Which Satellite TV?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akrvbob

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have pretty much decided to get Satellite TV, but I have some questions for those of you who have it on your RVs (I'm not sure your experience with it on a house will apply):<br /><ol><li>Which is best Dish or Direct TV? Or are they basically the same?</li><li>If you have one or the other, how satisfied are you and do you have any tips for me?</li><li>They give you a good deal the first year, but then the price jumps up the second. Is there any way to save money the second year?</li><li>Are you glad you have it?</li><li>Does the tripod work good, or do you think the roof mount is much better?</li></ol>But here is my <strong>BIG QUESTION</strong><br />Am I going to have trouble with a dish on a tripod in the strong and frequent desert winds?<br /><br />I think I will get some super stakes and stake the tripod out with ratchet straps, will that keep if from flying away in the wind? Will the vibration in the wind make it loose the satellite? <br />Bob

Had fixed mount DISH NETWORK and enjoyed it for many years. &nbsp;You threaten to cancel, they ask what it will take to keep you. Last price I had for basic basic service (localchannels only) was less than $30 monthly.&nbsp;<br /><br />

Ok, here goes Bob..<br /><br />I have used Direct tv for the last 15 years, I believe they have the most complete programming compared to Dish.<br />Dtv seems to not have as many contract disputes with program providers compared to dish.<br /><br />When it comes to equipment, in the past I used the tripod method, trying to save money. I found it very frustrating to aim the dish, you need to have the elevation close for your location, then you rotate to find the satellite, assuming the tripod is level. In my case most of the elevation is around 45 degrees, &amp; 170 degrees on the compass.. <br />A few years ago I ordered the <span style="text-decoration: underline;"><span style="color: #0000ff; text-decoration: underline;"><a href="http://www.winegard.com/mobile/crank.php"><span style="color: #0000ff; text-decoration: underline;">wineguard crank up dish</span></a> </span></span>with the elevation readout (best thing ever) with this dish I can find the satellite within 1 minute.<br /><br />This dish is for standard definition viewing (not HD)<br /><br />They also have roof mounted HD units but since I am a cheap As* I won't pay the $1700.00 for a dish,<br /><br />I also use the basic hd receiver, without recording capabilities, as it uses the least amount of watts of power.&nbsp; <br /><br />If it were me starting out I would order the the small HD reciever, with the HD dish, (dish and reciever are included in the package) get a tripod ,mount the HD dish on the tripod, use it for times when your are in one place for awhile or under trees.<br />Have the crank up for times when traveling, or staying in places for short periods of time.<br /><br />
<span id="post_message_1275670783">But here is my <strong>BIG QUESTION</strong><br />Am I going to have trouble with a dish on a tripod in the strong and frequent desert winds?<br /></span>
<br /><br />I have seen the old timers use a heavy weight (like a cement brick or sandbag)&nbsp; hanging down from the center of the tripod on a rope, it seems to do the trick in the desert when I have been there.<br /><br />Hope this helps<br /><br />Putz<br /><br />

I have looked into this before and found that you can not get local channels if your billing address does not coinside with your actual address. So if you are currently in AZ but your mailing/billing address is SD then you won't get locals. There is a company that you could get the big 4 networks from either san fran or ny for $13/month.BUt you nee to qualify to get it.<br /><br />Dish has the tailgator that auto-tunes the satellite for $350 and directv's version of the auto-tune dish is like $1500.<br /><br /><br />more dish info<br /><a href="http://www.dish.com/technology/tv-outdoors/#tailgater-product-info"><br />http://www.dish.com/technology/tv-outdoors/#tailgater-product-info</a>

If you need DVR capability on the cheap i recommend any WINDOWS 7 computer with a TV TUNER card. The application called WINDOWS MEDIA CENTER (WMC) is included and will work to control your satellite reciever.&nbsp;