Where and what brand solar panel did you buy

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Renogy 100w kit on Thirsty.

Put 200w of a 300w Windy nation kit on friends van, may add other 100w panel to mine.

Other than size, I see little difference in quality of construction between the two.

akrvbob said:
05kas05 got it just right, very seldom does one piece of advice work for everybody in every situation. For people on a budget I recommend Renology. When bang for your buck is all important they are a great solution. Solar panels have become a commodity that you buy on price. I think their controllers are a minimal piece of equipment but they're so cheap that you don't really care. They are disposable, if it breaks you just throw it away.

On the other hand, if you have a little more to spend then I think the Kyocera is a better panel at a better price and so it's a better deal. But you are going to have to buy a high-end controller to go with it. It won't be disposable.

I just asked what I think are important questions. Each of you will have to answer them for yourselves.

Bob

Ask anybody who has been in the solar industry for a substantial time about the quality of Kyocera vs "off shore" panels. The point of my past few posts about Renogy was to show that by shopping carefully on ebay and other boards one can buy a used Kyocera 120 watt 12 volt panel for about $70.00-$80.00, so why buy an unknown off shore 100 watt panel when the real deal can be had for less?

As for warranties, I've never had a bad solar panel before (but I've always bought name brand ones) so I'm not so concerned about the warranty. I'm more concerned about the materials that went into the construction of the panels, and including silver, a precious metal, indicates that corners are not being cut. Solar companies come and go rapidly, so is your Renogy warranty really anything more than an illusion? By the time you paid to ship it back for repair, if the company still exists, you could have bought a another new one.

Maybe the Renogy panels will last more than a few years. If so, then you got your money's worth out of them. If they don't?

It's a gamble I'm not willing to take at this time. I've found from my 63 years on this planet that the cheapest products rarely turn out to be good purchases.

66788 said:
Ask anybody who has been in the solar industry for a substantial time about the quality of Kyocera vs "off shore" panels. The point of my past few posts about Renogy was to show that by shopping carefully on ebay and other boards one can buy a used Kyocera 120 watt 12 volt panel for about $70.00-$80.00, so why buy an unknown off shore 100 watt panel when the real deal can be had for less?

As for warranties, I've never had a bad solar panel before (but I've always bought name brand ones) so I'm not so concerned about the warranty. I'm more concerned about the materials that went into the construction of the panels, and including silver, a precious metal, indicates that corners are not being cut. Solar companies come and go rapidly, so is your Renogy warranty really anything more than an illusion? By the time you paid to ship it back for repair, if the company still exists, you could have bought a another new one.

Maybe the Renogy panels will last more than a few years. If so, then you got your money's worth out of them. If they don't?

It's a gamble I'm not willing to take at this time. I've found from my 63 years on this planet that the cheapest products rarely turn out to be good purchases.

I couldn't have said it better myself. I would also extend this to a charge controller, there are some quality units that can be found around $100 and to me it's well worth it to spend the money on a good unit.

66788 said:

So you really don't know anything about Renogy panels, or how they're made. You're assuming they're an inferior product because they're made in China.

Ass/u/me.

You're not willing to 'gamble'. Apparently I am, but I don't look at it that way. I see it as a learning experience. I wanted something complete and easily available, without buying something used which may have been improperly used or handled. That's what I consider a gamble. And I've discovered - in only 58 years - that sometimes the least expensive product turns out to be the best. You really don't know until you try both and compare them.

Since you're not willing to try both, you'll really never know. Will you?

And I like my Harbor Freight tools, as well. They've all held up fine, and permitted me to buy tools I might otherwise have not afforded.

BTW I have not once knocked Kyocera cells. I have no doubt they are quality. You don't need to try and convince me..

I just received my renogy 100 watt solar suitcase from amazon. It was expertly boxed and arrived without incident. The solar panels appear solid and well made. They are stored in a heavy and well made case. I am new to solar but positive remarks about these panels prompted my purchase. I am in Ohio and am waiting for a nice sunny day to give them a try. Hopefully they will perform well and I may be encouraged to expand my solar. If Ohio doesn't get some sunshine maybe I will see some in Quartzsite(fingers crossed) in January:) Jan

Janncoo

Live near Cincinnati and just finished the install of Renogy panels. Have to go out this afternoon and fix a goof I made lol. Waiting for temps to above freezing...

