  I then drove it 85,000 miles, during which I had the exhaust system fall off (I put it in the back, went to a shop and they welded it back on), boiught new tires, new battery, and changed my own oil about 8 times.  Then I sold that good running van for $2,500.  

"They're also ridiculously expensive to purchase, register, insure, etc.  "  I don't know where you heard this, it's simply not true.

"I would add that they appear to be quite susceptible to "frame" and body rust here in the NE".  Don't know about "frame" rust.  My 2002 I bought in Michigan, where they salt the roads heavily, didn't appear to have any frame rust (I was under it regularly).  It had body rust, especially around the windows.  Once a year I'd touch up the rust spots, and after 4 years it didn't seem to be getting any worse.  This is a commercial van, not a luxury vehicle.

"We have a 1993 Ford Club Wagon E350 and I tend to think it will still be on the road after the Sprinters are just a memory."  I'd put money on that one!  I'd also bet that 99% of the 1993 Fords have been melted down years ago.  Personally, I'd advise someone planning on traveling and living in a van NOT to get a 1993 Ford for that purpose.

"I have previously read up on these over the net, seems like a common theme is repair, repair repair."  That's the problem with the internet.  Someone has lots of repair issues so he's all over the internet whining.  The rest of us are driving our vans.

"My stepvans are significantly roomier, (even the short ones) and I can get 'em with a diesel,..."  Not sure about the room.  My sprinter is 16.5 feet from the partition to the back door, 6'4" tall.  But you've got me on driving with the door open, I can't do that!  However, can you drive 80 mph?

"Plus the big one for me is that the Sprinter is a high maintenance vehicle"  Mine haven't been.

"I'd like a Mercedes...But again it's simply $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$"

My 2014 sprinter cost just about $50,000.  It calls for oil changes every 15,000 miles.  It's the most popular commercial van in the world.  It didn't get to be that way because it breaks down once a month.  My 2014 sprinter has 35,000 miles.  I had one trouble code, and that was to call for a software update.  That did irritate me, but it was no charge, and I got my oil changed at the same time.

Sprinters are great vehicles.  There are plenty of used ones with 125,000 miles for 12-15k.  I would have gotten one of those, but I figured any used sprinter van I buy will have been driven by someone who doesn't own it.

Yes, they rust, but for commercial use, if it's driven 50,000 miles / year, in 10 years it will be rusty with 500,000 miles and ready to retire.  Mercedes makes luxury cars and commercial vans, and they're different.  At the mercedes dealership, most customers are millionaires and they don't care about the cost of an oil change.  For service, I think the dealership might not be the best choice for a sprinter.

Having said all that, if I were to do it over, I'd look hard at the Ford Transit.  It's a clone of the sprinter, as are all the others.  It's American made, and they have a better dealer network than Mercedes.  One big factor for me was mileage.  My 2002 got 25 mpg (driving 63 mph, 70 pounds of air in all 4 tires).  My 2014 gets 27 if I try hard, 23 if I cruise at 70-75. 

I'll be at the RTR in a few days, so you can stop by and check out my sprinter.

HarmonicaBruce said:
"My stepvans are significantly roomier, (even the short ones) and I can get 'em with a diesel,..."  Not sure about the room.  My sprinter is 16.5 feet from the partition to the back door, 6'4" tall.  But you've got me on driving with the door open, I can't do that!  However, can you drive 80 mph?

first, my stepvans have all been 7 FEET 4" wide. Your Sprinter is only 6.6.
so, for a van that's 12 feet long, that adds up to 9 1/2 FEET more interior room, for a van of the same length.
in living in a small space, that 9 1/2 feet of additional room adds right up!
They don't taper up near the top like a Sprinter does, which also takes a small bit of my precious interior space.

btw...I don't drive 80, and won't.

but I'm glad you enjoy your Sprinter. :)

There is a couple living in. A sprinter who claim 25mpg on most days.

MPG was a big concern for me as I fell victim to all the hype about the price of oil, but with gasalmost free, its not such an issue anymore.  A step-van could be coold

Would love to consider a sprinter. But only after a mechanic does a compression test and have the oils analyzed for particles. If the engine was not cared for, its speculation if it's good or not, without aggressive tests at 200k miles (the age of these vans is at least that many miles). It's all a gamble though I suppose. Just a gasoline American engine is so much cheaper to replace.

HarmonicaBruce said:

"Seems like the perfect van with stealth, high top etc.", i totally agree.  My sprinter has more room than my first college dorm room.

"They're also ridiculously expensive to purchase, register, insure, etc.  "  I don't know where you heard this, it's simply not true.

"I would add that they appear to be quite susceptible to "frame" and body rust here in the NE".  Don't know about "frame" rust.  My 2002 I bought in Michigan, where they salt the roads heavily, didn't appear to have any frame rust (I was under it regularly).  It had body rust, especially around the windows.  Once a year I'd touch up the rust spots, and after 4 years it didn't seem to be getting any worse.  This is a commercial van, not a luxury vehicle.

