What's gotta go? / Packing a Class B / Downsizing

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duckwonder

Reaction score
Hi All!  I'm trying to load the van with what I will need to boondock for longer periods.  It's pretty funny because the Class B has not much storage.  I have a 3-way fridge and a working furnace, a small microwave, and a broken generator that will be fixed soon, and like 80w of solar until I can get some more.  I have a bad back.  So what's gotta go?  Or how can I make this more efficient?

2 pieces of foam for bedding, mattress pad, sheets, comforter, 2 pillows
Small backback, Large backback, Tarp
*Fold-up dolly and regular laundry basket (rectangular), bungee cords, wire and clips to hang clothes if needed; will use this set-up to carry firewood and water jugs and as a general hauler around camp
4 3-gal water jugs (the 5 pound jugs, much too heavy for me)
Tall trash can in hallway, small one in bathroom
Basic tools, Jumper cable, Voltmeter, Hydrometer, etc
Basic sewer, water, electric hoses, 2 water filters, regulator, level blocks
5-gal bucket (for laundry sometimes or as a stool/table outside)
Viair (I need this, there's no room)
4-cup electric coffee pot and a pour over as a back-up
Mr. Heater Buddy, milk crate, 11.5 pound propane tank
Small electric heater in case I happen to be plugged in so I can save propane, do not intend to be plugged in often.
One-burner propane/butane stove and a few 1 pound propane bottles. (took cook outside and for redundancy and to extend onboard propane for the fridge)
Extra blanket
Dog Crate (I know, but Max feels weird without it when driving and I need it in case I have to fly in an emergency)
Dog Food - trying to find a container that will fit under the bed
Dog Bag - all Max's stuff
Reflectix - where do I store these when not in use?
Don't have a shovel, do I really need one?
Tent
Electronics and headlamp and battery-op walkman, a few cds
Greatly reduced clothing and toiletries, added some winter stuff (jacket, scarf, gloves, slippers); have long hair, not bringing hairdryer
Cast iron dutch oven pot (need it but no room, i really need it), medium non-stick skillet, 1 sm pot, 2 coffee cups, no bowls (i use a pyrex measuring cup), 2 plastic cups, cooking utensils/flatware, scissors, 2 plates, bottle opener, can opener, jar grippy thing, clips, couple cooking knives, couple dry storage stackable containers
What am I forgetting that I really need and what can I go without or how can I manage it better?

I'm fortunate to have these things just starting out.  It's a good problem to have, but a problem nonetheless.  Any tips and tricks of the trade would be most appreciated!

remember you always have the floor in front of the passenger seat. under both seats is another often overlooked spot. highdesertranger

Sounds like you  need a hitch hauler.

There are several of us with one of these:

https://www.stowaway2.com/hitch-frames

I highly recommend the stowaway - it's exceptionally well-built, swings out easily when loaded and can have several different types of boxes attached.

Bob and I are both using the Husky 25 gallon Mobile Tool Box - here's a Cdn link to it, much cheaper in the US

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.25-gallon-mobile-tool-box.1000815381.html

You can buy the hitch hauler complete with a really nice box straight from Stowaway but I found them to be pricey. A friend and I knocked the wheels off the Husky box, drilled 4 mounting holes in the bottom and mounted the box on to 2 pieces of 1x3 that we fastened to the hitch frame (holes on hitch wouldn't line up nicely with the box)

I also use the pull out handle for a place to hang wet clothes and towels... :D 

I got all the odds and ends out of the van like power cords, engine fluids, small electric heater, jumper cables, etc. etc. etc.

I can't imagine doing without it now!

If you have to go inexpensive for right now, you can put any hitch platform on the back and use bungee/tie downs to hold plastic totes on to it. The only problem with that is that to access the back doors you have to unload the box. But it will work for now if you need to!

There are a few things on your list that, personally, I think are unnecessary; ... but that's just from my viewpoint and the way I travel(ed). As hdr stated/hinted at, look for and utilize ANY and ALL vacant spaces (as long as you don't exceed weight limits) to store/carry items (btw, reflectix can be rolled into a tube shape, secured with a bungee or two and stuck almost anywhere when not in use); as you spend time on the road you will get a better feel for what you personally need/want and how to best transport them. Everyone (?) always starts out on the road with much, much more than they really need (at least from a later viewpoint) so you're going through the same process as anyone else preparing for this lifestyle.

Almost There said:
Sounds like you  need a hitch hauler.
Thanks, you're probably right.  I'm nervous to put anything on the back doors or drill extra holes in the van, and money for now, well I hope I can get gasoline.  I would actually love to pull a small trailer but before I learn how to tow, I probably need to learn how to back the van into smaller spaces, lol!  No rear camera, one day that would be awesome.

