Went to test drive 88 dodge b250 but..... Any advice?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lisamac

Reaction score
So I drove two hours to check out an 88 dodge van high top

The good........81k  (supposedly but numbers on odometer don't line up horizontally so wonder I'd those are truly orig. miles)
Turns out to be handicap conversion (Fiesta  Van Plus ?), long wheelbase, two batteries with power inventor, 110 plugs throughout, fresh water and electric hookups (don't know if work ), toilet in rear, dual  couches, on each side, that fold down to bed. Don't see any  roof leaks. Started right up. Oil and trans fluid looked smelled good. 

The bad....don't know if milage is orig. or really 181k...front brake was seized up so unable to test drive (they didn't know this till right before I got there :mad: ). Not sure how operable everything is. Definitely needs tires before able to drive dry rot.... owners are having brake fixed have emailed that they have someone coming out Monday to fix....   :s

not sure it would be worth another two hour trip and gas money to go again especially not knowing if there may be other problems until test drive.

am SO ready to get on the road but want something safe/ dependable for solo travel. The owners are older and seem unaware of any issues van ht have so asking them doesn't help much.

fyi...typical older plain conversion vans run about 3 to 4k $ around here. 

any thoughts or advice?

Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_20170519_214643.JPG
    IMG_20170519_214643.JPG
    253.9 KB · Views: 18
  • 0518171710a.jpg
    0518171710a.jpg
    751.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 00z0z_hjoy0HFd7H0_600x450.jpg
    00z0z_hjoy0HFd7H0_600x450.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 28
lisamac said:
So I drove two hours to check out an 88 dodge van high top

The good........81k  (supposedly but numbers on odometer don't line up horizontally so wonder I'd those are truly orig. miles)
<-------->

any thoughts or advice?

The numbers on the odometer not lining up is usually a sign that somebody has tampered with them. Not good.
Did they know you were making a two hour drive ahead of time and it still wasn't ready to be driven?
I know you're anxious to get going, but my gut feeling is telling me you should pass. The only way they could make it up to me at this point would be for them to fix everything and drive the two hours to you. Then maybe.

Older couple, not talking ~~~   :dodgy:

Tires $500
Front end work.  $50 to 500.
Repairs on all the non factory aftermarker equipment  ???
These are definate immediate costs.  No records, so here is a list of things I had to do to my 91.

Cost of labor $60 to $120 an hour
Shocks $150+
Complete brake job  (You know it will only be fixed enough to get off the farm) $200 to $500 depending on how many needed parts.
Stearing box $200 +
AT.  30 years ~~~ $1500 to $3000
Hoses belts and filters  $200
Replace batteries $200
Troubleshooting little things not working $250
Misc pieces on motor. $200 to $600
Computer, $120 +++

So it could run $7K to get into shape.

These costs are there with any used vehicle of this vintage. 

Then there are things to make life on the road liveable.

Fan  $200+
Solar $750 +++

I like Dodges, and can do my own work.  I replaced a lot more parts on mine, just because I did not have a labor expense.  Depending on the original cost, and a detailed inspection of the underside, I might buy that.  (Not in the market at this time)  I like the superficial looks. But driving 2 hours and finding it is not driveable ??? 2 1/2 strikes out the gate.

what GS says, plus you have to remove H C stuff, look up info on how to remove, then ask yourself is it worth the hassle?

Thank you both! The money breakdown (and all the separate things to consider) are extremely helpful. I don't want to bite off more than I cn chew. I'm really wanting to get started but don't want to make a bad decision out of my impatience.

gsfish said:
What is the price? The fact that it wasn't driveable doesn't instill confidence. Maybe they could make the drive to you next time.

"want something safe/ dependable for solo travel" This van is almost 30YO, do you have mechanical skills and tools?

Guy

They orig. asking 4k. I was messaging their  who was posting it for them...i got them down to 25. But that was assuming I would have been able to test drive  :dodgy: neither one of them seemed in physical shape to come to me once brake fixed. I drug my own folks there for the drive over hoping i was gonna drive it home  but, you know what they say about assuming....lesson learned.   :(

I have basic skills....have done my own oil changes, thermostat replacement, valve cover gasket , etc but sure don't feel confident enough to swap out too many major parts. was hoping to gave a local mechanic to get whatever I end up with road  and fix any problems that come up on the road as I go along.

