Where can I work on my Van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree go with one type of rechargeable, so you only need one type of battery. I use dewalt 18v. also mine recharges fine on a msw invertor and a 12v recharger is available. highdesertranger

I can't find it right now but a guy on YouTube took a beat 18v dewalt battery and gutted it then attached a cut end of an extension cord to it. The other cut end of the extension cord he attached to his trucks battery. Now he can use all of his dewalt tools off of his truck battery using a heavy duty extension cord running from his dewalt to his truck battery. Positively brilliant! He hooked his sawsall to his 24v diesel truck and cut a truck frame in half with it. Man that sawsall was screaming at 24v!!! If I find the link I will post.

Bdog1 said:
You could use an inverter for 110v items.  Even if the van has to run. You probably want/need one anyhow.

There's not much you can't do with battery tools there days , especially on a van building scale.

X2 on the invertor
At least 750 watt cheapo modified sin wave would power 110 impact gun for lug nuts and such . 
Start the van before using like was stated

One Awesome Inch said:
Doing it in a rental storage unit, or similar, is an excellent idea. However I wonder if they have rules and restrictions about noise... ie skilsaws etc?

I asked some managers at these places and all of them say absolutely not , and they have cameras at every corner in these places and know whats going on.
I did most of my work at apartment parking lot but your limited what you can do , for example obviously you cant pull a engine or swap a rear end but you could maybe swap a trannee if your quick.
Minor stuff could be done at Autozones parking lot

I also use the 18v Dewalt tools, and I have the 12v car charger for them. It seems to recharge the batteries pretty much as fast as the 110v charger. I use them all the time in my business and other than replacing a couple batteries over the years, they are all still going strong. Around Christmas time they usually have special deals on batteries, and over the years I've amassed an extended run battery for each of my 6 tools, plus 2 extra. Last year at RTR I built beds in a van for a couple, using nothing but my Dewalt cordless set and a couple hand tools.

I recently bought a couple 20v lithium Dewalts for my shop as they were on sale. I have to say I really like them and the price is starting to come down. Definitely stick to one brand and voltage though as it will make your life easier.

Mobilesport said:
I asked some managers at these places and all of them say absolutely not , and they have cameras at every corner in these places and know whats going on.
I did most of my work at apartment parking lot but your limited what you can do , for example obviously you cant pull a engine or swap a rear end but you could maybe swap a trannee if your quick.
Minor stuff could be done at Autozones parking lot

Yea the franchised corporate type of storage units ala Uncle Bob's, Public Storage, StorageMart; typically will not allow it. They want apartment dweller, people moving, and suburban families. Although this may vary by location. One UBob place I had access to had a large lot and spaces between bldgs and units wired with outlets. You absolutely could pull a vehicle inside one and work on it.
Look for the small/independent type where people are running small garages, rebuilding boats, etc.

Some towns have DIY shop space you can rent. Some even supply the tools.

I'm going to be in the same situation myself soon and have been looking at just renting a garage through Craigslist. Most listings are storage only though, explicitly no workshops etc. As for tools I guess I'll be renting / borrowing from friends as needed.

if you are in the rural areas out west it is not difficult to find "shop space" to rent short term. that is if there is not a boom going on in the area, ie mine, oil field, or solar plant, etc. highdesertranger