What's for dinner?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wanderingsoul said:
I just finished making a huge bowl of cole slaw.  It's a vinegar slaw recipe I found online with apple cider vinegar, olive oil, honey, dijon mustard and salt & pepper.  Delicious!!
Do you happen to have a link for this?  Sounds yummy!

VanFan said:
Do you happen to have a link for this?  Sounds yummy!

I just now saw your message, sorry!

https://downshiftology.com/recipes/vinegar-coleslaw-no-mayo/

^^ I didn't have an onion to add when I made this so I put a pinch of onion powder in the dressing. Also used a bag of already shredded cole slaw and added some extra carrot.

I'm going to make a sort of asian cole slaw in the next couple days.  Well, when I get the sesame stix I ordered on Amazon because I can't get them here in town.  Chopped cabbage, maybe some red cabbage too, carrots, maybe a little kale.  Sesame dressing and the best part....crushed sesame stix.  Found a couple good sesame dressing recipes to play around with.  I got a chopped salad mix at Fred Meyer one day and loved it.  Too expensive to buy the mix though so I'm going to make my own and eat it all I want. lol

I have an asian-flavored vinegar coleslaw recipe that uses uncooked ramen noodles and toasted almonds for crunchies. After sitting for a while, the ramen soaks up some of the dressing. May not be as good as sesame sticks, but you wouldn't have to wait on them either!

Herb roasted chicken, mashed tatos and gravy, fresh made cornbread, 3 kinds of homemade jam, herby corn, watermelon and homemade apple blueberry pie. Fresh brewed peach iced tea just cause it is Aug.
We eat good around here when company is coming.

Omg that sounds good !
I bought a case of juicy Colorado peaches today…gonna make peach pie tomorrow….
Had steak & a salad for dinner tonight… with ice tea ( brewed in the sun) with fresh lemons & sugar….

After a few days of eating anything that caught my fancy I am back on my version of the Mediterranean diet. I bought a bag of medium gulf shrimp and divvied it up into 10 shrimp portions for myself.

Today I made a sort of cajun bbq shrimp. Thawed them out and sprinkled them heavily with cajun seasoning, sauteed a bunch of garlic in mostly olive oil with a bit of butter for flavor, tossed in the shrimp and when they were almost done sprinkled in a few drops of worcestershire. Some lemon would have been nice too. DELICIOUS!!

Sounds yummy !!!!

I eat whatever I feel like… and it shows… but who cares… I gotta enjoy something…

Made chicken salad sandwiches with dill pickles on the side & kettle chips & iced tea  :heart:

Hey, Gypsy:  We made chicken salad today, too.  Nice change here.  Tonight it's tortilla soup--if I get is started pretty soon, that is.

JDub is back— time to resurrect this thread 😃

Today’s stovetop concoction: My own odd variation of pasta e fagioli. Made a pot full, and before adding the (whole wheat) pasta, I pulled out a serving and plopped it on top of some left over quinoa.

Welcome back, JDub 👋

Last night it was campfire potatoes. Just cut in half and wrapped in foil. Cooked for an hour under the fire.
Then snatched out of coals added butter, salt and pepper. Done. More than enough flavor!
Was going to have veggie hot dogs too, but they both rolled off the grill into the fire. : (
Tonight I'm making curry chickpeas with bell pepper, potato, onion, broccoli and zucchini over rice.
I have lately gotten into these instant rice packages. It's pre cooked and vacuum sealed. So I only have to heat it up with a little water for 3-4 minutes.
Only buy them when they are on sale. They usually go for $2 or so, which is a lot for 2 servings of plain rice!
A little bummed I dont have any red pepper. My curry powder has no heat at all.

JDub is back— time to resurrect this thread 😃

Today’s stovetop concoction: My own odd variation of pasta e fagioli. Made a pot full, and before adding the (whole wheat) pasta, I pulled out a serving and plopped it on top of some left over quinoa.

