Where Can I Find Maps Of BLM Land?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Highdesertranger Maybe the price went up? Tho I bought a $6 map within the past year....

Anm, they have been "redoing it" for like a year now at least.. I haven't noticed any change :). So from the link I gave you, click on "interactive maps" it's towards the top of the page with a white background, sort of on the center.... After that you should see a big map show up. Once the map shows up, over on the right side of the screen, look for "layers" for me it loads right up and layers is a giant list of all sorts of stuff you can add to the map. You want "surface management agency" click the little checkbox to the left of those words. Then it should start showing that layer. Hope this helps!!

With love,
Tara

yeah I feel for you, the geo communicator used to be a lot better. but within the last 5 years they have gone down hill. gov website, can you say Obama care. first they stopped doing mining claims. then they slowed down, I mean way down. but you can still get good land use info off it. if you have patience. I have noticed that it doesn't always jive with what's actually on the ground. this was their excuse for getting rid of the mining claims. I believe this is one of the noose tightening things that are referred to on another thread. don't let the average person have to much info, after all this is our public land. highdesertranger

highdesertranger, luckily the govt boundaries don't change very often! :) I imagine the recession hasn't helped the govt budgets at all.

FYI, the MVUSM (Motor Vehicle Use Map) should always be free, from every NF office. They should be sufficiently detailed to show every road you are legally allowed to wander on. Tho I'm sure there is countless govt. employees that don't realize these things :(. Governments have never been critiqued as being good communicators :)

well I will have to respectfully disagree. while they do offer a limited number of maps for free they are not very detailed. the standard nf and blm maps that they have on display at the ranger stations do not show all the roads that are open. at least not out west. like I stated before they only show roads that they want you on. another thing, all roads in a nf or on blm land are open unless otherwise stated and if they close a road it must be posted. they must also state a reason like fire danger, habitat protection, etc. out west here there are 1,000's of miles of logging roads that are not on the general maps, but they are still open to travel. highdesertranger

highdesertranger, that was once true but it is no longer true.

The Forest Service had every Forest do a Travel Management Plan and produce a map that lists EVERY road that can be driven on and exactly what vehicle can drive on it. It's called a MVUM. =Motor Vehicle Use Map.

The ATVs were destroying the Forest and when they were caught they would say Well, every road is legal unless it is posted as closed!" Or they would say, "It wasn't posted, how would I know it was closed?" So the Travel Management Plan reverses that, every road is closed unless it is listed as open on the MVUM. And if anyone claims ignorance they have no excuse because every Ranger station has free MVUMs available and you MUST get one and stay legal.Not only that, but you can download a free PDF of all the MVUMS. No more excuses!!!!!

Many people got very angry about it but I think it's great!!! Too many a**holes on ATVs destroying the Forest. They should all have their ATVs confiscated and get a huge Federal fine!!!
Bob

Latest posts