"We have a 1993 Ford Club Wagon E350 and I tend to think it will still be on the road after the Sprinters are just a memory."  I'd put money on that one!  I'd also bet that 99% of the 1993 Fords have been melted down years ago.  Personally, I'd advise someone planning on traveling and living in a van NOT to get a 1993 Ford for that purpose.

"I have previously read up on these over the net, seems like a common theme is repair, repair repair."  That's the problem with the internet.  Someone has lots of repair issues so he's all over the internet whining.  The rest of us are driving our vans.

Sprinters are great vehicles.  There are plenty of used ones with 125,000 miles for 12-15k.  I would have gotten one of those, but I figured any used sprinter van I buy will have been driven by someone who doesn't own it.

Yes, they rust, but for commercial use, if it's driven 50,000 miles / year, in 10 years it will be rusty with 500,000 miles and ready to retire.  Mercedes makes luxury cars and commercial vans, and they're different.  At the mercedes dealership, most customers are millionaires and they don't care about the cost of an oil change.  For service, I think the dealership might not be the best choice for a sprinter.

Having said all that, if I were to do it over, I'd look hard at the Ford Transit.  It's a clone of the sprinter, as are all the others.  It's American made, and they have a better dealer network than Mercedes.  One big factor for me was mileage.  My 2002 got 25 mpg (driving 63 mph, 70 pounds of air in all 4 tires).  My 2014 gets 27 if I try hard, 23 if I cruise at 70-75. 

Thanks Bruce, some very good points. I know three  Sprinters personally (my boss and 2 contractor friends) and when I bring up some of the maintenance issues that I come across while researching on the internet, they all basically scratch their heads and reply with something like, "huh, never heard about all that, but I've been perfectly happy with mine..."

I expect to be purchasing a dwelling vehicle this year and would prefer a gas Transit I think, but the Sprinter has been out so long that there's a price-point to meet any budget I decide on (or get approved for).

I've also started looking at step vans as a result of things people have posted on this forum. TBH, I had to look up what a step van actually was. The fellow (sorry, can't remember name without clicking out of this reply) doing the "twinkie hotel" conversion has a skill set far outside of mine though, and I've found that step vans that are in good condition with lower mileage are not exactly "cheap" alternatives.

What a bummer though that Dodge seems to have completely missed the target with their initial offering in this class...the cargo box makes it something I'd really have liked to consider...

Am also finalizing thoughts that a sprinter may get 25-ish mpg. But quality fuel availability, repair risk costs, and major replacement costs all factor into the savings. These other factors cut savings and substitute risk. A dodge or ford camper van RV class b with low miles is just as good or better an investment even if it gets 15mpg.

But these class c with 8mpg just don't compare at all.

"I drive a 2015 Sprinter every day for work (used to drive a 2012) and can tell you that a month doesn't go by without some warning/service light coming on, requiring a trip to the Mercedes dealer ($$$$$). "  I've driven a sprinter for 6 or 7 years.  My first one, a 2002, I bought with 310,000 miles.  It needed an egr valve and thermostat when I bought it.  I paid $7,500 for it, spent $1,800 to replace the egr valve, service the transmission, and other stuff.  I then drove it 85,000 miles, during which I had the exhaust system fall off (I put it in the back, went to a shop and they welded it back on), boiught new tires, new battery, and changed my own oil about 8 times.  Then I sold that good running van for $2,500.  

"Plus the big one for me is that the Sprinter is a high maintenance vehicle"  Mine haven't been.

"I'd like a Mercedes...But again it's simply $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$"

My 2014 sprinter cost just about $50,000.  It calls for oil changes every 15,000 miles.  It's the most popular commercial van in the world.  It didn't get to be that way because it breaks down once a month.  My 2014 sprinter has 35,000 miles.  I had one trouble code, and that was to call for a software update.  That did irritate me, but it was no charge, and I got my oil changed at the same time.

akrvbob said:
The Chevy 5.3 can easily get 17-20 MPG. We drove my girlfriedns to Alaska and back and averaged 17 mpg for the trip. And that's not exceptional, I have several friends with the 5.3 and they all get that MPG. It's just that good. 

It's also totally rock solid and exceptionally reliable. So, like you said, that alone will make it cost less in the long run.
Bob

I agree. Back in my married days, we owned a 2002/2003 Chevy Suburban with the 5.3. Smooth, powerful, reliable and decent mileage for the size weight of the vehicle. Not sure about the longevity of the 4speed auto trans, Ive been told the newer 6 speed is a lot better. Maybe those with experience could share. I think a stepvan with a Chevy v8 would be killer rig.

http://fedextrucksforsale.com/index.php/home