Why do people buy two 6 volt batteries?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Six volt golf cart batteries are true deep cycle and have over 200 amp hour ratings. You would be hard pressed to find one 12 volt battery with that amp hour rating, that you would be able to handle.

I'm showing up here as a mobile service provider heavily reliant on power out of the service vehicle.

A colleague ran four golf cart batteries in one of his trucks for 14 years. They're easily maintained. Heck, you can get an 'automatic' water setup for them as well.

For my van conversion (sprinter) we built a frame to hang the golf cart batteries under the truck. It's a little bit of a project to lower them and check water. We're currently on our second set. The first set lasted 7 years with ZERO maintenance other than doing our best to stay over 50%. I was terrible about checking water....but they still did quite well.

My reasons for GC2 FLA batteries:

1. Golf cart batteries are true deep cycle batteries.
  2. GC2 batteries are made for rough, high vibration mobile use.
  3. I got mine at Sam's Club (~$85 each), can return or exchange anywhere I find a Sam's Club.
  4. 62 lbs each vs. ~120 lbs for a comparable 12V.  Much easier to handle; especially since I have to reach into my battery box.
  5. With FLA batteries I can measure specific gravity to monitor battery condition.
  6. I can add distilled water as needed.
  7. Two GC2 batteries fit into my battery box.
  8. FLA batteries are more forgiving of overcharging and equalizing than AGM batteries.

-- Spiff

...So for a V1 engine, do you cut the cylinder in half? :p.

OP, they probably meant 210 AH. The cheaper GC's are 210 (T605, Brands usually found at Costco, etc.) and the better ones are 225 (T-105).

Battery model numbering never made any sense...