Where and what brand solar panel did you buy

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeRuth

Reaction score
And are you satisfied?

I'm in the market for a pair of 100 Watt panels and a controller.
Been shopping around and thought, lets ask those who have already purchased panels.

So how about a comment on the panels you bought, and your thoughts., Price, quality etc.

Thanks,

Mike R

I haven't yet purchased any solar panels larger than the Goal Zero Nomad 13 that came with my Goal Zero Sherpa 50. However, once the Goal Zero Yeti 400 I ordered from REI ships (it's on backorder), I plan to order a Renogy 100W monocrystalline bendable solar panel, along with Goal Zero's MC4-to-8mm adapter. The reason I'm ordering that particular panel is that it's very lightweight (only 3 pounds), which makes it a portable, rugged means of charging the Yeti 400 that costs no limbs at all (Goal Zero products tend to cost at least one upper and one lower limb...).

You'll probably find that many folks here have purchased Renogy panels, as their price-per-Watt is pretty attractive. One thing to keep in mind, though, is that the Renogy 100W monocrystalline panel (the rigid one) has a rather high Vmp (optimum operating Voltage) of 18.9V, with a correspondingly-low Imp (optimum operating current) of 5.29A. Renogy's 100W polycrystalline panel's Vmp and Imp are a conventional 17.8V and 5.62A. That means that, unless Voltage drop due to wiring or panel temperature is an issue, you'll get less charging current from the efficient monocrystalline panels than you will from the relatively-inefficient polycrystalline panels, unless you have a charge controller that uses MPPT technology (which is still fairly spendy). This isn't a big deal, except that anyone building a vehicle-based photovoltaic system knows that rooftop real estate is at a premium. The panel I plan to buy for my Yeti 400 combines the efficiency of a monocrystalline panel with the conventional power profile (Vmp = 17.7V; Imp = 5.7A) of the polycrystalline panel, but with a price premium ($70 more expensive than the mono panels, and $75 more expensive than the poly panels). The bendable panel's light weight does lend itself to temporary mountings.

2 x 100 watt Renogy Mono panels in parallel feeding two 6V golf cart batteries (205AH).
Using for ~4 months running 2.1cf refrig on 12 volts, Maxxfan (sporadic use), LED lights and charging laptop and iPhone. Batteries at 100% at sundown.
Tell you how I like them when I get back home in the spring.

I just ordered the panels, not a kit. I did the research and put the pieces together:
- 200W of panels (Renogy through Amazon)
- 8 ft of 4 AWG from roof (Wire & Cable to Go)
- Morningstar TS-45 PWM charge controller (Northern Arizona Wind & Sun)
- Trimetric 2030 monitor (Northern Arizona Wind & Sun)
- 2 x Energizer GC-2 batteries (Sam's Club)
- 2 x 60W ANL fuses (Amazon)

Panels are rigid and the quality seems as good as more expensive panels I looked at. Renogy was lowest price for 100W panels delivered to my door (with Amazon Prime free 2 day shipping)

-- Spiff

I think all the people who buy Renogy panels will be regretting their purchases after a few years and the panels degrade considerably in performance.

It is my understanding that Renogy does not use silver in the production of their photovoltaic panels like the name brand panels. The panels with silver, both monocrystaline and polycrystaline have lasted over 30 years of constant use with minimal degradation.

I've always been suspicious of the quality of Chinese products and find that they tend to be made from cheap materials. I don't think that this case will be any different.

BTW, I have Kyocera panels and they have a proven track record. I would take a used Kyocera over a new Renogy.

I did a lot of research - specially checking for complaints, durability problems, etc - and found nothing but positive reviews. Have you specific information, 66788, you can share with us? This is the second post in a couple of days in which criticized Renogy, but I've seen no documentation of problems. Stereotyping Chinese materials as cheap quality offers nothing substantial - merely documents you don't like Chinese products.

Just curious.

