What's for dinner?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats, Spazz!
Did you season it? With what?

I recently switched from fresh and canned mushrooms to all dry mushrooms. I got a pound of “stir fry blend” and couldn’t be happier. Sometimes I sort out the kind I want for this or that meal. I’m also going to grind some up and add to my next seitan experiment for the umami.

We all bow down to JDub on this thread. I drool at what he describes and pictures, then make a simple, quick, cheap and plant based something. Almost always a one pan affair.

I ground up some dried mushrooms in a spice grinder (aka coffee grinder only used for spices) a while ago. I call it "Umami Powder". I add a little bit (1/2 tsp?) to 1lb of "meat" whenever I make burgers or meatloaf. Super yummy!

Congrats, Spazz!

I recently switched from fresh and canned mushrooms to all dry mushrooms. I got a pound of “stir fry blend” and couldn’t be happier. Sometimes I sort out the kind I want for this or that meal. I’m also going to grind some up and add to my next seitan experiment for the umami.

We all bow down to JDub on this thread. I drool at what he describes and pictures, then make a simple, quick, cheap and plant based something. Almost always a one pan affair.
I would normally have seasoned the stir fry with some fresh, grated ginger, but you know how they used to say "hunger is the best sauce"?

Last night, the satisfaction of overcoming pyrophobia (I'm from Humboldt, CA) and learning a new skill made an even better sauce than hunger.

I wasn't exactly "stealth" about it, but baby steps, baby steps.....

I ground up some dried mushrooms in a spice grinder (aka coffee grinder only used for spices) a while ago. I call it "Umami Powder". I add a little bit (1/2 tsp?) to 1lb of "meat" whenever I make burgers or meatloaf. Super yummy!
I’d be interested in your best no- meat burger and meatloaf recipes 😃 I’m not vegetarian or vegan, I just try to eat like Michael Pollan tells me to. Plus, not carrying actual meat makes life so much easier (and groceries cheaper, and my waistline smaller).

I would normally have seasoned the stir fry with some fresh, grated ginger, but you know how they used to say "hunger is the best sauce"?

Last night, the satisfaction of overcoming pyrophobia (I'm from Humboldt, CA) and learning a new skill made an even better sauce than hunger.

I wasn't exactly "stealth" about it, but baby steps, baby steps.....
Congrats again Spazz! Baby steps are still steps, and ya have to walk before you can run, so you are doing awesome 👍

Evening all! I've got company this evening so I'm firing up the grill for Churasco Night. It's going to rain for the next few days so now or never. We are having: Grilled ribeyes with chimichurri sauce, french fries, freshly baked whole wheat bolillos (set out to rise below), chopped marinated salad with artichoke bottoms, green beans w onions and red peppers, Gnarly Head Zin to go w it, and ending with cheese and port. Tomorrow, my FAVORITE Last Meal type breakfast: The Heart Stopper! Leftover steak w fried potatoes, grilled buttered bolillos, 2 over easy eggs on top and chimichurri all over. Had it for the first time in Montevideo years ago and it's been a love affair ever since... I hope all of you are safe, secure, and well fed out there!

KIMG0687.JPGKIMG0686.JPG

Cheers All.

Last edited:
Evening all! I've got company this evening so I'm firing up the grill for Churasco Night. It's going to rain for the next few days so now or never. We are having: Grilled ribeyes with chimichurri sauce, french fries, freshly baked whole wheat bolillos (set out to rise below), chopped marinated salad with artichoke bottoms, green beans w onions and red peppers, Gnarly Head Zin to go w it, and ending with cheese and port. Tomorrow, my FAVORITE Last Meal type breakfast: The Heart Stopper! Leftover steak w fried potatoes, grilled buttered bolillos, 2 over easy eggs on top and chimichurri all over. Had it for the first time in Montevideo years ago and it's been a love affair ever since... I hope all of you are safe, secure, and well fed out there!

View attachment 30303View attachment 30304

Cheers All.
Chimichurri is one of the greatest sauces ever invented.

I might have to just ignore the heck out of this thread— I fear it will make me gain weight!

Yesterday I modified Kent Rollins’ Poor man’s sausage recipe (not meat) and today I modified this biscuit gravy recipe https://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/biscuits-vegetarian-sausage-gravy
to make me something different for breakfast. I just used the gravy recipe for ideas on how to spice it, as the not-meat sausage doesn’t do the same thing to gravy as real sausage does. And….

It was pretty good! It scratched the itch without clogging my arteries or packing on pounds 😂😂 Not saying it was as good as the real thing according to my mouth, just saying it did the job admirably, considering.

Bonus for those without refrigeration: this meal can be made using only pantry staples!

I might have to just ignore the heck out of this thread— I fear it will make me gain weight!

Yesterday I modified Kent Rollins’ Poor man’s sausage recipe (not meat) and today I modified this biscuit gravy recipe https://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/biscuits-vegetarian-sausage-gravy
to make me something different for breakfast. I just used the gravy recipe for ideas on how to spice it, as the not-meat sausage doesn’t do the same thing to gravy as real sausage does. And….

It was pretty good! It scratched the itch without clogging my arteries or packing on pounds 😂😂 Not saying it was as good as the real thing according to my mouth, just saying it did the job admirably, considering.

Bonus for those without refrigeration: this meal can be made using only pantry staples!
Shoots! YOU Da One who resurrected Da Bugga! :ROFLMAO:

I know it! I know it! Cause I want you to do your thing! But I DON’T want you to inspire me to cook like that!!!! Not your fault— just my weakness for all the good, rich, binge-worthy, fattening stuffs!

