Who here rents a driveway for nightly use?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

East_Coast

Reaction score
I'm still in the planning stages of vanlife, focused on the northeast- which is a place that isn't great for boondocking. 

I was thinking that parking garages or parking lots might be an option for my vehicle, but both of those require a high degree of stealth. 

What would maybe be a much easier option is to find a person who could use an extra $200/mo cash in hand, and rent their parking space or on-street parking in front of their house, if they don't have nosy neighbors. Maybe find someone who lives in an apartment complex and have them get me a parking decal for their lot. I'd also want to register my address as theirs, while having all my mail sent to a P.O. box. 

I'm thinking I could look at ads people posted for subletting their home. I'm a much better option than a roommate! No blowing up the bathroom, leaving dirty socks around etc. They'll barely know I'm there. I know there are some websites specifically for this purpose, too. 

I think stealth parking will be the thing that wears me down and makes me want to quit vanlife... constantly fearing the cops and having to sneak in and out of places... even if someday down the line I don't want to rent a parking spot anymore, it could be like training wheels for vanlife! 

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Does anyone here do this?[/font]

Hello there I can give you part of what you asked for. You asked for somebody who would like to have an extra $200 a month in his hand and that’s me. Of Course I don’t have a driveway or any property to share. all I have is this wonderful home on wheels. But just in case you need somebody to give that $200 to I want you to know I’m available.:)

If you could find something like that you'd want to make sure you had an electrical hookup so you could power a heater. And that makes it more difficult.

A friend of mine checked Craigslist and found a yard to park a trailer. It's in Florida,so no extreme cold weather to deal with.

My son did during his college years. Many college kids go together to rent apartments near campus and found themselves needing money. He paid $50 a month for an assigned covered parking spot with an electrical outlet ( heater plug for diesel cars ) that worked well for him along with an 8 AM gym class for personal hygiene.

If you are in the Northeast you might think about using the barter system as well as the extra cash angle.  If it is a private residence, lawn care, raking leaves, shoveling snow in exchange for a place to park might work out well for some elderly people.  

I moved to Florida as a teenager in a 12 year old custom van and would get moved by the police sometime between 2 - 4 AM most nights.  Then I found a coworker who was staying in small home eldercare facility as a "in case of emergency" person and I started parking in the driveway and catching a shower before the day workers arrived.  

In many areas $200 a month could get you a storage unit that the van could fit in.  Mmm.  

Another option if you are just looking for a place to park for 8 hours would be to get chummy with the security guard at a private business that would let you park during his/her shift for compensation.  

A lot depends on how you and your van present yourselves.  First impressions mean a lot to the majority of people.

I have an extra barn driveway on my 10 acre rural property, but value my privacy enough, that I wouldn't want someone parking in it (200' away from the house). I would always be concerned with finding someone trustworthy, and respectful.

I can't imagine having someone hanging out ion a lawn chair, or cooking breakfast in my driveway.

i sorta live for this. I have people come camp and such a lot. Of course my kids come and they take precedence. I’ve had neighbor kids, my canoe camping friends, Boondockers welcome guests... I enjoy seeing people enjoying a fire, and being outside here. I’m probably going to be unavailable in the winter. But in the summer months may thru September or October I’m here a lot...
but I can see what this poster is saying. It depends on boundary’s and such... I’m sure everyone can work something out here. But I just would get uncomfortable when people might come and take over or do things we agreed would not happen.
Haha

Hello All,
Have you considered truck stops? Ive used Loves many times without issues. Some nights I slept there for 8 plus hours. It would also offer gas, showers, restrooms, fast food, etc.
Places I overnight while traveling from state to state: Truck stops (Loves is best in my opinion), Interstate rest areas, Home depot (only twice with no issues) and park-n-ride lots. I have never had an issue with any of these. The key, I think, is to move daily, Dont stay at any one place 2 nights in a row.
Good Luck
God Bless

I have use truck stops also with no issues, as well as Walmarts and Cracker Barrels (only staying 1 night each place).

The biggest hassle is when traveling and not having local knowledge. Just getting to know the locals and what is acceptable to them determines how hard it is to stay on their property. Many will let you stay or tell you where you can park usually free if they know you are the type that won’t damage or abuse things.

nature lover said:
Hello there I can give you part of what you asked for. You asked for somebody who would like to have an extra $200 a month in his hand and that’s me. Of Course I don’t have a driveway or any property to share.  all I have is this wonderful home on wheels. But just in case you need somebody to give that $200 to I want you to know I’m available.:)
:D  That's half my problem solved lol

slow2day said:
If you could find something like that you'd want to make sure you had an electrical hookup so you could power a heater. And that makes it more difficult.

A friend of mine checked Craigslist and found a yard to park a trailer. It's in Florida,so no extreme cold weather to deal with.
I was planning on getting a Jackery that I charge while at work. Then I can plug a 12v electric blanket into it. I think warming my body is a better plan than warming all the air in the vehicle.

Volunteer to help the community you wish to stay in maybe at a local food bank or church or with a local civic group mention you could use a place to park with a plug in, offer to be on site if anyone came around after hours. You will be surprised how willing people are to help you if they know you will do the same!

east coast is a mighty big place. narrowing down the geography might be helpful in finding someone.

an alternative to this would be a church. unless the pastors in your area are insular, one pastor usually knows a few outside of their denomination, in addition to their own. if you rotated between two or 3 in a week, and were gone before the preschool or whatever morning activities opened, and offered to help with grounds maintenance, help with the food bank, or to contribute to the weekly collection plate, they might go for it.

I always thought that parking at a city residential building site would be welcomed by the builder. It would work out as deterrent for crime. Power would be available, I thought you might even be able to charge for the service. Leave as soon as the workers started arriving in the morning park up in the evening plug in. Keep an eye on the site, maybe a walk around before bed. I have used people’s driveways, I do use a wooded area at the back of someone’s property most summers close to work. I also use a vacant lot next to a relatives house on occasion. I like a spot near a group of appartment blocks with no street lights that I use regularly when I have business in that area.

When I was younger in the 90s I lived in college hippy towns. Some of my friends had 3-4 bedroom houses with 5-? people living there. Sometime I would chip in for rent and sleep in the driveway. A good number of people did this, most party houses had a couple of vans around the place.
It was great I could go to sleep when ever I wanted while the rest of the house was up until everyone left for the night.

A couple of factors that made it possible was tolerant neighborhoods, young people, “hippies” and a population that is cultured and well traveled.