Thirsty Boots Nomad said:
There are a few things on your list that, personally, I think are unnecessary; ... but that's just from my viewpoint and the way I travel(ed).  As hdr stated/hinted at, look for and utilize ANY and ALL vacant spaces (as long as you don't exceed weight limits) to store/carry items (btw, reflectix can be rolled into a tube shape, secured with a bungee or two and stuck almost anywhere when not in use); as you spend time on the road you will get a better feel for what you personally need/want and how to best transport them.  Everyone (?) always starts out on the road with much, much more than they really need (at least from a later viewpoint) so you're going through the same process as anyone else preparing for this lifestyle.
Thank you, I appreciate that.  No one is going to hurt my feelings by suggesting that some of these things are unnecessary - would you mind letting me know which and why or what you would do to compensate if anything?  I hear that about any and all vacant spaces.  I've got the dog bag behind the microwave and would take it down if I need to microwave something.  It's funny to me, but hey that may work.  I do imagine many go through this process and have come up with some solutions.

No extra holes drilled in the van, nothing attaches to back doors.

The  hitch hauler fits in to the hitch receiver that might already be on your van.

With the hitch hauler on, I do as little backing in to parking spaces as possible. I park further out and pull in front end first in to a double length parking spot so that my hitch hauler is protected from 'those nice people who can't drive worth beans :rolleyes: ' coming down the aisle.

The van still fits in a regular parking spot and is less than 20' long with the box on - as checked by frequent ferry rides on the BC Ferry system.... :D 

Learning to back the van up in to camping spots and parking spots if necessary just takes practice....and more practice. I've had rental cars with back up cameras and I wanted to put a cover over it. PITA IMO.

If there's absolutely no money in the budget for even a cheap platform then all you can do is smooge everything in to every small corner you can find. Softside packages can be easier to cram in than hard side anything so consider small duffle bag type carriers for anything you need a tote for. Heck, I've been known to use the reusable grocery store bags for things like my shower kit!

And yes, the underside of the seats and the passenger foot well are great places to put things. My 20lb propane tank rides in the passenger foot well of my van as does my briefcase and as much other stuff as I can cram in there. No passengers normally so why not use the space.

Almost There said:
 If there's absolutely no money in the budget for even a cheap platform then all you can do is smooge everything in to every small corner you can find. Softside packages can be easier to cram in than hard side anything so consider small duffle bag type carriers for anything you need a tote for. Heck, I've been known to use the reusable grocery store bags for things like my shower kit!

And yes, the underside of the seats and the passenger foot well are great places to put things. My 20lb propane tank rides in the passenger foot well of my van as does my briefcase and as much other stuff as I can cram in there. No passengers normally so why not use the space.

Good tips, thanks!  I forgot on my list the chair and the ice chest, lol.  I'm with you on the soft carriers, and on grocery store bags.  Passenger seat and floor if I can figure it out may hold the Viair, the dutch oven, the dog food if it's full under the bed, a battery-op fan I forgot on the list, the heater buddy, milk crate and propane tank.  That's a packed out passenger seat and floor!  I don't want to put propane there when driving though, the engine makes the floor there incredibly hot while driving, maybe on the bed with stuff packed all around it.

Almost There said:
No extra holes drilled in the van, nothing attaches to back doors.

The  hitch hauler fits in to the hitch receiver that might already be on your van.
And thanks for that.  Just the kind of thing my newbie self needs to hear.  :)

Thirsty boots has the best advice. Just get out there. It becomes quickly obvious what you didn't bring and what you don't need. If you can go out for a quick weekend before setting sail that would be best. My first trip out, 3 or 4 days in I went to goodwill and donated all the crap I didn't need. And picked up what I missed. Gloves for emptying the black tank - was so gross without them. Even with them I'm running for the hand sanitizer right after.

If the floor in the passenger foot well is getting that noticeably hot, it sounds like you've got a leaking seal around the engine 'dog house'. Are your feet getting hot as well, particularly the one on the gas pedal? It may be a simple case of the seal not being properly put in to place when someone had the dog house off for getting at the engine or the insulation/seal may be missing or defective.

I've always felt that the passenger foot well is one of the safest places to carry a portable propane tank...the foot wells are engineered for passenger safety in crash tests. It's also easy to find enough stuff to wedge the tank in there so it isn't going anywhere in case of a fast stop.

The bed may  not be the safest place for it as it can and will move if you stop too fast! The only things I leave on the bed when in transit are the pillows, my front curtains and extra clothing that's been worn but not ready for the laundry! The heavier bulky stuff needs to be down low and tucked away!