My super old guy neighbor who recently fell and then lost his son to covid a couple weeks later hinted about macaroni and cheese. So I bought cheese to make him some. Do you think it’s possible I won’t scarf that fatty carby homemade comfort stuff with a brown and crunchy top down?🙄

I feel doomed today 🙈

My super old guy neighbor who recently fell and then lost his son to covid a couple weeks later hinted about macaroni and cheese. So I bought cheese to make him some. Do you think it’s possible I won’t scarf that fatty carby homemade comfort stuff with a brown and crunchy top down?🙄
I feel doomed today 🙈
"Alright... Three Hail Mary's and one Our Father and Loretta... THINK about your life"!!!

Priest to Cher in Moonstruck :ROFLMAO:

Evening all. Tonight dinner is going to be sweet and simple. I'm (still) stuffed from my "Heart Stopper" breakfast I had about 10 am this morning (did I neglect to mention the 4 slices of bacon that go w it?)... Despite having an unnatural attraction to the dish, I have enough sense to eat such only about once every three or four months (takes that long for my gut to recover!). So tonight I'm having an oven baked Italian style sub on a leftover bolillo with salami, smoked ham, and - due to my provolone developing the green stuff - and it's not even OPENED - I'm subbing Swiss. Bake at 300 for ~ 20 min, top with leftover marinated salad and artichoke from last night. Squeeze down tight, pop a cheap azz beer and call it good...

It's rainy as heck here and I know it's much worse around the country so all of you stay safe, warm, and put some good grindz into your belly tonight.

KIMG0689.JPG

Cheers!

I

Congrats, Spazz!

How do you rehydrate them? I tried and no matter how long they soaked or boiled they still had super tough and unpleasant almost woody portions (dried oyster mushrooms).

How do you rehydrate them? I tried and no matter how long they soaked or boiled they still had super tough and unpleasant almost woody portions (dried oyster mushrooms).
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Mine rehydrate fine in water, so I don’t know what to tell you. Maybe mushrooms are like beans and can get too old?

Evening all. Tonight dinner is going to be sweet and simple. I'm (still) stuffed from my "Heart Stopper" breakfast I had about 10 am this morning (did I neglect to mention the 4 slices of bacon that go w it?)... Despite having an unnatural attraction to the dish, I have enough sense to eat such only about once every three or four months (takes that long for my gut to recover!). So tonight I'm having an oven baked Italian style sub on a leftover bolillo with salami, smoked ham, and - due to my provolone developing the green stuff - and it's not even OPENED - I'm subbing Swiss. Bake at 300 for ~ 20 min, top with leftover marinated salad and artichoke from last night. Squeeze down tight, pop a cheap azz beer and call it good...

It's rainy as heck here and I know it's much worse around the country so all of you stay safe, warm, and put some good grindz into your belly tonight.

View attachment 30321

Cheers!

I
Hi JDub, relatively new to the forum. Can you tell me what kind of stove/oven you have? Obviously you like to cook, as do I.
Thank you

Chimichurri is one of the greatest sauces ever invented.
I am going to have to correct you not one of the best..THE best!! use it on meat, spaghetti on bread etc etc typical Argentine small meal lol

Attachments

• 1424953741009.jpg
    1424953741009.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 1424954341024.jpg
    1424954341024.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 2001381951354.jpg
    2001381951354.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 2
  • My, my my what food.jpg
    My, my my what food.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 3
I haven't found any dehydrated mushrooms, but I did hit the bulk section for fast cooking grains yesterday.

Millet is cheap, so I grabbed a bunch of that along with amaranth, quinoa, couscous and other fancy stuff that doesn't show up in rural locations.

I almost went to a restaurant and then almost ate junk food last night, but then realized all I needed was lettuce to make a nice, healthy sandwich instead.

I think this thread is going to help me lose weight under the circumstances, lol.

I do have a Sunflair oven for fire season and also just because solar is cool---but not stealth!!!

The double burner propane stove stayed in storage; the butane stove may be all I need right now.

Grow some in a plastic tub and carry it with you.

https://www.milkwood.net/2022/02/02/grow-mushrooms-in-home-garden/
Cheer.
I have a mini-greenhouse full of buckets growing oyster mushrooms right now... Hopefully. I'm
growing them in cocoa-coir as substrate for 3 buckets and hardwood bbq pellets that have been
broken down and soaked in another 5 buckets... plus a 5-gallon bucket and still have some hardwood
substrate I'm trying to figure out what to do with although it will likely just rot because not enough
spawn in it to outcompete anything that contaminates it.

All in all I'm hoping to harvest 20 to 30 lbs of italian oyster mushrooms.

Doing this in a van though? Would be great growing conditions and easy to control environment,
but likely fairly toxic for mammals trying to live in the same environment :)

Hi JDub, relatively new to the forum. Can you tell me what kind of stove/oven you have? Obviously you like to cook, as do I.
Thank you
Hi, well, at home I have a vintage (very) Whirlpool gas range and oven that are original to the house (1980). Both operate perfectly after all these years and are a testament to the quality of our products once upon a time. Folks have suggested I replace them with "cooler, sleeker, more modern" appliances but it ain't gonna happen. I love them. On the road, well, it depends on how long I'm going out, where I'm ending up, and if I plan on exclusively camping out or mixing hotel stays. My equipment includes a butane single burner for quick trips, a Hot Logic 12v portable oven (this thing is a HUGE time saver), a double burner Coleman stove, a Camp Chef oven / double burner combo, a very high power propane burner (think crawdad boil or turkey fryer) as well as a multi purpose Camp Chef Camp Table which is made of sturdy metal and can be used as a regular cook table to set up on or to make wood or charcoal fires on for cast iron or carbon steel cooking and grilling.

Cheers!