Install was pretty easy. I'd just been in a bit of rush with the weather.

Seraphim, have been following your posts and will enjoy reading the updates. I'm on the Ohio and Indiana border. Jan

I'm confident the Kyocera is a better panel because I have compared it side by side with cheaper panels.

However, I'm not at all sure the higher quality will translate as a longer life. In fact I bought the cheaper Trina panel because it was so much cheaper it was worth it to me.

I find it very hard to believe that the Renology panels are going to fail in less than 5 years. It might be possible that you will get 15 years out of them instead of 20 but I'm not even certain of that.

However, being mounted on a van or RV is certainly a much harder life than being mounted on a house, most houses don't move much and they certainly don't drive down washboard roads. If the price is even close at all, I think you are better off with a Kyocera panel.

But most of you want cheap, disposable controllers and if so you don't want a Kycoera panel.
Bob

I probably would have done it different had I waited until spring, and wasn't short on time until inclement weather. But we decided we might head down to Florida next month, and head out your way in Feb or so, so whenI saw the kit would do what I want without killing us too bad financially - and free shipping to boot - I went for it.

And I suppose I get my hackles up when someone - who self admittedly has no specific information on the product others than its source of manufacture - essentially says I made a bad choice and should have done something different. I'm not referring to you, Bob.

But, it still seems it will do what I want it to, and there's nothing to stop me from upgrading it bit by bit. It will keep me from being bored in the future. Might even add tilt mounts or some such.

Perhaps you made the correct choice for your situation, but for me I am sure I made the right choice. Remember each individual has different needs and expectations, so we may both be right. Time will tell for sure.

Regarding the warranty on solar panels, I would rather have the PayPal warranty on a used Kyocera then the warranty on a new off shore panel. It's a matter of personal preference for sure.

As for Harbor Freight tools, I avoid them at all costs with very limited exceptions. I use tools professionally and they just don't hold up to daily use. For someone who occasionally uses them, they may be fine.

In life I've found that you generally get what you pay for.

Well, when I was researching panels and saw that Renogy was started by some students at Louisiana State University in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, I just knew that they would not work because I'm a Texas fan!:D Hook em horns!

I have found that it is very difficult to find "made in USA" where not only the item, but ALL of it's components, are also made in the US. I'm sure there are some, but not many.

I look at the company. If I'm pretty sure that they want to stay in business for a while, then I know they will monitor their quality control. If that is the case, I don't mind buying from them.

And before everyone jumps on me about American workers being out of jobs.....there are a lot of foreign owned companies here that employ American workers. It is the way the world is. Do I like it when jobs go overseas? Not at all. But I cannot control what our American companies do. I can only wish there was more a balance in trade.

I like my Renogy solar equipment, even if it was all started by some of those jumbalaya cookin' Cajuns! P.S. I like Cajun food too!

66788 said:
Perhaps you made the correct choice for your situation, but for me I am sure I made the right choice. Remember each individual has different needs and expectations, so we may both be right.

The point is, no ever questioned your choice, but you criticized everyone else's (who chose Renogy). Perhaps YOU are the one who needs to remember everyone has different needs and expectations. I think the rest of us are already aware of the fact.

I asked a question of why anyone would buy a cheap off shore photovoltaic panel when a name brand was available for less money. I believe you answered that you wanted a cheap kit that was put together for you as you didn't want to bother learning about different panels and controllers.

You are pretty snooty in your responses, so I must have struck a nerve with you.

All I can say is enjoy your off shore panels and hope for the best. I certainly hope they last for you.

66788 said:
I asked a question of why anyone would buy a cheap off shore photovoltaic panel when a name brand was available for less money. I believe you answered that you wanted a cheap kit that was put together for you as you didn't want to bother learning about different panels and controllers.

You are pretty snooty in your responses, so I must have struck a nerve with you.

