Where are you allowed to dispose of ziplocked / bagged up poop?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CityWoman said:
I dunno. People scoop up after their dogs take a dump and throw that baggie in regular garbage cans.  Parents toss dirty diapers in any garbage can, too.  What's the difference between those and a vandweller's load, except maybe volume?
CW, if you do forum search on "kitty litter", you'll find dozens of threads where this issue has been discussed, as well as every sort of rationalization to be had. :angel:

Qxxx said:
CW, if you do forum search on "kitty litter", you'll find dozens of threads where this issue has been discussed, as well as every sort of rationalization to be had.

Nah, thanks but I don't really need to search for that anymore. I've done lots of research on that as well as other aspects of vandwelling over the last few years. My question wasn't really a question. It was an "I'm just sayin'" kind of comment.

No doubt so. As HDR indicated 'here we go again', I was pointing out that same old arguments have been made dozens if not hundreds of times.

Yes you did at post #3, and I had to step in and try to soften the effect on poor OP of such a curt reply, who had just made her 1st post to the forum.

As the garbage lady at YARC Camp I don’t ask questions like, “What is in your trash?” I pick up everyone’s trash and take it to the dumpsters daily. I use wipeys or plastic gloves when doing the trash run. No questions asked. I have a very weak stomach and could never change a diaper even so I refuse to think about it. I don’t want to know. If a bag breaks I’ll have to call 911 cuz I won’t be cleaning up the mess.

With daily trash removal and a well policed camp (not even a cigarette butt) we are not on the radar of the rangers.

Exactly where do you think people dispose of baby diapers and have been doing so for the past, I dunno, 50 years that disposable diapers have been around?

IGBT said:
Exactly where do you think people dispose of baby diapers and have been doing so for the past, I dunno, 50 years that disposable diapers have been around?
Your answer is in post #3 above.

Damn I better get there quick before you guys get us all thrown out...

Cammalu said:
Damn I better get there quick before you guys get us all thrown out...
I've read hundreds of threads on this forum, and many people have questioned whether increasing numbers of "van" dwellers will be dealt with harsely by various authorities. I see that completely as a non-issue since there are 8M or so RVs and 40M people go camping every year. A few extra van dwellers don't even register.

On the other hand, I have to say it seems to me that the subject of this thread is the worst single issue that has not been dealt with adequately by this community. Owners of "private" dumpsters will eventually catch on and that will be a problem for the future, and they'll start taking down license numbers and calling the local sheriffs. Unless someone around here comes up with a better solution.

in California dumpster are private property of the refuse company and the person paying the bill you can get a ticket for putting anything in or taking anything out.

however after saying that the police are very hesitant about enforcement unless the property owners raise a stink(pun intended). once they bitch enough then you WILL get a ticket.

also in your bigger cities in California all trash goes to a transfer station where it is sorted by real live people. they WILL find your poop.

everyone uses diapers as an excuse, read the fine print on the diaper box.

a year or so ago someone emailed the local authorities in charge of solid waste. they said it was NOT legal to put human waste in the regular trash. the reply was posted here, a lot of people here jumped on her case for posting this information.

also please do not leave you poop in the small trash cans like are at the pumps in gas stations.

what do you think. do you want to come across someone's poop bag as part of your job.

highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
what do you think.  do you want to come across someone's poop bag as part of your job.
Not to mention 400 bags of poop in a week in a dumpster. I'd certainly bitch, and very loudly too.

Why use public toilets when travelling? (what I do to avoid the following rehandle job).
I think an acceptable and safe way to dispose of the black water stuff continues to be in a system in use, like a vault toilet, or an RV dump station both of which you will pay to access.  However you cannot include plastic bags (the sign says do not put garbage in the vault because it is difficult to remove), and you will have to dispose of plastic bags in the regular garbage stream. I recommend that the rehandle happen promptly and not later.  I do not recommend using cat holes due to leaching into the water, and have seen a popular area closed to boondock style camping due to water quality concerns which were substantiated through a water testing program by the forest service. Walmart sells superbags to use in a bucket toilet, but you are back in the rehandle of waste in a plastic bag. People with thousand dollar nature's head composting toilets also have to do this rehandle of waste, as well as those with regular porta potties and those with rv toilets hooked up to 15 gallon black tanks. Van dwellers are not the exception to having to rehandle their waste. The only exception to this seems to be baby diapers and diapers for sick people. Van dwellers have a very small impact compared to nursing homes each of which have numerous dumpsters overflowing with black water type garbage mixed with plastics. What a mess that is, yet it is accepted by the garbage hauler and landfills every day.
What I disaree with is combining grey water with the black stuff, which dumps into the vault toilet or at the dump station. From what I have read online, the use of grey water on plants is recommended, not discouraged.     ~crofter

If you have a portapotty you can always take that to a dump station and dump. At La Posa South they have a dump station for RVs and a separate station for people to dump porta potties or blue boys.

If people aren’t using them I don’t know what can. E done but I think that you are right about it eventually being a problem.