Well if you need more space those vacuum sealed bags for clothing and things like extra blankets can help and are cheap. I also just place my reflective under my pillow while driving. I know weird but does hide them. I am in a Kia Soul so need to use all the space as possible. They also have bags for your roof that don’t need mounting. They are called Rightline Gear and that could give you more space. For me a microwave wouldn’t be needed. I have a $18 stove from Walmart that is enough for me. For a toilet I just use a small 5 gallon bucket with a gamma lid (Home Depot really cheap). I don’t have a shovel either. I think some use it if they have to go to the bathroom outside but that is why I use a bucket. You will figure out while on the road what works for you but this is what works for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Zardor said:
Gloves for emptying the black tank - was so gross without them. Even with them I'm running for the hand sanitizer right after.

2 things I did not have!  See?  Y'all are awesome.  I'm just a stress bunny right now trying to organize and waiting for the generator appointment.  Nervous but very excited to be heading west soon (knock on wood).  Looking forward to meeting you all.  I wish you'd tell me what I don't need to bring.  Much rather leave that weight here if I can.  First to go, the electric heater.  I'm not plugging in.  What else?

Almost There said:
If the floor in the passenger foot well is getting that noticeably hot, it sounds like you've got a leaking seal around the engine 'dog house'. Are your feet getting hot as well, particularly the one on the gas pedal? It may be a simple case of the seal not being properly put in to place when someone had the dog house off for getting at the engine or the insulation/seal may be missing or defective.

I've always felt that the passenger foot well is one of the safest places to carry a portable propane tank...the foot wells are engineered for passenger safety in crash tests. It's also easy to find enough stuff to wedge the tank in there so it isn't going anywhere in case of a fast stop.

The bed may  not be the safest place for it as it can and will move if you stop too fast! The only things I leave on the bed when in transit are the pillows, my front curtains and extra clothing that's been worn but not ready for the laundry! The heavier bulky stuff needs to be down low and tucked away!
YES to those questions.  Do I need to worry about that before hitting the road on a 6 month trip?  Is it dangerous?  Very low on $.
Great heads up on the propane tank, this is why I ask.

Kia girl said:
Well if you need more space those vacuum sealed bags for clothing and things like extra blankets can help and are cheap.  I also just place my reflective under my pillow while driving.  I know weird but does hide them.  I am in a Kia Soul so need to use all the space as possible.  They also have bags for your roof that don’t need mounting.  They are called Rightline Gear and that could give you more space.  For me a microwave wouldn’t be needed.  I have a $18 stove from Walmart that is enough for me.  For a toilet I just use a small 5 gallon bucket with a gamma lid (Home Depot really cheap).  I don’t have a shovel either.  I think some use it if they have to go to the bathroom outside but that is why I use a bucket.  You will figure out while on the road what works for you but this is what works for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lol, I love your suggestions, thank you.  No shovel, it is!  Really appreciate your letting me know, some great ideas in there.

I'm in a 1994 pleasure way class b.

The foam mattress is on top of the original seats cushions bed. I keep reflectix and extra sheets under the mattress.

I placed a cheap plastic ice chest between the front seats and use it for storage as well use the top as the base for a plastic automotive drink holder and organizer. I put up a pic in another thread.

Also use the front passenger seat.

The spare tire carrier hanging off the rear door has a Trasharoo giant backpack. Good storage but doesn't lock.

Take a close look at the dog house - if it was taken off during mechanical work, it may simply have not been put back on properly. They can be an absolute bitch some times to get back in the right place with the seal in correctly. I've even seen mechanics fail to put either all the bolts back in or all the clip fasteners back in place.

It's not harmful unless you've got an exhaust leak where fumes are coming in the the drivers compartment but it sure is uncomfortable on the right foot.

If you're in doubt about the quality of the rubber seal that should be there or the insulation that's on the inside of the dog house, snap some pics and we'll offer an opinion.... :rolleyes: 

I went back over your lists and here's what I'd leave out or change out:

laundry basket - get yourself a cloth laundry bag from W/M to stuff dirty clothes in to and take to the laundry.
2 garbage cans - a B is so small you can easily use just one can. It's not like you're living in a house, garbage goes out when the bag is full and you're near someplace to put it like the gas station... :D 

5 gallon bucket unless you're using it to store stuff in - dog food, use as a laundry hamper, heck use it as the garbage can.
Why 2 water filters?

You won't be able to use those 1 lb propane tanks to extend the propane for the fridge, it's hard plumbed to the onboard tank. I only carry the propane tank for the buddy heater and to use outdoors on the propane stove. The portable stove is not going to be your primary source of cooking so a couple of butane bottles takes up way less space.

You'll probably never need the shovel and if you do there's little folding ones that store much better than a regular household shovel.

That electric coffee pot - it will mean firing up the generator to use it, think about this...do you really need to make 4 cups at a time and what time of the morning are you going to wake all your neighbors up starting that generator! A stove top one that can be used on the stove might pack easier and be more appropriate!

Use the backpacks for packing stuff in, no need to have them take up space if they're not in use. My daypack doubles as my camera bag.

