Where does one park in a small town? (like whtfish mt)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lc94fsh

Reaction score
We are staying in Whitefish tonight. I'm sure this has been repeated a bunch so if you could kindly point me towards a good thread that might have my answer that'd be sweeet.

Just need a place to park over night without getting bugged by cops, was thinking a hotel because they wouldn't know the difference any better ideas?

I've asked at different police stations, a number of times, and been allowed to stay in their parking lot.

But Allstays says you can overnight, for free, at Whitefish Mountain Ski Resort. 3889 Big Mountain Road, Whitefish

cyndi said:
I've asked at different police stations, a number of times, and been allowed to stay in their parking lot.

Police stations are the best places to inquire at. They'll know the safest places to park, and point you to where they want you...so they don't hafta mess with you.

You can become a member of the Moose Lodge ($70 a year) and you can overnight at any Lodge across the country. I stayed at the WhiteFish Moose Lodge for 3 weeks last year when I was up there visiting Glacier. They even have RV hookups. Worth asking even if you are not a member.

The train depot is a bit busy. I suspect you have a greater chance of being bugged there than anywhere else in the city.

There is the public beach not far away from the train depot. Easy parking there.

There is also a Walmart in Kelispell

Van-Tramp said:
You can become a member of the Moose Lodge ($70 a year) and you can overnight at any Lodge across the country. I stayed at the WhiteFish Moose Lodge for 3 weeks last year when I was up there visiting Glacier. They even have RV hookups. Worth asking even if you are not a member.

The train depot is a bit busy. I suspect you have a greater chance of being bugged there than anywhere else in the city.

There is the public beach not far away from the train depot. Easy parking there.

There is also a Walmart in Kelispell

The moose lodge huh? Are they pretty common? That sounds like a very sweet idea, is it just RV parking or does it comes with anything else?

The lodges are private clubs... community centers, but for members only. Many offer weekly activities: BBQs, bingo, poker, karaoke, etc, and almost all that I have seen have a nice bar (or two, in the case of my home Lodge). Some have full restaurant style kitchens, others may not.

Most will allow members to overnight in their lots for no cost (local laws allowing). Since most of these lodges have been around well before the local ordinances, many are grandfathered in to still allow camping and such even though the city/county forbids it. For instance, my home Lodge allows the Boy Scouts to camp here a few times each month. ROTC camps here too.

Most do not have hookups, but about 10% do ( a little planning will get you to one when you need it). They are primitive hookups in many cases (no sewer) and usually only have a few spots with hookups, but there are rarely anyone using them.

This past year I have visited numerous Lodges. I've watched the Super Bowl in Truth & Consequences, NM (full hookups) with a huge potluck meal, stayed a few weeks just outside of Glacier National Park (full hookups), and stayed many overnights in my a-to-b travels. They are safe places with no harassment from local law. I can go in and have a beer with people that instantly welcome me as their close friends and many have treated me out to dinner (and beer) on those 1-night stays.

Just walk into your local Lodge and ask them about info. They would be happy to give you the tour and answer any questions. My biggest fear was if they were religious or not. They ask only that you "believe in a higher being", but do not dictate which "being" that is. I have yet to see any prayers in the functions either. And, NO you do not need to wear antlers in the lodge

Each lodge may be different, but generally I have donated $10 per night (or $50 per week) for hookups, and half that for no-hookups. It is also $70 per year to be a member for the Moose (I assume the Elks are about the same). There are 2500+ Moose Lodges around the country and Canada, so you always have a "home" no matter where you are. And so far, everyone has treated me just like family from the moment I walk in the door to say hello. You can read up on my Lodge experiences on my blog

And remember, it is all tax deductible too, so it comes right back into your pocket (kinda) each year.

http://www.mooseintl.org/public/default.asp - Main web page
https://secure.mooseintl.org/LodgeChapterLocator/default.aspx - find a lodge
https://secure.mooseintl.org/LodgeChapterLocator/CampRVReport.aspx?reporttype=rv - lodges with RV hookups

Cyndi has great advice here. ask the local leo's. this gives you two advantages, let's them know you have nothing to hide and that you will be sleeping in your vehicle in the area for the night. I have had leo's hold flashlights for me while I've done vehicle repairs. I have also done repairs right in front of the stations. most leo's are just regular people don't be afraid of them, talk to them. this goes for the fs and blm leo's too. highdesertranger