An interesting paper on silver alternates in panels. No mentioned of reduced life of panels.

http://www.renewableenergyworld.com...2/07/pv-technology-swapping-silver-for-copper

Is Kyocera warranty any better than Regony?

Renogy 100 watt monocrystalline panels. I have 6 of them. Yes, I'm satisfied so far. They've been up for several months, and haven't had any problems (knock on wood).

But I will note that one of my panels is different from the rest. Looking at them from the bottom, 5 are totally opaque, and one is translucent. My friend had the opposite--most where translucent, and one was opaque. We both have Renogy monocrystalline 100 watt panels. Weird.

As far as degradation is concerned, I'm not very concerned about it. I just feel like it'll probably be 15 years by the time I notice a drastic difference in the output, and a lot can happen in 15 years. They might come out with a whole new kind of solar panel, I might abandon this van dwelling idea, who knows.

Seraphim said:
I did a lot of research - specially checking for complaints, durability problems, etc - and found nothing but positive reviews. Have you specific information, 66788, you can share with us? This is the second post in a couple of days in which criticized Renogy, but I've seen no documentation of problems. Stereotyping Chinese materials as cheap quality offers nothing substantial - merely documents you don't like Chinese products.

Just curious.

An interesting paper on silver alternates in panels. No mentioned of reduced life of panels.

http://www.renewableenergyworld.com...2/07/pv-technology-swapping-silver-for-copper

Is Kyocera warranty any better than Regony?

Good reading thanks.
Interestingly the bulk of PV manufacture seems to be China and Germany

I own 2 Kyocera panels, one Trina and one HEG panel.

The Kyocera is a better panel. If you go into a store with numerous panels on display and look at the frame, you'll see that the Kyocera frame is thicker and has more crossbars. If that will translate into a real difference in the long run I don't know.

Kyocera makes it's panels in San Diego. Does anyone think it's a good idea to support American workers?

The small Kyocera panel are way overpriced, but the big ones are just about as cheap as you can buy. They are so close in price per watt to the cheap Chinese panels I think they are a much better deal.

The problem is that the big panels are so expensive to ship that if you can't get one locally they will be much more expensive after you include shipping. They are also high voltage so you can't buy a cheap disposable controller.

Did anyone ever hear of Renology more than 1-2 years ago? Is that really enough time to make you think they are reliable?

I have Kyocera panel on my roof that's 6 years old and still producing 100%. How old is the oldest panel of everyone here?

Bob

The way I look at solar panels is bigger and cheaper the better. I bought 2 leftover from a home instal 240 for 300 bucks. To make it simple solar panels are sun gathering devices the bigger the better. No stints no fuses no power blocks just 2x 6 volt AGM batteries mppt controller hard wired into a simple circuit.
all my needs are 12 volt

My panels were purchased from AMsolar, but the ones I have are discontinued. Their current offering is smaller and lighter for the same output. AMsolar tends to have the most efficent panels in small sizes to fit on RVs, but they are not as cheap per watt as the house-sized panels.

I have 2 Arco panels that are at least 15 years old ,paid 20 bucks each (used) at the flea market 15 years ago still putting out juice.

I bought the Renolgy 100W kit. (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BFCNFRM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

I've only had them a few months and most of that time I've been on shore power because it's been cold and overcast here. So a real test won't happen until I get somewhere warm and sunny.

If I had to buy it again, however, I would buy the tilting installation system (rather than the flat install it came with) and I wouldn't bother with the kit, as the included controller doesn't allow the user to modify the charging parameters, nor does it come with a temperature compensator. The price difference in the basic controller and the basic controller with adjustable parameters and temp. compensator is pretty low.

Amen it's not rocket science. I notched a piece of wood to hold the tilt but the large panel almost needs no tilt. Kits are IMHO best suited for first time "lets see if this works for me" scenarios.

akrvbob said:
I own 2 Kyocera panels, one Trina and one HEG panel.

