Which Chevy Engine 4.8 or 6.0

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

udor46

Reaction score
Hello Chevy Fans, 

I am looking at two Pleasure-Way Van models with a Chevy Chasis. 
The 'Basis' model comes with a 4.8L V8 and the Lexor with a 6.0L engine.
Maybe there are some user experts who can shed some light on the topics, fuel efficiency, repairs, mountain drive etc.
Thanks for the feed back. :idea:

I don't have any experience with the 4.8 but I have owned several camper vans and the one I have now has the 6.0 and weighs almost 10000 lbs fully loaded. Its gets the best mileage of all of them and has the most power. It handles the mountains with no problems. I LOVE IT.

If they weigh the same and have the same tires the mpg will be very close, the big engine will be better at towing, going up hills, passing, and be better at high attitudes like in say Colorado.

if price is the same or close i vote 6.0

Always go with the biggest engine for a heavy, long term commercial vehicle. Mpg difference will be negligible compared to the benefits of power, driving and long term durability. Engine works easier being stronger. The 6.0 is a very well respected engine.

Minivanmotoman said:
Always go with the biggest engine for a heavy, long term commercial vehicle. Mpg difference will be negligible compared to the benefits of power, driving and long term durability. Engine works easier being stronger. The 6.0 is a very well respected engine.

I'm finding that the 4.8L works fine. There's some slow down on the steepest hills but but generally more power than I expected. I expect it to last as long as the 6.0L. Expediters get 300K or more off that engine. 

As to which I would choose if I had the choice that's a toughie. A bit less MPG vs more power...Some of the 6.0 L's on Fuelly get terrible mileage but others do pretty good.

I have the 6.0 in my GMC Savana. I've talked to people with both motors and the gas mileage is close between the two. I opted to go with the 6.0 so I have the spare power to tow should I want to and not work the engine as hard. I average in the 14 to 16 mpg range depending on the mix of highway/city driving.

vtwinkicker said:
I have the 6.0 in my GMC Savana. I've talked to people with both motors and the gas mileage is close between the two. I opted to go with the 6.0 so I have the spare power to tow should I want to and not work the engine as hard. I average in the 14 to 16 mpg range depending on the mix of highway/city driving.

With the 4.8 I average about 15 overall.

Different tires will effect gas mileage more than the engine, cheap under inflated tires can lower your mileage 10%, big offroad tires will totally kill your MPG

My tundra with a 395 hp 5.7,has a fuel computer, if i drive it hard it gets 16mpg, if i take off slow and let up early coming up to stop sign and red lights i can get 18.5 mpg.

I work at a Chevrolet dealer. We sell a lot of pickups. Those guys complain of poor mileage. Most of them have 4.11 rear gears. Check the final gear ratio before you buy.

ratfink56 said:
I work at a Chevrolet dealer. We sell a lot of pickups. Those guys complain of poor mileage. Most of them have 4.11 rear gears. Check the final gear ratio before you buy.

The truck in the Ads have a 3.42

If you spec a new truck you really have to consider that, i think a stock Chevy is a 3.42, (from when i shopped last) if you tick off the tow package you get that crazy 4.11 gear or higher

When i bought my tundra new i got the sport package because it came with the highest gear

going off memory, Toyota ( trans has different ratio than chevy)
Sport  3.80
stock  4.11
tow    4.30

The smaller motor will have to work harder. A bigger motor will last longer.

Besides, nobody gets a V8 for the milage.

Latest posts