When did ordering online become so complicated?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badmotorscooter

Reaction score
You know what they say, when everybody else is wrong it's probably you that is wrong.  So I will start this rant by saying I'm wrong and behind the times, refusing to change...   

With all the security challenges and hacking going on, it seems like you really have to jump through hoops to get something ordered online.  Some vendors like Amazon make it fairly convenient, but a lot of others have excessive vefication protocols.

Most people will say that is the price for the convenience of online ordering, but I really question that.  In spite of all the security measures and extra verifications, we still have to deal with hacked or compromised accounts, credit/debit card theft and so on.

When did this become our responsibility?  If a vendor chooses to do business online and accept our credit cards, wouldn't they be obligated to provide adequate security?  It seems to me all of the verification and jumping through hoops is given to us and we happily comply without question.  We are the consumers/buyers and the vendors are making money from our purchases.  Why can't they invest on better software or security measures that don't require our DNA to verify?

All of this stems from my order earlier today from Newegg.com.  I have been ordering from them for about 15 years and today part of my order was denied because of failure to verify properly.  I ordered three items at once and two were approved no problem, the third cancelled and my account suspended!  It was a real $itch figuring out which item was cancelled and what wasn't with no way to log in and check.  I ordered components for a micro-stx computer and bought parts from Amazon as well (no problems there).  The component that was cancelled was essential and the other components were dependent on that specific form factor.

My son came to the rescue, yah!  He ordered the cancelled item using his newegg account.  He used a debit card that he transferred money into from savings for this purchase (he does this before every purchase).  He ordered on his phone and a verification prompt was sent to him that didn't show up when I tried ordering on my tablet.  He then received a notification that asked permission to approve the purchase for his debit card.  

The order was successful.  He uses this same process for purchasing everything online and it protects him from getting hacked.  It works great, but it got me to wondering?   Where is the protection from the institutes and companies who make their revenues from online sales?  It seems being secure is all about taking appropriate measures into your own hands.

Difficult for someone like me who refuses to use a smart phone...

So I guess it's my fault for not accepting the status quo.  But I stubbornly find something wrong with security issues being our problem with online vendors doing the minimum or less.  By now you may have guessed I mostly avoid ordering online, choosing to pay cash locally whenever possible.  Lucky for online vendors my philosophy on security hassles is "wrong" and everyone else sees it as "normal/acceptable".

Rant over,  go ahead and flame me now...

No flame.  Blow blow blow to fan  it even higher.

I have almost given up internet/digital/electronic anything.  I switched back to paper bills, I have no email account,  and told financial institutions paper statements only and no electronic transmissions or access.  No autopays.  Don't get me started on that.  I pay cash except for the few online purchases (books mostly through Amazon, privacy settings set very high there) for which I use my one credit card issued by a bank in which I have no deposit accounts.  I use only the atm at my bank.  I mail checks to pay bills.  This works because I am at my home base.  Should I go back on the road, I don't know what I will do.

Today, I made in-store purchases with cash (remember that stuff?) where they asked for my phone number.  I just said "No".  I am sick of being tracked everywhere and turn off everything possible on my phone.  I no longer own a computer. I call airlines to get plane tickets, hotels etc directly.  I have a phone book, easier to use than google.  When I do a search on line, I use duckduckgo.  I use an old fashioned TV antennae for local channels only.  No wifi, I use my smart phone and it's 8gb limit.  No YouTube, no Facebook, none of that.  It took over a year to go back to this but I have to say the worry factor is about zero.  And my life is so much simpler.  When I ask a vendor a question and they tell me to go online, I tell them I do not have internet access and then they do their job instead of making me do it.  HA!! 

See what you started?  Lol!

I use Paypal for most of my online purchases. The way it works is Paypal has your credit card info. When you buy something through them, the store gets a payment from paypal and does not get your credit card info. Paypal then bills your credit card. Your credit card company sees paypal billing them and doesn't give it a second thought.

ROFL! I was afraid to mention I prefer paying bills the old fashioned way.

I use cash every day including the grocery store and only plastic when cash won't work.

I mostly use a Amazon Fire 7 tablet with a custom ROM and all google services removed.

Sold my laptop with Linux to build a mini gaming rig that will have Linux, no thank you Microsoft.

I use duckduckgo as my homepage and have never participated in social media ever. I do like to surf the web, but no news media, social media, politics or other misinformation. Mostly scientific or health related stuff, nature topics and music. I find modern society lacking in just about everything and try to live like I think it should be...

I used to have a Paypal account years ago, but am not too fond of them keeping my credit card info either.