The Kyocera is a better panel. If you go into a store with numerous panels on display and look at the frame, you'll see that the Kyocera frame is thicker and has more crossbars. If that will translate into a real difference in the long run I don't know.

Kyocera makes it's panels in San Diego. Does anyone think it's a good idea to support American workers?

The small Kyocera panel are way overpriced, but the big ones are just about as cheap as you can buy. They are so close in price per watt to the cheap Chinese panels I think they are a much better deal.

The problem is that the big panels are so expensive to ship that if you can't get one locally they will be much more expensive after you include shipping. They are also high voltage so you can't buy a cheap disposable controller.

Did anyone ever hear of Renology more than 1-2 years ago? Is that really enough time to make you think they are reliable?

I have Kyocera panel on my roof that's 6 years old and still producing 100%. How old is the oldest panel of everyone here?

Bob

Renogy is a four year old company. Of course no one has heard of them for very long. Not much history to go on. Renogy designs the panel's and has them constructed in China. I'm kind of surprised about your seeming turn around, Bob, as you're the one whose Renogy recommendation (in general) I followed. You linked to a kit, and I bought a larger version.

But I'm not knocking Kyocera panels. I've just been hearing a lot of speculative trashing of Renogy, am curious if there is any basis to them.

Were there a store nearby in which I could do a side by side, I would have. alas, there is not.

Supporting American workers? In general yes, though there limits. I've had this discussion often with my UAW Union rep brother, up until the time he bought a used German car, and his validation was he needed a reliable car and didn't have much money. He wasn't even allowed to park it at work (Ford). He had to park it down the street and walk a few blocks. But I think this will lead to discussion a moderator would end up closing *grin*. Don't want to cross those mods - they're nasty...

Well, in five years I'll let you know how those panels held up. As soon as they're installed, I'll do a field test and report.

i orderd the renogy portable solar kit (amazon) and it is working great for what i need so i would say i am happy with my purchase which is what i needed and what i could afford at that time. will it last for 20 years i don't know but it was only a couple hundred bucks so the way i see it if i get 5 years out of it i got my moneys worth. i consider this and my first set of batteries my learning system. if and when something does happen i will definitely upgrade my kit using higher quality parts better batteries and most likely more panels as i will know the in's and outs better than i do now.

also i don't think bob has had a turn around as i have seen him recommend the renogy stuff before but his advice is dependant on the situation of the asking party. so in one thread you will see he recommends one thing and in another its something else because every situation is different.

05kas05 got it just right, very seldom does one piece of advice work for everybody in every situation. For people on a budget I recommend Renology. When bang for your buck is all important they are a great solution. Solar panels have become a commodity that you buy on price. I think their controllers are a minimal piece of equipment but they're so cheap that you don't really care. They are disposable, if it breaks you just throw it away.

On the other hand, if you have a little more to spend then I think the Kyocera is a better panel at a better price and so it's a better deal. But you are going to have to buy a high-end controller to go with it. It won't be disposable.

I just asked what I think are important questions. Each of you will have to answer them for yourselves.

Bob

wow wagoneer arco panels, don't here much about them anymore I believe they are bp solar now. my oldest panel is an arco bought it in '92, it's only a 15 watt but it's still working. I use it for a battery maintainer now. at the time I bought it was about the only game in town. highdesertranger

I bought SolarWorld 230w panels locally for $0.69 a watt, they were less because they were old stock after moving to 250w then 300w panels for their grid tie installs. I'm happy I did and I see them as an investment.

For a smaller system, Renogy would be fine and you can get them to sell you their 100w panels for $115 shipped, the Renogy panels stop making sense to me on any system over 400 watts. They also aren't time tested, I would buy them assuming the worst, if I got 5 years from them I would be happy, I have much higher expectations for my US made German designed panels.

One Kyocera 245 Watt panel from Northern Arizona sun and wind.