All I can say is enjoy your off shore panels and hope for the best. I certainly hope they last for you.

I didn't realize asking for evidence of your claims of poor manufacture was 'snooty'. Perhaps you should review your own with the same glass. I thought I'd learn something about the panels. Instead, I've learned something about you. I'm disappointed.

You may have the last word. I see no point in any further discussion ...

janncoo said:
I just received my renogy 100 watt solar suitcase from amazon. It was expertly boxed and arrived without incident. The solar panels appear solid and well made. They are stored in a heavy and well made case. I am new to solar but positive remarks about these panels prompted my purchase. I am in Ohio and am waiting for a nice sunny day to give them a try. Hopefully they will perform well and I may be encouraged to expand my solar. If Ohio doesn't get some sunshine maybe I will see some in Quartzsite(fingers crossed) in January:) Jan

just a heads up i bought the same kit as you, you might want to pull the covers off the junction boxes and check to make sure the screws holding the wires down are tight. i rewired my kit so my charge controler is inside with my batteries but my panel is still portable with the the 15' wire it originally came with so i can move it around.
anyway long story short when i did this i found that some of the wires were a little loose and one of the screws was not tightened at all.

Seraphim said:
I didn't realize asking for evidence of your claims of poor manufacture was 'snooty'. Perhaps you should review your own with the same glass. I thought I'd learn something about the panels. Instead, I've learned something about you. I'm disappointed.

You may have the last word. I see no point in any further discussion ...

You want evidence?

read the post above.

I rest my case.

For me it was simple:

1) 1,380 Watts of solar on an RV roof, US made SolarWorld, German Designed panels = $952.20

2) 1,380 Watts of solar on an RV roof, Chinese made Renogy panels = $1,587.00

So for me I essentially got a free MidNite Classic 150 and my 1,500 24v PSW inverter by going with the SolarWorld panels and, they are built like little tanks.

In addition, the warranty for Renogy looks fine until you see what you need to prove a claim, you have to send it to a third party facility for testing and the losing party has to pay all testing fees, meh, it's like a warranty for show and nothing more, in function it's worthless.

With all of that said, I wouldn't avoid their panels, I would just know they have a place and won't work for everybody. Same with Harbor Freight tools, I got a set of 3/4 drive sockets on my trip, $48!! That's insanely low if you ask me! I will only need them a handful of times in my life and I'm certain they will hold up better than any 1/2 drive SnapOn stuff I own. I see value in their "cheap" for some stuff, in others I see almost none.

The only thing I would add is the charge controllers, there is NO WAY I would use a Renogy CC, why, going cheap on the solar fine but the CC it's pointless if you ask me. At least for anything beyond maybe a well pump or something odd, I would always put a good CC behind the solar, it's money well spent.

I chose the Kyocera mostly because of how strong the frame is. The panels take a beating because of wind buffeting and thought the Kyocera would last longer. As for output, 245 watts is plenty for My needs in Arizona.

Being the OP I'm seriously considering deleting several posts here! Holy crap I just wanted to know where and what brands did some of you folks purchase.

solar panels are not high on my list right now so I thought it would be a good idea to ask while I have the time.

I've learned a ton on this site and I have to say that I'm amazed at how far off track this thread went.

Believe me I have my opinions of Made in the USA and products from abroad. I've mentioned I'm and RC addict and in that game the products from China WIN. A few made in the USA win too but hey that's a FEW! I live with it.

And yes there is the quality issues, silver used and silver not used. I've read up on that and frankly I don't care if it is or isn't. Bottom line I've dropped $500.00 to many times in the past on a good time so if I loose out on a few hundred bucks on these panels it will be lesson learned.

Just wanted to know where and what brand :(

TC to all,

Mike R

MikeRuth said:
And yes there is the quality issues, silver used and silver not used. I've read up on that and frankly I don't care if it is or isn't. Bottom line I've dropped $500.00 to many times in the past on a good time so if I loose out on a few hundred bucks on these panels it will be lesson learned.

Just wanted to know where and what brand :(

TC to all,

Mike R

If you don't mind losing $500.00 as you have done on a good time, then why ask? Just buy panels.