Where are you allowed to dispose of ziplocked / bagged up poop?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alana

Reaction score
I can't seem to find the answer to this.

If one is using the ziplock bagged up method, where are you allowed to dispose of the bags? Are they allowed to go in a dumpster or do you have to take them to a dump station?

Thank you!

I'm new here, but would assume a dumpster is fine. That's where diapers go, after all? Personally, I'd make it discreet so nosey bodies don't question it, like tucked inside a regular bag of trash

Alana, do a forum search on "kitty litter". You find about a bazillion threads on the topic of disposal. There are a dozen different opinions.

The dumpster at Stone Cabin on AZ 95 specifically prohibits disposing of sewage there, not clear what they include as sewage.  If you use a coffee filter to line the plastic, it is easy to dispose of the waste into a vault toilet, then dispose of the plastic part into the garbage can outside the door.  ~crofter

they are starting to discourage dumping into toilets.  this sign is on all the vault toilets at La Posa South,

039.JPG

I have noticed similar signs though out the west.

highdesertranger

Attachments

• 039.JPG
    039.JPG
    96.7 KB · Views: 94
If you look in those vault toilets, you'll usually see a horrid looking brown smear on the "back side" of the metal throne. Obviously, people bring their porta-pottis or whatever and throw the entire contents in a one shot, or shake it back and forth. Stuff flying in all directions. Ooof.

where not to dump it (because it might not be as airtight as you think other trash in the bin could puncture the baggie). If it gets damaged and odor leaks out that will be bad and it will attract flies as well. You need to be respectful of the owner of the property as well as the customers who go there.

Do not dump it in the little trash bins by the gas pumps. Those should only be used for paper towels you clean windows with.
Do not dump it into the trash bins that are just outside of the entry doors to a store.

Of course do not put it outside on the ground and drive away.

Never put a plastic bag into a vault toilet or portable toilet cabin. Those get pumped out and the plastic can destroy the impellers on the pump causing an expensive repair on the equipment. Never flush a plastic bag, it can block up the sewer system and also harm the pumps that are part of the sewer line systems.

Since it is almost Halloween you can probably sell it in a paper bag with some flammables for rich kids to pull pranks with, all the fun and none of the mess! LOL!!! Just ask a dog owner where they deposit all their bags of doggie poop when out and about! Our park has a special porta potty dump station next to the boat prep area which is a large stainless steel bowl with a rinse and drain area but again nothing but what comes out of a human body is to be put into it.

crofter said:
The dumpster at Stone Cabin on AZ 95 specifically prohibits disposing of sewage there, not clear what they include as sewage.  If you use a coffee filter to line the plastic, it is easy to dispose of the waste into a vault toilet, then dispose of the plastic part into the garbage can outside the door.  ~crofter

I don't mean to be contrary, but that's either the world's smallest (and most accurately aimed) poop or the world's hugest coffee filter.

Please don't post any pictures! I believe you! LOL!!!

There is a mental image that can't be erased. Where are the mods when you really need them?

It is easier to ask forgiveness than permission. Find a public refuse receptacle to toss it in (some place that is changed out often), and walk away, do not leave it somewhere, and don't flush bags.

Maybe it’s just me, but I am really concerned about the practice of disposing of adult human waste into areas that are not intended for adult human waste.  :(

Baggies are not only not odor free but they can and do break, which would spread human waste and its odor into dumpsters, landfills, etc., where routine garbage goes.  :huh:

Rain can carry it off, flies and other things can carry it off, let your imagination run wild.

I also understand owners of porta potties and pit toilets not wanting containers of human waste dumped into them, as these need to be pumped out and the owners have to pay for that.

In centuries past, we humans have fought widespread disease and epidemics caused by raw sewage that used to flow into the streets.  I’m not an expert on feces borne disease, but I will do a little research.

Human waste is separated out for a reason.

On edit, this from Wikipedia: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fecal–oral_route#Viruses

Whenever possible, I try to deposit solid waste one deposit at a time into a public toilet, using my black tank only for liquids which are then emptied into a dump station.

I’m not sure the best solution here, but I don’t think having the growing numbers of vehicle dwellers pooping into baggies and dropping them into garbage containers will improve the plight of vehicle dwellers that are already facing sanctions and restrictions.

WanderingRose said:
Maybe it’s just me, ....

I’m not sure the best solution here, but I don’t think having the growing numbers of vehicle dwellers pooping into baggies and dropping them into garbage containers will improve the plight of vehicle dwellers that are already facing sanctions and restrictions.
This has been brought up in regards the caravans. Imagine (or best not use your ability for visual imagery!!) 75 van dwellers living in one spot in the outback, and bringing in 400 bags of poopadoop every week and tossing them into the nearest private dumpster. Utterly disgusting commentary on your thought above in regards "improving" ... 

It's not just you. And it's only a matter of time before the owners of the dumpsters catch on. :rolleyes:

Wow - thanks for all the responses. I don't mind having to take it to a dump station. I have never been to one, is it something that has to be separated from the baggie or is there usually a place to dump it already inside a bag?

I dunno. People scoop up after their dogs take a dump and throw that baggie in regular garbage cans.  Parents toss dirty diapers in any garbage can, too.  What's the difference between those and a vandweller's load, except maybe volume?

Qxxx - As far as I know there haven't been any caravans with 75 people. More like 12 - 20.

Alana - Do not throw baggies into a dump station. They'll clog it up. The stations are mainly for dumping RV tanks or porti potties. Think liquified waste.