Wheelchair accessible travel trailers

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carla618

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I found this company via a post here from 2016. The company is Dune Sport out of Mesa, AZ.

They make toyhaulers. But they also make them wheelchair accessible. This is the first trailer manufacturer I have found with wide doors, ramps and lifts available.

See: https://dunesport.com/wheelchair-accessible/

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-12-29 at 06-42-17 Wheelchair Accessible Custom Toy Haulers Dune Sport.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-29 at 06-42-17 Wheelchair Accessible Custom Toy Haulers Dune Sport.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 1
Nice to know there are resources for accessible travel and living in a vehicle.
Unfortunately, from my own experiences, this accessibility comes at a steep cost; putting the dream of traveling while handicapped out of reach for so many folks.

I'm currently using an outdated and no longer supported by the manufacture, lift by Braun that I've been keeping going with baling wire and duct tape!
I'd be interested to reach out to Tony and Karen to see exactly what w/chair lift they're using to access the rig.
Any help is appreciated!

Any decent lumber yard can order a 42" steel door. Harbor Freight did sell a 500# hitch lift & 1 may have a new one in the hanger, they were $299. I have an alum folding 8' wide lift gate new on the pallet cheap. Also have several high $$ wheel chairs even one that stands you straight up. Works well as you're at a standing position like everyone else or sitting like a reg power chair. I bought it when I set up my machine shop so I could work at a lathe or mill. It's used but cost $69k new & made in AZ. Had IMHO the best lathe ever made, the American Pacemaker 20"swing, 54" between centers, came from the tool room at Checker Motors in Kalamazoo that made the Great Taxi cabs. It showed no wear at all & had a Buck AdjustTru 3 jaw chuck also made in Kazoo, a 4 jaw & a BB taper attachment. Weighed 7000#. I ran a Craigslist ad 2 days before the Covid lock down & had well over 600 people come buy machines & tooling.

PETE................ There is a photo right on that posted page.........a Super Arm capable of lifting 600 pounds.......
All Electric ..........Lifts the chair and places it inside..........Not a platform lift

There's also another Blog about the problems with the first custom rig.............and a link to her accident

AND all the wonderful places they've been !

Here's a YouTube of a Super Arm

Our own forum members TonyandKaren travel full-time in a custom handicapped accessible RV.....Karen is wheelchair bound........she keeps a BLOG..........here's the RV page

https://rollinginarv-wheelchairtraveling.blogspot.com/p/our-motorhome.html
I love their motorhome. I want my dinette cut down, too. Just like theirs. Or, get rid of it and replace with a long desk.

The second video you posted (of the super arm lift) is of a different motorhome. Correct? Great lift. Looks pretty pricey.

Thanks for posting about my RV Abnorm! My account in this forum got lost when the forum was sold so even though I read the posts every day I haven't been signed in. Now that I've rejoined I'd be happy to answer any questions and help however I can.