Advice on a 2001 Express 1500 4.3L V6 with 50K miles for $7K?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

incomsarable

Reaction score
I just test drove it. I'd get it inspected before purchase. It's been on the lot for 7 weeks so it can't be that great of a deal right? The price seems high and I'd try to negotiate down, but the miles are so much lower than everything else I'm seeing.

It was purchased by a dealer in a fleet sale. I'm guessing it was a police transport vehicle? It has a yellow spinning light on top and a handheld radio wired in with a list of dispatchers taped next to it. 

So... Thoughts running through my head   :huh:

Would the low odometer really save me that much in repair costs down the road compared to something with 100K - 125K miles? Especially if the high mileage vehicle was from, say, 2002-2006. Because....

Didn't Chevy modernize these types of engines in 2002? This is a 2001 V6. Would waiting for the ideal of a 2002+ 5.3 V8 really be that much more fuel efficient and/or powerful? 

I'm on flat land for now and the pickup was nice when I test drove. But I spent 7 years in Appalachia before this and want to revisit. I remember how frustrating inadequate acceleration can be on a highway going up a mountain. My plan is for a lightweight build, with an open feel and decent floor space, but who knows how heavy the project will end up once I start actually building.

Any input would be greatly appreciated  :heart:

i'm always very suspicious of mileage that low. heck, that's less than 3000 miles a year!
a fellow on another forum that has a distributor going out often, thinks the recurring issue
is why his had so few miles...good luck!
jim

Could be a good deal but maybe not right for you.
Could have spent long periods idling vs traveling?
Check price in blue book, Edmonds etc. Fair rather than Good condition

This is a light frame, 1/2 ton, and smaller 6 vs 8 engine. The 4.3 maybe a good engine, may or may not be good on mountains, lots of hills and/or with a heavy load.

My biggest concern is the 1/2 ton. Takes very little to overload this with full time van living stuff. Tough on frame, shocks. Can be scary, dangerous on brakes. Tires may not be available to safely, properly handle the weight you will carry.

Are half ton cargo vans really that flimsy? I know that people full time in minivans like Toyota Siennas and Astros. Are those better suited because passenger vans are made to carry people therefore a heavier load? Or are minivan builds pushing the limits?

I don't plan to be full time, not all year round anyway. I'll be staying with friends who have property and also trying Workaway to get to know people in new areas I want to explore. The build will be mostly a bed and a good desk set up to work remotely. Honestly a full size cargo van seemed a little too large once I was inside it visualizing, but I'm leaning toward going bigger just in case I do end up living in it for longer periods and also for the extra headroom.

If you can live out of a backpack and use the van as a steel tent with maybe a cot, one house battery with 100AH battery and solar, 5 gallons of water and a 5 gallon bucket toilet you will do fine on pavement in an urban environment with a 1/2 ton van. If you have more or go down a lot of dirt roads to BLM areas on a regular basis you will wish you had a better suited vehicle. Most people with front wheel drive minivans don't have enough room for them to live in if they overload it and mainly are urban dwellers so no water, no kitchen, no solar. Basically a sleeping compartment again with so little storage they are living out of a duffle bag. It is after all up to you and your desires. Almost any van without a high top and with a bed in it limits the space and will cause you problems standing and you will be stepping outside or on your knees a lot.