What's your preferred Natural, Cheap soap?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nowhere in that article does it say don't wash, where did you get that notion? It just says don't use a lot of soap

TrainChaser said:
Richard, every word of that article may be true, but coming from a site called BadAssU doesn't exactly make a person worry very much about it; some people ride a wide variety of hobby horses, and change them frequently.

TrainChaser, if some people choose to prejudge an article based on the URL name (or the article title, or even the author for that matter), they commit the fallacy of 'judging a book by its cover'. Every point stands or falls on its own merit. And, while such summary prejudice may sometimes be useful as a time-saving strategy, it's anyone's guess how much ignorance has been perpetuated in the interest of saving time.

Wow! People can even vigorously discuss soap! Who da thunk it.  I'll withhold any anecdotal evidence I have about any of the ways we keep clean since there likely aren't any scientific studies since there's no money in it for anyone.

I think I've mentioned in another thread somewhere that my favorite natural soap was Desert Essence Tea Tree Oil Soap.  I used Dawn to wash the cat.  I can't use glycerin or castille soaps so have no opinion on them.

Oops! The soap isn't cheap but it lasts a long time properly cared for so returns it's value. And Dawn isn't natural so far as I know so I guess the information I can share doesn't really meet the criteria. Sorry. :rolleyes:

Most everything we do causes some type of pollution. The vehicles we drive, sending garbage to the landfill, (including untreated human waste), the electronic gadgets we use were build with a great deal of pollution, (including solar panels), The cell phones and WIFI spewing out invisible electro radiation, and yet we need to obsess on what is the soap being rinsed off of our bodies going to do to the ecology.

I guess it takes our minds off of other things.

wow, sorry about that. The one I use is made from coconut oil and is labeled; "Natural,Hypoallergenic Skin Care with No Animal By-Products or Synthetic Detergents" http://www.kirksnatural.com/ I find the bar soap in most supermarkets.

I have always used Dove, I have dry skin and it works for me. I went to the Dermatologist because a wart on my temple was spreading and they scraped it off, then the Dr. told me I had psoriasis because I had a few skin flakes on each side of my nose. Easily removed by washing face, no problems.

She prescribed some soap that cures psoriasis she said, I got it in the mail Monday. I have used it twice and now my whole face feels like I am peeling everywhere. Very uncomfortable. Back to Dove. It's cheap and it works for me.

Yep, kinda like a snake. I am just glad I didn't use in other areas of my poor ol' body.

Psoriasis is a chronic autoimmune disease. You don't really cure those just control them, sorta. I am suspicious of the so-called dermatologist telling someone that. https://www.cdc.gov/psoriasis/index.htm

Gunny said:
I have always used Dove, I have dry skin and it works for me. I went to the Dermatologist because a wart on my temple was spreading and they scraped it off, then the Dr. told me I had psoriasis because I had a few skin flakes on each side of my nose. Easily removed by washing face, no problems.

She prescribed some soap that cures psoriasis she said, I got it in the mail Monday. I have used it twice and now my whole face feels like I am peeling everywhere. Very uncomfortable. Back to Dove. It's cheap and it works for me.

I have allergies and can't use lauryle sulfate and many other chemicals.
I love Kiss My Face Olive Oil. 
  -A 3 pack of soap about $6 at Safeway and Rite Aid, but not every store has it.
  -Today it's $7.47 on Amazon for a 3 pack.  
For hair shampoo I use Allafia Everyday Shampoo. These gentle soaps should give you no problem and be moisturizing.

Richard said:

I concur. I've only used soap for hand washing for three years. It's not necessary in my opinion. FYI I'm not a nomad yet; I have a regular job; I don't stink and my hair isn't greasy  

For handwashing, laundry and dishes, I make my own liquid castille soap. It's not as hard as you might think.

I use Dr. Bronner's. The plain kind is good for everything: bathing, shampoo, dishes, floor, dog....

I also love the peppermint, but space constraints dictate choosing only the most versatile one. Come to think of it, though, I could get a tiny bottle of the peppermint for when I really need a pick-me-up after a day's drive. A few drops in a basin of hot water feels mighty good on sore feet, too.

I'm enjoying learning about everybody else's favorite soaps :-D

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Latest posts