Welcome back, JDub 👋
Mahalo nui loa Ravella! I missed this thread. Hopefully you're doing well as ever my fellow Kama'aina! Tonight I'm doing "leftover, Leftovers" - I went through the fridge and cleared out everything (I'm a stickler for NO MORE than one week for perishables in da fridge) I found: half a sweet potato left from roasting 2 chickens and sweet imos a couple nights ago, half an onion, an errant corn tortilla, and the last of the green chili pork I made Sat.

Sooooooo I just chopped up everything and seasoned w salt, peppa, garlic salt, and smoked paprika for a hash kinda ting. It's sizzling right now and I'm going to have it w a slice of toasted homemade whole wheat drizzled w honey (kind of an ad hoc sopapilla), some left over ranch beans, and 2 over easy eggs slid on top. It's gonna be "Broke da MOUTH" (hopefully). :D

Cheers!
IMGP0271.JPG

Cg & JDub… one rather spartan meal and one quite grand!

Tonight I’m having no actual dinner. I have not baked sourdough outside for a long time, so I did today.

My temp neighbor, who is 90 something and recently fell and even more recently lost a son to covid is not eating much, so I dusted off my Dutch oven and opened a bag of charcoal. So one boule for him and one for me.

Had a warm crust with olive oil/balsamic vinegar/herbs to dip it in. Not hungry for dinner now.

Herb roasted chicken, mashed tatos and gravy, fresh made cornbread, 3 kinds of homemade jam, herby corn, watermelon and homemade apple blueberry pie. Fresh brewed peach iced tea just cause it is Aug.
We eat good around here when company is coming.
Sounds wonderful..... wondering how you make the fresh cornbread and the pie? Do you have an oven in your van or some magic baking technique to share??? I love baking and this will be one thing I will need to figure out!

Cg & JDub… one rather spartan meal and one quite grand!

Tonight I’m having no actual dinner. I have not baked sourdough outside for a long time, so I did today.

My temp neighbor, who is 90 something and recently fell and even more recently lost a son to covid is not eating much, so I dusted off my Dutch oven and opened a bag of charcoal. So one boule for him and one for me.

Had a warm crust with olive oil/balsamic vinegar/herbs to dip it in. Not hungry for dinner now.
Nothing wrong with that dinner! It's considered a good meal in a lot of the Old World. Just need a good glass of Gnarly Head Zin and what more could you ask for? That was awfully nice of you baking one for your neighbor. Sometimes folks at that age will just stop eating due to a stressful situation and that's a sure way for things to go South... What do you feed your starter?

Cheers!

Sounds wonderful..... wondering how you make the fresh cornbread and the pie? Do you have an oven in your van or some magic baking technique to share??? I love baking and this will be one thing I will need to figure out!
Hi Jeanine, that post is pretty old and you may not get a response. If you don't have access to an oven, a dutch oven over your stove or briquets will do the trick for cornbread. You can also do pies as well but I usually make a cobbler type thing - much easier.

Cheers!

Last edited:
What do you feed your starter?

My starter, Hugo, is flour and water. He was born about 6 years ago in Michigan. The bread I mostly make is flour/water/salt/starter, with 50% whole wheat flour (white whole wheat, if I can get it.)

TMI?

Here’s my neighbor’s boule:

9D933129-094E-457F-9B46-3AE6999E65E0.jpeg

Not at all! Beautiful boule there, you have wonderful talents baking... My starter (which is kind of dormant right now) is the same but my yeast was captured from my backyard grapevine. I have a fun recipe here for Hawaii style Portagee pao doce which is baked in an old fashioned Forno which is right up your alley. I bake it in the oven in a pie pan too (7 per) and it's GOOD. If you try it, I hope you like it.

https://www.hawaiimagazine.com/how-to-make-hawaii-style-portuguese-sweet-bread-pao-doce/
Cheers!

Tonight it's gonna be: Leftover roast chicken warmed up on top of a bed of Cajun rice, sausage, and eggplant dressing that I portioned up and froze from my last batch (it makes a LOT), dressed up canned green beans, whole wheat bread, and marinated tomato and sweet onion salad. Hope everyone has a good dinner wherever you are...

Cheers!

Latest posts