Which is safer and more convenient?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 423

Reaction score
A small gasoline powered genset or a propane version like the Ryobi 900W?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-900-Watt-Propane-Powered-Inverter-Generator-RYi911LP/302703564

Things to consider:

1. Safely storing fuel while traveling.  Best methods?

2. Safety issues while operating and refueling.

3. The handling and refilling of gas cans vs. LP tanks. The LP version can use 1lb,5lb or 20lb tanks. (1lb. tanks last ~ 3 hours w/light use).

4. The hassle of always disconnecting  the LP tank or hose from the LP version after each use (recommended by manufacturer).

5. Use in cold weather. Problems with LP?

BTW: Disregard the difference in purchase price and fuel costs.

I was thinking of adding a jeep kind of carrier for jerry cans for gasoline or LP. I have an old car so I don't care how dorky it looks. I haven't checked out if I can put a hitch on my car, but if I could I would use one of those hitch carriers to store fuel and generator. I have a 99 tracer.

Hey, Netter ...
I seem to recall that some US states do not allow exterior transport of gasoline ... i.e.: jerry cans strapped to the bumpers or fenders ... it's gittin' so's a guy JUST cain't have eny fun eny more! :D

NoMadYesHappy said:
Hey, Netter ...
I seem to recall that some US states do not allow exterior transport of gasoline ... i.e.: jerry cans strapped to the bumpers or fenders ... it's gittin' so's a guy JUST cain't have eny fun eny more!  :D

Really?? Jeez! Thanks, I'll have to do more homework on that!

Number 1.  You can get gasoline from the vehicle fuel tank into a 1 gallon red plastic jug.  After use when it's time to travel again the remaining gasoline can be returned to the vehicle fuel tank.  With propane you need to turn off the tank valve and secure the tank.  

Number 2.  With gasoline you pour gasoline.  With propane you pay to exchamge for a filled tank, you do nothing with the fuel.  

Number 3.  See number 2.  You pour gasoline or pay someone else to fill your propane tank.  

Number 4.  You need to turn off the valve on the propane tank.  Actually removing hose from tank is necessary only to relocate tank and generator separately.  If you are going to use it again in a few hours you can turn off the valve and leave the hose.  

Number 5.  I hope to never see temperatures so cold that propane doesn't work.  If it is that cold outside you need to store the propane tank inside.  If it is -44 degrees inside you have a problem.

NoMadYesHappy said:
I seem to recall that some US states do not allow exterior transport of gasoline ..

That's why I carried mine in a plastic storage bin with holes for venting.

The small generator in another. Thieves (and cops) have to guess what's in there.

Trebor English said:
Number 1.  You can get gasoline from the vehicle fuel tank into a 1 gallon red plastic jug.  After use when it's time to travel again the remaining gasoline can be returned to the vehicle fuel tank.  

1gall. isn't much if you're boondocking. I carry a 2gall. and 1gall. plus fill the gen. tank.

Trebor English said:

Number 4.  You need to turn off the valve on the propane tank.  Actually removing hose from tank is necessary only to relocate tank and generator separately.  If you are going to use it again in a few hours you can turn off the valve and leave the hose.  

They recommend disconnecting at the gen fitting after each use. Obviously not needed if you will be using it a little later but maybe advisable if it isn't used again until the next day.

Trebor English said:
Number 5.  I hope to never see temperatures so cold that propane doesn't work.  If it is that cold outside you need to store the propane tank inside.  If it is -44 degrees inside you have a problem.

Good points. Do you run a propane generator?

propane has less energy per unit then gasoline. so at higher elevations your power output really takes a hit. I never hear that it is illegal in some areas to carry gas on the outside of your vehicle. where do they want you to carry it, on the inside? anybody have a link for these laws? highdesertranger

Trebor English said:
...You can get gasoline from the vehicle fuel tank into a 1 gallon red plastic jug.  

Oops. Didn't catch what you meant at first.

Haven't tried on my present van but my old van had something in the fuel filler tube that prevented getting a siphon hose down to the tank. YMMV

Doing that would work well though.

highdesertranger ...

RE external gas cans ... THAT is an EXCELLENT question!

After about 20 minutes of googling, I found nothing official. I did find a number of rather heated debates on the topic ... Jeep forums mostly ... and other discussions surrounding color, material (steel, aluminum, plastic), ventilation, CARB laws, can size ... oy! Not one official peep that said "you can't carry them outside."

My recollection comes from sometime back in the 70s ... my folks had a '65 Jeep. I remember my dad getting irritated that California made it illegal to carry gas cans outside the vehicle. But, I'll be dipped if I can find that in print on anything with a .gov at the end of the URL.

In the end, it does seem a bit on the risky side to carry something with as much energy per ounce as gas on the outside of a vehicle ... maybe I just worry too much? LOL!

Good catch! :)

slow2day said:
They recommend disconnecting at the gen fitting after each use. Obviously not needed if you will be using it a little later but maybe advisable if it isn't used again until the next day.

While the propane powered generator is not running you want propane not to leak.  If you turn off the tank valve and the tank valve leaks having the hose connected gives a second line of defense.  How does disconnecting the hose help?  The failure of the tank valve is highly unlikely.  A leaky tank valve is such a remote possibility that people generally don't carry a plug that screws into the tank fitting.  I have one.  It has a little o ring to seal.  I have never needed it.  If the tank valve leaked and I didn't have a plug I would attach any appliance.  

My second to last choice to plug a leak is to screw in the adapter to refill disposable 1 pound cans and then attach a one pound can.  By not turning it upside down no liquid propane will transfer to the one pound can.  

My last choice is to just leave the leaking tank open and move it away from people with cigarettes.  

New DOT approved portable tanks with OPD, overfill protection device, also have a feature where not having an appliance connected is supposed to keep the valve closed.  Since the Department has blessed these valves they can't possibly fail so this entire post is moot.  We shouldn't ever worry about a Department approved valve ever failing.    

^
OK, I looked at the manual again and the recommendation applies to when you are using 1lb.tanks and not with a hose to a larger tank. So that's good.

I kinda like the flexibility of being able to use the different sized tanks. You could grab the 25lb. gen. and a 1lb. tank and hit the road for a small job or whatever.

Trebor English said:
If it is that cold outside you need to store the propane tank inside.  If it is -44 degrees inside you have a problem.

Brings back memories of living in northern BC. We had a big outdoor propane tank that had to be wrapped in heat tape and insulation to keep it from freezing up in the winter.

Over the past couple months there were a lot of generators going around here in the LTVA. The gas Honda units had the least noise and the happiest owners. The reliability of this brand and the light weight is hard to beat. 

It would be interesting to see what the end result of this thread will be. 

Thank you for this question.  :D

So why pick one or the other? There are dual fuel generators.

The dual fuel generators are only 2000 watts or higher, possibly overkill for his use?

Gasoline is way more efficient and dangerous you must take every precaution when handling. When you lower your consumption of these hazardous materials it all gets a lot easier and safer.

My answer to the OP question. Propane is a lot safer than gasoline. It is more convenient than handling gasoline.

RVTravel said:
....possibly overkill for his use?

Exactly. Weight,noise,cost is greater. I'll be a solar newbie and will be experimenting with usage needs and would be ready to add panels instead of gen. output. Don't know yet how much I'll be using shore power either.

Any gas genny can be converted to propane or dual.

Some more easily than others, ideal is buying one with a specific snorkel-type kit explicitly available.