Which van is best to live in?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SunNi

Reaction score
This question probably gets asked so often, sorry! ::(

I don't need anything big, just something I can fit a bed and the neccessities into. I just want something that's going to be reliable, cheap to run and repair, good for doing a fair amount of travelling, etc. I don't really have a price range, but I'm willing to pay a larger amount for a better van if it will save me money in the long run on repairs or fuel etc!
I know absolutely nothing about vans or cars, so please excuse me if I'm not using the right terminology. 
I don't know what the future will bring, but I will likely be on very low income. I do have savings, though. 

Any help and advice would be so appreciated! Thank you :D

Alas, the question you are asking is not possible to answer. it all depends. :)

There is no “perfect” or “ideal” vehicle. Everything will be a tradeoff between competing factors, and since that is largely a matter of personal taste and comfort level, everyone will make different decisions. And since you are the one who will be living in the van, the only factors that really matter are the ones that are best for you.

Here are the things I took into consideration when I was van-hunting:

Since I was planning on placing a solar panel on the roof, I wanted a van that did not have any cargo rack on top. And because I planned on a lot of stealth parking, I wanted a plain white van with no markings or anything that would make it stand out in a crowd–I wanted it to look like an ordinary ole work van.

In the same vein, I wanted a van that had no windows in the back compartment. I wanted no light to be able to escape from inside if I were reading an ebook or watching TV, to give no clue to anyone outside that I was back there. My van also has a steel gate across the back, right behind the seats, the windows of which I covered up with cardboard to block any light from being visible from the outside. (If your van doesn’t come with such a gate, you can install one, or you can hang up some blackout curtains or a blanket behind the seats.) While it’s not completely lightproof, it is enough to not be readily noticeable at night, especially if I am parked under a streetlight. The gate also has a closing doorway that allows me to enter and exit the cargo compartment from inside the van’s cab.

If you are a tall person or if you will be spending a lot of time inside the van, you may want to consider either getting a vehicle with the extra-high roof, or adding one on. Since I have a small stature and I’m not in the van very often (except to sleep at night), that was not a consideration for me. You may also want to think about adding a vent to the roof (or two, for better ventilation), since the inside of the van gets pretty hot during the day.

But the bottom line is this: get the best van you can with the money you have available. This is definitely not the time to cut corners.

Based on what you posted, a minivan from 2005 up like the Dodge or Chrysler with stow and go seats that all fold down into the floor. Look on YouTube, type in "Minivan camper" and you will see several posters who converted Dodge or other brands.  

Basically a minivan requires you to be a minimalist, if you need more room and can swallow the gas increase, the full sized 1/2 ton Ford, Dodge or Chevy. 

Dodge quit building full sized vans in 2003.

There's a zillion YouTube videos on van conversions. There's also lots of Dodge and Ford haters that despise the transmissions (Dodge) or spark plug issues (Ford) but that's a bit overblown IMHO. Ask your trusted mechanic what he thinks.

Welcome aboard !
That is a pretty wide open question so.....
Yes , No , Maybe ! ;) ?

What are you thinking you might be comfortable in?
Prius hatch back to a 1 ton cargo van is the typical size being used here but some have RVs too!

When you do find something you are interested in post some pictures and price and ask for opinions! We'll help guide you from there.

My first thought based on your criteria, a Ford Transit Connect (good on fuel). If that's too small, a new'ish Chrysler Town & Country with stow-a-way seats. Add a cargo rack on the back (attached to receiver hitch) for storage, etc.

I have to say, I've mulled the topic in my head over and over (I have personal commitments at the moment so can't venture out). As many people say, what you decide in the beginning may change as time goes on.

Choosing the Town & Country, if you decide later, you can tow a small light weight trailer.

Which van is best to live in is something that can only be answered by you!

BUT we can ask a bunch of questions that will hopefully  help you get your own answer.

Are you planning on full-time or part-time? Something that is bearable for a few weeks can become impossible to live with long term.

Do you want to be in larger cities or would you rather be out in the semi-wilderness. I say semi because I don't believe one can actually get to true wilderness today except on foot...pretty close but not truly where civilization has already placed their footprint!

Are you planning on boondocking most or all of the year or will you be in organized campgrounds regularly or often.

Are you planning on staying in one spot, moving seasonally with the weather or travelling frequently.

Do you have personal or medical reasons that need standing height.

What are your budget requirements not only for initial purchase and set up but also for ongoing maintenance, gas and operating expenses (campground fees etc).

That's a start on the questions... :)

SunNi said:
...I don't need anything big, just something I can fit a bed and the necessities into...
Welcome to the forums SunNi and best wishes on any future acquisition and van-project.
There are a zillion ways to do it, hope you have fun researching and discovering what works for you.

This world isn said:
...Basically a minivan requires you to be a minimalist, if you need more room and can swallow the gas increase, the full sized 1/2 ton Ford, Dodge or Chevy...
Yes on the "gas increase". My wife's daily driver is a minimalist styled, yet maxed out 1/2 ton Chevy AWD conversion and gets ~14 city and ~16 highway. Sort of hurts when the other auto in the driveway gets ~40~...

IF i was alone my first choice would be a Ford Transit regular wheelbase, regular body, medium roof. Keep everything looking stock outside and ~18" to 20" high platform for storage underneath in the back that i would toss a "Love Sack" or similar sized lounge/bed for double duty as day lounger, night bed. Keep all kitchen/bath ideas super simple with no permanent fixtures or plumbing. I'd keep it simple and all easily replaceable.

Thom

Wow, thank you so much everyone! Your responses are a massive help! I won't reply to all of the responses one by one as it would make this thread really lengthy! Anyway,I do plan on eventually living full time in the van. I'm currently looking at Ford Transit Connect, they look good! :D
Thanks again, everyone.

What do you guys think about a long wheel base vw caddy? :O

My van.

My van is the best van to live in.

SunNi said:
What do you guys think about a long wheel base vw caddy? :O

Being in the states, that didn't sound familiar; had to look it up. About the size of a ford transit connect.

Lots of minvans out there sold after the family moves on. Make sure they have the auto-transmission service records. Small trucks are also an option, and a bit more reliable. Spending time shopping private party listings is worth it and you'll know when you find the right vehicle at the right price from the right owner. You can tell a lot just on the phone.

SunNi said:
This question probably gets asked so often, sorry! ::(
I don't need anything big, just something I can fit a bed and the neccessities into. I just want something that's going to be reliable, cheap to run and repair, good for doing a fair amount of travelling, etc.
When I think of, "cheap to run and repair", I think of common vehicles with good reliability reputations. Could it be that a vehicle like this VW would be better suited as a second car, something to play with & drive on weekends?

If you go the mini-van route, I'd get a Toyota Sienna (my first choice) or a Honda Odyssey (my second choice).

Latest posts