Who here rents a driveway for nightly use?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nature lover said:
Ridgeway - them days is long gone

Sadly.. I know

Sometimes I think towns fade and somewhere will replace them. I don't know of any places like that these days.

East_Coast said:
I'm still in the planning stages of vanlife, focused on the northeast- which is a place that isn't great for boondocking.... 
I think stealth parking will be the thing that wears me down and makes me want to quit vanlife... constantly fearing the cops and having to sneak in and out of places... even if someday down the line I don't want to rent a parking spot anymore, it could be like training wheels for vanlife! 

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Does anyone here do this?[/font]

This is my exact problem. At one point I hypothesized that maybe I could find a gray area parking space for rent that doesn't specifically talk about overnight or reference living in obviously, but maybe just a space in a industrial area that one could mostly stealth at night. But I've yet to really come across any good leads that I feel are both safe and could stealth.

Like here I search https://newjersey.craigslist.org/d/parking-storage/search/prk  and try to find a industrial space for rent that would mostly solve the need to go crazy every night trying to find where to park from 11pm-7am and try to avoid idealistic cops looking to just annoy people parked anywhere. There's also private ads but I'm concerned about safety or questions on why I'm asking to rent something with a van etc.

I don't have a residential "driveway" available. I do have land along the VA/WV border which we could discuss you parking on. There's a nearby newly built fireplace. Are you any good with a hammer and building sheds? I'd like to have a shed on my place, and can furnish the lumber and tools expenses. You could keep the 200$ and put it towards worthwhile expenses, such as a small Harbor Freight generator. Just ideas. We could figure out a where do I put the grey water stuff, and there's a shallow well which would work for wash water, maybe drinking water in a pinch. (The well is pretty clean.) Hell I'd even grubstake you if you want to help me build a fenced area for some pigs and share the meat. We'd have to draw up some agreement regarding use of the land maybe rent it for 50$ a month on paper which would likely go back to you one way or another. Just as you need to be careful as a vandweller, I need to be careful as a land owner. I respect the movement and am not looking to take advantage of anyone, I just don't want to get screwed over either. How do you support yourself? I mean, even with minimalist living, life costs. Like I said, someone willing to build some shed storage would go a long ways too.

boondockerswelcome.com has alot of 'driveways' and 'side land' for personal use or parking lots if a biz etc.
Many people post 'stop for the night' for free.
I don't post my location for this at all but I would not charge for another like me who needs overnight and a smile ya know........not saying it isn't smart to charge if ya can LOL but I am in a different status now on my personal life and I have land, just never listed 'hey come here' cause hell I am gone alot of the time.
HarvestHosts is another good site.

thing is you are 'thinking this will wear you down' but we are rv'ers and we find spots for a big azz toyhauler we pull and have no trouble at all.

ask ANY convenience/gas station store if you can 'sleep for the night' and be gone early. Most if they have the room say yea easily.

Cracker Barrel, Cabelias, Bass Pro and a ton more are all options as we know.

any rest stop. all are free and let you stop and relax and chill and sleep and overnight is fine

truck stops are a biggie we use. we like them and are not noise worried ever

Thing is it depends on you and how you are traveling in that destination travel and wanna stay for a few weeks or a few months means different planning vs. 'on the road' and need a place to stop.

So how you hit the road makes big diff on how you use the life options out there kinda.

I have boondocking friends who come by my place (when we are there) from time to time in the summer. Some stay a few days and some much longer. It’s all fine.

It’s nice to get a visit. Nobody has ever done anything obnoxious at all.

I have plenty of spots to choose from. Friendly animals can roam in the daytime. Gotta be put up at night as it’s not safe.

I was watching a youtube video this afternoon where someone said in September that overnight parking in all Kroger lots has been banned because of people trashing the parking lot. It made me think, what if people who are living in their vehicles for a certain amount of time (let's say maybe for at least 6 months or two years) could join a "club" of like minded clean and neat rv/suv dwellers and thus qualify for a certificate and/or a sticker for their dwelling mobile as a member of the good people who do not trash property nor make a lot of noise and such. That badge of respectibility might soon be recognized as setting the trustworthy apart from the bad actors. Which, in turn, might make it a more amicable world for conscientious rv/van/suv dwellers needing overnight parking. The stickers & certificates would have an identifying number and a website or phone number of the acting monitor for the club. So any property owner with a complaint about an overnighter could report a trashy or loud incident, which would get the culprit banned from the club. Stickers would only be good for 4 months at a time and only renewable for those in good standing. Duties of acting monitor could rotate amongst the members so as to not over-burden anybody. Just a thought. Of course, adjustable idea.