Where do i get passanger van windows for rear of van?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob-Goose

Reaction score
Iv been looking for rear door passenger windows that I can open, instead of the glued in place ones. Iv called every scrap yard around me and no one has them... or the passenger express vans.
i live in canada so its a bit of a pain to get that sort of thing, anyone know any ideas or sites i can look at? thanks

I'm surprised no recycle yard can find the rear door for a passenger version of your van. The guys I know have internet look up for the continent.
Have you looked for the doors rather than just the glass?

AFAIK most of the scrap yards in Canada can link to other scrap yards around the country and find out who has what in stock.

If all they did was check their own inventory then maybe you need to make friends with one of them so they'll go out of their way for you and do a search.

The other thing to try is to actually go out to the yard and look for yourself. They may not be inventorying the doors at all and so wouldn't know if they had any on hand or not.

BTW, if you're describing them as 'passenger windows' it may be part of your problem. If it's the opening windows in the Chev/GMC vans then some cargo vans came with opening windows (mostly Chev) and some did not (mostly GMC). Try referring to them differently.

At one point when I'd first bought my GMC van I thought about replacing the fixed windows with the bottom opening windows and contacted Apple Auto Glass. Extremely pricey, like $400.00 a window and they wouldn't install them for me, said I had to find a body shop to do it. BUT the replacement window kits WERE available....that was 4 years ago. Far cheaper to replace the whole door if you can find them.

One thing I have noticed. The tow yards often keep the van bodies to use as storage sheds. My friend has a van with opening rear windows in back of her yard. Someone like her may be willing to trade for other doors. Just needing any doors when used as a storage shed.

maki2 said:
did you look on Ebay?
ya that was my last resort. i as trying to buy local and just make sure i got the right ones.
Almost There said:
AFAIK most of the scrap yards in Canada can link to other scrap yards around the country and find out who has what in stock.

If all they did was check their own inventory then maybe you need to make friends with one of them so they'll go out of their way for you and do a search.

The other thing to try is to actually go out to the yard and look for yourself. They may not be inventorying the doors at all and so wouldn't know if they had any on hand or not.

BTW, if you're describing them as 'passenger windows' it may be part of your problem. If it's the opening windows in the Chev/GMC vans then some cargo vans came with opening windows (mostly Chev) and some did not (mostly GMC). Try referring to them differently.

At one point when I'd first bought my GMC van I thought about replacing the fixed windows with the bottom opening windows and contacted Apple Auto Glass. Extremely pricey, like $400.00 a window and they wouldn't install them for me, said I had to find a body shop to do it. BUT the replacement window kits WERE available....that was 4 years ago. Far cheaper to replace the whole door if you can find them.
I explained to all the scrap yards that I was looking for the rear doors, and with the windows that have the opening latches on them. how ever laws have changed here and we can no longer roam a scrap yard due to "liability reasons" other wise I would just walk in and grab what I needed. its a real pain now, and I just know they jack the prices up now cause someone has to go out and get the part. :(

Here’s a link to an outfit called Motion Windows. 

https://www.motionwindows.com/

I haven’t used this company but I have the site bookmarked for future use. I either got it from this forum or from a van build YouTube video. It may be worth looking at if you find nothing else.

Rob-Goose said:
i live in canada so its a bit of a pain to get that sort of thing, anyone know any ideas or sites i can look at? thanks

If you live near the border you can have packages delivered to a US warehouse or UPS store. Here in Montreal I use freeport forwarding. They are located just over the border in Champlain, NY and charge only $3 to hold a small package. Tires are $3 a piece. Items over 200 pounds or anything on a pallet is $10. So just about anything you want to order online and doesn't ship to Canada or the cost is exorbitant or has to be loaded with a forklift this is the way to do it.

If you are out of the country for more than 24 hours you are allowed to bring $200 worth of goods back into Canada duty free and after 48 hours the exemption is $800. What I've done is brought a friend and stayed at a campsite for two nights so I could bring back a full set of winter tires duty free I've also boondocked at the walmart in Plattsburgh it's always full of Canadians doing the same thing.

Would a auto glass or crash repair shop be able to help you or point you in a good direction?
Assume the vehicle is old enough the manufacture no longer stocks.

i called a couple, i can get the glass but i dont know where to get the hinges, latches or the rubber window seal

What is the make model and year of the vehicle? Maybe a photo of the back.

2008 chevy express van 2500 with swing doors, i can get a picture later today if you like

I will help you look around here in lower states. I know exactly what they are, if not where. :)

I looked into this when I had a van a few years ago. I'm in Canada too. I recall reading that those rear windows that open were outlawed because of exhaust fumes entering back into the vehicle. Even happens when driving due to wind turbulence behind the vehicle. Not saying it can't be done, but maybe why its so hard to find what you're after.

arpisme said:
I looked into this when I had a van a few years ago. I'm in Canada too. I recall reading that those rear windows that open were outlawed because of exhaust fumes entering back into the vehicle. Even happens when driving due to wind turbulence behind the vehicle. Not saying it can't be done, but maybe why its so hard to find what you're after.
that makes sense, it sounds like im gona have a hard time tracking these down.

Latest posts