Ballenxj said:
The numbers on the odometer not lining up is usually a sign that somebody has tampered with them. Not good.
Did they know you were making a two hour drive ahead of time and it still wasn't ready to be driven?
I know you're anxious to get going, but my gut feeling is telling me you should pass. The only way they could make it up to me at this point would be for them to fix everything and drive the two hours to you. Then maybe.

Thanks for the gut feeling. I'm leaning toward the same conclusion as you.....but have also been guilty of over thinking things many times so i dont want to miss out on a good deal. so I'm at those crossroads?

They knew it was a two hour drive for me, but they said they had ran it to nearest car wash since it had been sitting for a while and wanted it to look clean. That's when they found they found out the brake was stuck. I still don't understand why they hadn't done that before posting???? Guess that would have made too much sense ?

I don't think them driving over to me will be an option. Would be nice if they did though.

Thanks so much for your feedback.

lisamac said:
They orig. asking 4k. I was messaging their son who was posting it for them...i got them down to 25. But that was assuming I would have been able to test drive  :dodgy: neither one of them seemed in physical shape to come to me once brake fixed. I took my own folks there for the drive over hoping i was gonna drive it home  but, you know what they say about assuming....lesson learned.   :(

I have basic skills....have done my own oil changes, thermostat replacement, valve cover gasket , etc but sure don't feel confident enough to swap out too many major parts. was hoping to gave a local mechanic to get whatever I end up with road worthy and fix any problems that come up on the road as I go along. granted, I'm obviously on a limited budget

I'll go on a limb and say go look again, after they tell you that the brakes are done, and ask them specifically what was done and how much.  Just take someone who can give a compression test on some of the easier to get to cylinders, and who has knowledge of vehicles, especially the front end.

You can look at/for rust and body damage. You can take a small magnet and check the body panels for bondo. You can start it and run the heater, the air conditioning, listen to the motor, see if the belts are in good shape and dont squeal, can determine if the tranny is slipping, check all the lights, horn etc.  Any RV appliances to check?  You can do that.   :-/

That is the 2nd generation of the B van, the motor should be fuel injected. What engine? Likely a 318 or 360, both good, relatively poor gas mileage. Tons of parts in junkyards.

I know the odometer may be wrong but its 30 years old... if you like the body and style and room and condition of the interior RV appliances, I wouldn't really care about the odometer. I mean if you can get something clean that runs with no rust and room for 2 to 2.5k, why not?

Its got pink seats. BUY IT! :blush:

High top, nice bed layout, toilet. Body looks good. Overall (from the pics posted) it looks great.
 Any purchase is going to have its faults. A cargo van will need a full interior. A conversion will need the seats ripped out and a bed installed.  I like this van. Almost all the interior is move-in ready!

Wheres the kitchen?

If it checkes out, the price is right for what it is.  Like I said, everything will need repairs to get ready for a journey.

Thank you all for the feedback. I'm still on the fence about it. There are so many pros and cons both. I'm researching for a local place there to put tires on i go back and end up buying it. The ones on it are really dry rotted so I wouldn't trust those to make the 2+ hour drive back.

I'm just having a really hard time with this decision.  :s

lisamac said:
I'm researching for a local place there to put tires on i go back and end up buying it. The ones on it are really dry rotted so I wouldn't trust those to make the 2+ hour drive back.

That would be a smart move. I usually end up putting new tires on just about every used vehicle I buy. If you do buy the tires near them, try to buy from a national store so you have some recourse when you are two hours away and something goes wrong.
Also, I recommend everybody that travels have some sort of road insurance. I chose AAA, but there are others too.

Ballenxj said:
That would be a smart move. I usually end up putting new tires on just about every used vehicle I buy. If you do buy the tires near them, try to buy from a national store so you have some recourse when you are two hours away and something goes wrong.
Also, I recommend everybody that travels have some sort of road insurance. I chose AAA, but there are others too.

Very good point about using a national store. Thank you!