Which Foam Mattress to buy?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tomcor said:
I will try them not glued like you suggest. How do you keep them together, fitted sheet or cover?
if the sheets/etc do not work you may want to try something i use daily in my home before you try glue....
i use a no slip [ foam/with little holes in it] shelf liner for a lot of things it  even keeps glass from sliding around on glass,  i put a small round piece under a bowl of chili sitting in a pie plate then crackers, chips onions etc. in the plate, i do it so i don't drop things trying to get set down with my dinner  intact.......if it keeps glass on glass from slipping around maybe it will work on foam???  the best deal i've seen on it is $1 @ dollar tree stores....it might be worth a shot for 2 rolls  to try it if not you may find other uses for it.   this just an idea i had while reading the posts..good luck         TJB

on foam use...

One thing my wife and I had to do last winter is flip our 4" cotton futon to the top and put the 3" gel topper on the bottom... the gel topper basically turns into a near-frozen slab a few inches away from a body part if interior temps drop below ~40F. We don't bother with heat inside the van at night so sleeping on the cotton rather than foam was the ticket for cozy sleep in winter.

: ) Thom

My wife and I are not full-timers, but take extended trips in our van-camper (Promaster cargo van). Our bed extends across the back of the van and is a standard "double" bed ~53" wide. We use a combination air mattress and memory foam. The air mattress can be inflated to the desired firmness and the 3" memory foam pad provides insulation. We sleep very comfortably. A good night's sleep is not an option for us but a requirement.

One thing my wife and I found with air mattress use when incorporated into two different builds, my share below may be mute since it may appear from your OP that it is just you primarily on the bed (though you did mention a dog) ;

First use was one of those queen size air mattresses easily found at most big-box stores and corner outdoor-goods locations. While the general comfort was there we did not like the idea of the mattress moving when one would get in/out of bed.

Fast forward to the second use of air mattress... as mentioned the ~full size bed~ is now divided into two comfortable single mattresses and there is no movement detected when one gets in/out of the bed.

All that said? You can also purchase an amazing ~30" x 78" mattress from REI (and other locations) that is insulated and works great for a single.

I know you mentioned folding futon, maybe it will be a day-bed sort of thing? Anyway, just sharing the van-build-luv.
Best wishes on the project.
Thom

Gofar said:
My wife and I are not full-timers, but take extended trips in our van-camper (Promaster cargo van). Our bed extends across the back of the van and is a standard "double" bed ~53" wide. We use a combination air mattress and memory foam. The air mattress can be inflated to the desired firmness and the 3" memory foam pad provides insulation. We sleep very comfortably. A good night's sleep is not an option for us but a requirement.

Hey Gofar, what you're doing is exactly how a "Sleep-Number" bed works - an air mattress on the bottom, inflated to your liking, with memory foam on top. Slick!

Tomcor said:
Bed in van

I know this is an old thread, but a great one.

Tomcor, it looks like you cut the foam in two.  Are you using the narrower section as a seat back?  If so hows it working out?  

I'm in the process of working on something similar. I'm going for the Lux-HQ 54x75 by either 5 or 6 inchs thick and will cut the seat bottom to 30 inches, and the back to 18 inches.  The back will be able to do double duty as a bed extension if needed.

Anyone using Lux-HQ.  How much does it compress when sitting on it? I'm estimating that the 6 inch will compress to about 4 if I sit on it.  I'm 155 lbs.  Does that sound about right?