You're actually doing really well at cutting down on what you're carrying. I wish I had of shot a video of what someone I know packed in to their car for their start of their nomad life. .... :rolleyes: :D :D :p

dextours said:
I'm in a 1994 pleasure way class b.

The foam mattress is on top of the original seats cushions bed. I keep reflectix and extra sheets under the mattress.

I placed a cheap plastic ice chest between the front seats and use it for storage as well use the top as the base for a plastic automotive drink holder and organizer. I put up a pic in another thread.

Also use the front passenger seat.

The spare tire carrier hanging off the rear door has a Trasharoo giant backpack. Good storage but doesn't lock.
Hey, thanks fellow pleasure-wayer.  Under the mattress, I like it!  In my case the dog crate is going between the seats so I can keep an eye on my boy, he's a little weird driving but I think he'll get used to it better.  Think I might put the ice chest on top of a garbage bag on top of the potty.  Is that gross?  It will stay put when driving because the garbage cans are in there when driving.  My spare is underneath, but awesome tip on that, thank you.

Almost There said:
Take a close look at the dog house - if it was taken off during mechanical work, it may simply have not been put back on properly. They can be an absolute bitch some times to get back in the right place with the seal in correctly. I've even seen mechanics fail to put either all the bolts back in or all the clip fasteners back in place.

It's not harmful unless you've got an exhaust leak where fumes are coming in the the drivers compartment but it sure is uncomfortable on the right foot.

If you're in doubt about the quality of the rubber seal that should be there or the insulation that's on the inside of the dog house, snap some pics and we'll offer an opinion.... :rolleyes: 

I went back over your lists and here's what I'd leave out or change out:

laundry basket - get yourself a cloth laundry bag from W/M to stuff dirty clothes in to and take to the laundry.
2 garbage cans - a B is so small you can easily use just one can. It's not like you're living in a house, garbage goes out when the bag is full and you're near someplace to put it like the gas station... :D 

5 gallon bucket unless you're using it to store stuff in - dog food, use as a laundry hamper, heck use it as the garbage can.
Why 2 water filters?

You won't be able to use those 1 lb propane tanks to extend the propane for the fridge, it's hard plumbed to the onboard tank. I only carry the propane tank for the buddy heater and to use outdoors on the propane stove. The portable stove is not going to be your primary source of cooking so a couple of butane bottles takes up way less space.

You'll probably never need the shovel and if you do there's little folding ones that store much better than a regular household shovel.

That electric coffee pot - it will mean firing up the generator to use it, think about this...do you really need to make 4 cups at a time and what time of the morning are you going to wake all your neighbors up starting that generator! A stove top one that can be used on the stove might pack easier and be more appropriate!

Use the backpacks for packing stuff in, no need to have them take up space if they're not in use. My daypack doubles as my camera bag.

You're actually doing really well at cutting down on what you're carrying. I wish I had of shot a video of what someone I know packed in to their car for their start of their nomad life. .... :rolleyes: :D :D :p

Will take a look at the engine or try some pics.  You're right, it is WAY uncomfortable on the right foot.  I had no idea, just thought that was normal on this van.  Thank you so much for that!!

Ok, if I go to duffle or mesh laundry bag, what will I use to carry 3 pound water bottles and firewood and anything I cannot lift?  
The thinking behind the garbage cans is for longer boondocking times without having to drive in for services, have a little system with those.  The 5 gal bucket will store stuff while driving but be outside when parked and be used as a table or stool and I'll do laundry in it from time to time.  The backpacks are always full.  To clarify about the propane, if I use the one pounders for cooking outside then I get to cook outside And save the onboard propane to be used to power the fridge for extended times - I also need the onboard propane for occasional furnace use just to keep that working but will use the Buddy much more.  But the outdoor stove does take butane also and if that is less space, I should look into that.  On the coffee, I will drink 4 cups as it reads on the pot but I'm convinced each cup isn't really a full coffee cup because I only get 2 actual cups out of that, screwy logic on my part a little, but I love coffee.  The generator thing, I hate that too, but I'm going to need to run it anyway to try to charge up my low solar so may as well do electric coffee too was my thinking, do realize I will need to park away from others whenever possible, don't want to disturb my neighbors, truly.  That was all just fab feedback though and where I seem to be digging in my heels are probably the things that "work for me" or not, the road will truly tell.  That's exactly the type of sounding board I was looking for, thanks for that!  I do hope to improve on the space, but just starting out, it's like I'm not ready to let go of some little comforts and the practical stuff, I'll find out if it's really that or not soon enough, you guys are right.  Thanks again!

The list in your first post looks like you're trimmed down quite well, and I 2nd the idea that as you travel you'll figure what's going to stay/go or need to get. I would add a proper shovel though. If you don't use anything often enough to warrant carrying it there's the "free stuff area" @ the RTR.