I was hoping this forum might host a few people who won't view me as eccentric, paranoid and crazy! (But it could be true?) Lol!

I buy a lot of stuff online but have not had any banking issues with payments other than when I forgot to update a card that had expired. As soon as I entered the new car number the order went through. I prefer to use Amazon or Paypal but if I know and trust a company and have done the background research if I am not familiar with them then I will use my debit or credit card to pay them. But out of preference for such places I look for one that accepts Paypal to add an additional layer of buyer protection. But of course Paypal is not the only company that does such things.

So, I've had my American Express card number used for fraudulent purchases. The last time with several charges showing up on Amazon. So I call AE and have the charges reversed and get a new card. So apparently what AE does unless you explicitly demand a new completely random card number is just increment a couple of the digits in your old number. So if the card number ends in 2007 the new card will be the same but ending with 3008.

So, you guessed it. A couple of months go by and I notice new fraudulent charges on the card. The thief simply opened a new Amazon account using my new card number. I finally got it fixed by demanding an new number. So I also call Amazon looking for answers and find out they didn't actually use my name just the number. Why they allow people to do this is a mystery (well maybe not). So I ask Amazon what name they used for the new account. The answer was "Becky". Not "Becky Smith" or "Becky Jones" just "Becky".

badmotorscooter said:
I was hoping this forum might host a few people who won't view me as eccentric, paranoid and crazy!  (But it could be true?)  Lol!
The rest of us here are eccentric, paranoid, and crazy, so no need to be otherwise.
Traveling with lots of cash can be a liability. Some States take your cash at traffic stops and then you have to prove it was not drug money to get it back.

I take a great deal of pride in the fact that I am eccentric - people that are not eccentric are boring and live boring lives. I used to be schizophrenic but we're all right now.

Treknik said:
So, I've had my American Express card number used for fraudulent purchases. The last time with several charges showing up on Amazon. So I call AE and have the charges reversed and get a new card. So apparently what AE does unless you explicitly demand a new completely random card number is just increment a couple of the digits in your old number. So if the card number ends in 2007 the new card will be the same but ending with 3008.

So, you guessed it. A couple of months go by and I notice new fraudulent charges on the card. The thief simply opened a new Amazon account using my new card number. I finally got it fixed by demanding an new number. So I also call Amazon looking for answers and find out they didn't actually use my name just the number. Why they allow people to do this is a mystery (well maybe not). So I ask Amazon what name they used for the new account. The answer was "Becky". Not "Becky Smith" or "Becky Jones" just "Becky".
American Express.
I used to work as a receptionist for Amazon and we stopped counting how many calls we got from American Express customers because their credit card was used fraudulently. American Express had a major breach but they refused to acknowledge that it happened. I read one article that was by a major news outlet and then it suddenly disappeared.. the article was about an American Express employee (ex arrested employee) who stoled thousands of credit card numbers while he worked at American express. Then, American Express constantly told a lot of customers, it was Amazon's fault and that they would not refund their money and it was up to Amazon to do it.Amazon I can't refund purchases that were done fraudulently. Amazon did not have a breach. In the beginning we had at least 40 calls a day. 6 months later and we were still getting at least three calls a day per receptionist.

My opinion is that American Express is absolutely horrific.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

I'm on the opposite side. I could not live in an apartment or van life without technology. I do this for convenience sake and so that I always have a record of my financial transactions.

I have 4 different email addresses
* Personal
*Business
*Purchases
*Most likely junk mail. If I decide to do business with them, I switch them over to Purchases.

I change my password every six to eight months. Sometimes more if I have a feeling that someone tried to get into one of my accounts.

All of my financial is online only. I chose a credit union and a credit card with fraud detection. This means that even if I make a high purchase at an unusual time, I get a phone call within hours or by 8:00 a.m. asking me if I made that purchase.

I message my credit union if I can wait for the answer so that I have proof. They have been amazing at answering questions and disputing charges that I canceled before the trial ended. Disputes have to still be done by phone though.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

I use Duo Mobile on my phone for 2 factor auth whenever possible. This makes things pretty secure.

As for credit card info, some companies are starting to offer "temporary credit card numbers" which are basically virtual card numbers that are only used once. Each time you go to make a purchase, a new virtual card number is generated by the company, so no one ever sees your real one for online purchases. Capital One offers this already and I'm sure others will follow.

I don't think anyone is eccentric or crazy for going "offline" so to speak. I have crappy eyesight now for reading and people love to text me. I hate texting or using my phone for anything because it screws my vision up for hours after I try to stare at the tiny screen for more than a few seconds at a time. Being fifty sucks sometimes lol